Dubai Financial Debacle Will Make Thaksin More Desperate

webfact

I cant believe that article is written by a supposedly objective newspaper. You don't need much in the way of capital to live in UAE, it an almost open door policy!

However, as a property agent, I cant believe that anyone invests in the UAE (bar Oil and shipping)

Why would anyone want to live in a country where you'd die with out air con for a few hours, 9 Months of the year. It must have the most un-environmentally friendly buildings in the world in terms of there carbon footprint!

I cant believe that article is written by a supposedly objective newspaper. You don't need much in the way of capital to live in UAE, it an almost open door policy!

However, as a property agent, I cant believe that anyone invests in the UAE (bar Oil and shipping)

Why would anyone want to live in a country where you'd die with out air con for a few hours, 9 Months of the year. It must have the most un-environmentally friendly buildings in the world in terms of there carbon footprint!

Then I'd advise you-know-who to fight to stay there and to breathe deeply.

Speculation. Mildly amusing. Will probably encourage all the Nation despisers to have a go.

Sorry, but it seems that many "booooo'ers" in this thread simply missed the word "OPINION"....

and the fact that some people here are simply "pi_ed off"!

<snip>

But....... I do suggest that OP's like this one really should identify what the piece is - at least to separate opinion from what (if only in theory for The Nation*) is "news reporting". Perhaps Admin could take a look at this? I also think it's strange that these article OP's seem never to include a clickable link so that we can go to the source directly - is there a valid reason for that?

<snip>

A part-correction to the above. I see now (was it there before?) that "OPINION" appears as a subtitle in the News Clippings menu - and thus also after the topic title. If it wasn't there before, thanks to Admin/Mods for the addition; if it was there before, it reinforces the point that the body of the article could usefully carry the label. Unlike Samuian, I doubt "booooo'ers" :) have a monopoly on missing it........ but then, some just get off on this kind of content irrespective of whether it's speculation, fact or fiction.

Speculation. Mildly amusing. Will probably encourage all the Nation despisers to have a go.

Sorry, but it seems that many "booooo'ers" in this thread simply missed the word "OPINION"....

and the fact that some people here are simply "pi_ed off"!

I guess the word "Informed" is missing in the title also.

Although I am not a Thaksin fan (lol) I cancelled the Nation several years ago, in favor of the more bland Post. At least the Post tries to mask its hatred and contempt for Thaksin. In the Nation, it is dripping from the first page to the last.

Actually I think journalists who have hatred and contempt for Thaksin are perfectly legitimate.I have seem some excellent vitriolic pieces on Thaksin by Thai journalists over the last few years.Bias is okay in op-ed pieces rather of course than reporting of the news (although even in the latter it is very difficult to keep subjective opinion out).Sophon however falls into a class of his own.His opinions aren't really the problem, rather his slovenly journalism and intellectual dishonesty compounded by a nauseating self-satisfaction.But he will always will have an audience because there always a few gullible morons around..

Incidentally don't take anyone seriously who starts talking about Soophon keeping up the Nation's readership base.For anyone who's financially aware look at the paper's accounts.Without some form of external subsidy I doubt whether it has more than a year before the owners put it out of its misery.Not only is it completely unprofitable but is also despite recent cutbacks hemorrhaging cash.

Although I am not a Thaksin fan (lol) I cancelled the Nation several years ago, in favor of the more bland Post. At least the Post tries to mask its hatred and contempt for Thaksin. In the Nation, it is dripping from the first page to the last.

Actually I think journalists who have hatred and contempt for Thaksin are perfectly legitimate.I have seem some excellent vitriolic pieces on Thaksin by Thai journalists over the last few years.Bias is okay in op-ed pieces rather of course than reporting of the news (although even in the latter it is very difficult to keep subjective opinion out).Sophon however falls into a class of his own.His opinions aren't really the problem, rather his slovenly journalism and intellectual dishonesty compounded by a nauseating self-satisfaction.But he will always will have an audience because there always a few gullible morons around..

