Renounce Of Original Nationality When Naturalized As A Thai

In case of a man with British nationality was married with a Thai woman in Thailand, referring to the following thread (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Passport-Uk-Passport-Dual-Na-t279602.html), will the man lose his British nationality through naturalization because the Thai authority would officially inform the UK Embassy to revoke his British nationality? Or will the man be asked for renounce his British nationality by the Minster?

Thanks in advance for those who provide me the latest information about this issue.

The topic to which you have linked is not about a man of British nationality who acquired his British nationality through naturalization.

A British national who acquires Thai nationality through nationalisation, regardless whether or not he is married to a Thai national, will not lose his British nationality. The Thai authorities will not not ask the UK embassy to revoke his British nationality and it will not ask the man to renounce it.

--

Maestro

i found out recently that despite what it says on my passport, i am not a uk national, i am english and welsh under the new nationality act, it is just that the passport agency doesnt know how to deal with that, of course if you were from scotland you would be scottish and the same for northern ireland as you have your own governmental bodies. the english and the welsh (the latter of which have a mere assembly which is more thn the english have) are without such status

To add to Maestro

It is impossible to lose or renounce UK nationality - there is no way it can be done.

If you are British you will always be British - that is a cross you have to bear :)

That is not true. If you want to voluntarily renounce British nationality, it is indeed possible. You can find the link below.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishc...gupcitizenship/

There are a couple of UK born people in the Australian parliament, the most notable, Welsh born deputy Prime Minister, Juila Gillard, as well as Scottish born Senator Doug Cameron.

The Australian constitution requires that all parliamentarians renounce all other allegiences and citizenships other than their Australian citizenship, otherwise they are ineligible to sit in parliament, so these are two pretty high profile examples of people who have renounced British citizenship to take up a seat in Australian parliament.

In terms of the OP, well, to take out Thai citizenship, there is no need to renounce British citizenship. Thailand doesn't require it.

Corrected ................

I was always told you could not give up UK nationality - even if you did you could always get it back. Both untrue. Sorry.

But how the heck can the UK Gov justify it's charges. £395 to give up nationality.

I was always told you could not give up UK nationality - even if you did you could always get it back. Both untrue. Sorry.

But how the heck can the UK Gov justify it's charges. £395 to give up nationality.

I guess they don't want to make to too easy to jump ship.

To add to Maestro

It is impossible to lose or renounce UK nationality - there is no way it can be done.

If you are British you will always be British - that is a cross you have to bear :D

There was a time under Maggie Thatcher that there were plans afoot to make a British national renounce his/her citizenship if they were a dual national, but believe the idea was sh*t-canned very quickly when somebody pointed out the possibility of said persons not giving up their nationality and actually returning to the UK and signing on the dole/ wanting houses, claiming benefits etc...

If you were born in the UK, you cannot loose your birth right ie you could renounce your citizenship, give up your P/P etc...but if at any point you want it back they have to give it too you...for a price of course..

This would beg the question if somebody actually did this..would they have to take the English language tests, and other tests the immigrants to the UK have to take to be granted Citizenship ?? :) .....knowing loonie Labour they would have to...

This would beg the question if somebody actually did this..would they have to take the English language tests, and other tests the immigrants to the UK have to take to be granted Citizenship ?? :) .....knowing loonie Labour they would have to...

Good point!

I have been Resident outside U.K. almost continually for over 35 years.

I have read on the 'Net some of the questions new applicants for U.K. Citizenship have to answer about "life in Britain" or whatever the wording is.

I frankly admit I would not know the correct answer to 90% of the questions.

Patrick

Good point!

I have been Resident outside U.K. almost continually for over 35 years.

I have read on the 'Net some of the questions new applicants for U.K. Citizenship have to answer about "life in Britain" or whatever the wording is.

I frankly admit I would not know the correct answer to 90% of the questions.

Patrick

My Australian mate has just naturalised as a Brit. He was exempted from the language test as he was a native speaker of it, but he had to take the life in Britain test. Still had to swear allegience to the Queen, even though she is already his head of state.

"In case of a man with British nationality was married with a Thai woman in Thailand, referring to the following thread (http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Passport-Uk-Passport-Dual-Na-t279602.html), will the man lose his British nationality through naturalization because the Thai authority would officially inform the UK Embassy to revoke his British nationality? Or will the man be asked for renounce his British nationality by the Minster?"

Your question has been answered, but, I'm wondering where you got your misinformation? Seriously.

Thanks for all kind replies!!! :)

After reading all above comments, am I right to understand that the Thai authority will do nothing to make sure the British candidate who will possess British nationality after naturalization as Thai???

Thank you so much again for pointing out my mistake/misunderstanding...

The language is not very clear but this page on the UK Border Agency website seems to say that you have a one time right to apply to resume British citizenship after renouncing it in order to obtain or retain another citizenship.

The Thai Nationality Act is rather ambivalent on whether dual nationality is permitted for naturalized Thais. It is neither explicitly permitted nor prohibited but evidence of revocation of original nationality is not required in order to obtain Thai citizenship by naturalization and, by all accounts, airport Immigration officers tacitly accept dual citizenship in the case of dual nationals leaving Thailand to go to a Western country without a visa in their Thai passports. On the other hand it is very explicit in The Nationalilty Act that the citizenship of those who are Thai by descent cannot be revoked against their will. If they wish to renounce their citizenship voluntarily, they can do so and, as in the UK, there is also a procedure to apply to get it back again.

I endorse the views of those above that the children referred to by the OP are incontrovertibly Thai by descent under The Nationality Act whether they have ID cards or not. Unfortunately many amphur officials have been trained by their seniors to stonewall any out of the ordinary requests for ID cards to ensure that hill tribe people, Vietnamese, Burmese and others regarded by the establishment as untermensch don't get the benefits of Thai citizenship. Few of them have ever taken the trouble to read pertinent documents such as The Nationality Act before forming their veiws.

Has anyone pointed out to the OP that getting Thai nationality is like getting a knighthood in the UK (except you pay lots for the privilege).

Not much danger of his dual nationality scenario being an issue unless he is well down the naturalisation path....