Incidentally don't take anyone seriously who starts talking about Soophon keeping up the Nation's readership base.For anyone who's financially aware look at the paper's accounts.Without some form of external subsidy I doubt whether it has more than a year before the owners put it out of its misery.Not only is it completely unprofitable but is also despite recent cutbacks hemorrhaging cash.

Dear jayboy,

The last part of your post.... "Incidentally don't take anyone seriously who starts talking about Soophon keeping up the Nation's readership base.For anyone who's financially aware look at the paper's accounts.Without some form of external subsidy I doubt whether it has more than a year before the owners put it out of its misery.Not only is it completely unprofitable but is also despite recent cutbacks hemorrhaging cash. "

Since we seem to have a number of posters on this current thread talking about quality journalism, checking of facts etc., perhaps you could enlighten us about your paragraph above. Is it:

1. Factual and from what source.

2. Your opinion.

On a wider picture, I agree there is room in all newspapers for comment and opinion. After all the "Editorial" in all newspapers is an opinion.

And further, I'm happy to read all 'toxin' pieces. I've learned a lot more about this character by reading newspaper pieces about him. But of course one always needs to sort the facts and interesting credible insight, from the simply nasty and sometimes just hateful rubbish.

Re Sophon, I find this character to be up and down. Many times I've enjoyed his comment, other times he seems to be lacking in credibility and continuity.

Re the Nation, many years ago this newspaper was quite credible (in my opinion, perhaps not the opinion of others), especially in the days when Suttichai Yoon was much closer to the helm.

I wonder whether journalism broadly has suffered in credibility in the internet age, when TV news is desperate to the the first to cover an event.

CNN is an obvious example and of course there are many others. With many stories they are so fast (almost in panic mode) to get something on the screen or somebody on the phone that there cannot possibly be any traditional journalism present.

Some members may recall that 10 minutes after the 2006 coup happened CNN had their journalist on screen standing alongside a tank. His comments were totally shoot from the hip and his answers to questions from the CNN Center were clearly hasty and lacking. In fact he's probably lucky he didn't get into some serious LM trouble.

I am a reader of the Post, but I have few reasons to trash The Nation. Every paper publishes some crap.....but I do wonder why this article, which contains no real information made it to some level of importance.

Thaksin seems to be a survivor and I can't see him putting all his eggs in one basket, just like it seems he has more than one passport. My guess is that he has more invested in Cambodia than he does in Dubai.

It is nothing more than an analysis piece to make people think and discuss... like we are doing.

It is looking at possible or probable scenarios and what they COULD mean to Thailand.

~Fair play IMHO.

Seems Thaksin took a big hit on major financial markets this year by his own admission.

So maybe this is also the tumbling of his hedge investments also. Speculation of course.

As well as speculation about what motivates him and how far.

Better to think about things in advance than be surprised when they just occur.

And better aforethought that didn't come to pass, but at least was considered

and counter-measures put in place, just in case.

I can't rely on one news source, but read several and form my own opinions,

may here don't like some or all of my conclusions... tough.

I also get positive feedback from many also.

The news media are a source of propaganda the world over and always have been. You establish a newpaper/media source or take one over so you can have your say and that includes what bits of the news you choose to report/omit or what bits you choose to stress or what piecesof news are just plain not true. Thailand is no different. In fact if people doubt the news sources here they are probably at an advantage over those who think news sources in western countries are reliable. All you can do is read as many and a svaried accounts as possible, doubt all of them and try to form an opinion. There really is little other choice unless you directly experience an event.

Even in the most communist or egalitarian nations there is ALWAYS

a ruling class that skims the cream first. It has always been so in the human condition.

So to whine that Thailand is so radically different is rather disingenuous.

Admittedly we, in lower echalons often cheer whe members of that upper cadre

take a fall, or don't get their way. That also is part of the human condition.

:):D :D

The last part of your post.... "Incidentally don't take anyone seriously who starts talking about Soophon keeping up the Nation's readership base.For anyone who's financially aware look at the paper's accounts.Without some form of external subsidy I doubt whether it has more than a year before the owners put it out of its misery.Not only is it completely unprofitable but is also despite recent cutbacks hemorrhaging cash. "

Since we seem to have a number of posters on this current thread talking about quality journalism, checking of facts etc., perhaps you could enlighten us about your paragraph above. Is it:

2. Your opinion.

Take a wild guess what "look at the paper's accounts" means.These were published on New Mandala or possibly BP quite recently.The parent company is listed and thus some financial information is available on the SET site.The rag's probable longevity is of course my own opinion.

2. Your opinion.

Take a wild guess what "look at the paper's accounts" means.These were published on New Mandala or possibly BP quite recently.The parent company is listed and thus some financial information is available on the SET site.The rag's probable longevity is of course my own opinion.

Probably BP - that's where I saw an earlier report: http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2009/02/...other-loss.html

(onward links to http://www.bangkokbugle.com/2009/02/nation...m-loss-for.html & from there to http://www.bangkokbugle.com/2009/08/nation...first-half.html & http://www.set.or.th/set/newsdetails.do?ty...e=&country= )

Still, maybe seriously-rich (as opposed to "unusually wealthy" :D ) George will help 'em out? :D

[George........ honestly....... it was a j-o-k-e....... :) ]

Khun Taksin is indeed having a lot of problems. I am neutral, neither for nor against but just from observing what happened, going into politics was his biggest mistake.

I don't think he will ever go broke. May not be a billionaire anymore but from those levels he will not drop into debt, I think he is too smart, I would even say that anybody who can make this kind of money is a genius in his own right so he will find a way unless he ends up in a Thai jail, but even there I would imagine it would not be so hard as money can buy you luxurious life anywhere. Michael Jackson was a different story, he had no idea about money at all so the comparison is not the best in this particular case.

It would be nice if some extended period of peace eventually arrived in the kingdom. Thai people deserve a period of prosperity and for that we need peace! Thai people of all walks of life unite for the common good!

Edited by macwalen

While this article makes little sense, as in how exactly Dubai's crisis would affect Thaksin personally, it's true that he lost millions of dollars in a partnership with others, and I think it was in Dubai. Maybe Africa. I don't know. But really, his investments have not been doing so great the last few years.

The article is pure speculation. He seems to be fairly savvy in his investing and my guess is he has limited exposure. I would tend to think he has money squirreled away safely and investment would be in S.E. Asia where he knows the landscape better and has more power and influence--or friends who have power and influence--over the outcome of his investment.

Money wise, he seems to be a little risk-aversive.

He was the 'brains' behind the Elite Card. :)

The Nation makes many friends and wins praise from staff at ASTV (amoing others)by having this stance. A section of the middle class in thailand like it that way.

This sums up the Nation:

http://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.co...rs-and-enemies/

October 26, 2009...7:07 pm

Following on from The Nation’s racist nationalist editorial yesterday, Sopon Onkgara shows these traits and argues the need to get at traitors and internal enemies (27 October 2009: “A big bully next door and traitors in the house”). As well as declaring Hun Sen a “big bully” (little Cambodia bullying big Thailand?) he claims that the Cambodian premier might find it difficult “to rub shoulders with people from the civilised world after spending half his life in jungles and around the Khmer Rouge killing fields.” Cambodia is also accused of being a “not-so-civilised society.” It becomes clear that Sopon worked on the aforementioned editorial.

Sopon claims that Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is too weak and he demands strong action against Cambodia. Exactly what he leaves unsaid.

He then gets serious about the real problem: traitors within. Recalling Privy Councilor General Prem Tinsulanonda’s “warning” to General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh about the traitors betraying the country in the Puea Thai Party, Sopon shouts that the episode confirms that “some old soldiers [those who joined Peua Thai] and politicians in Thailand,” jabbing a finger at the “most dangerous enemies” who “are the ones who also live in this land.”

Sopon and the Nation are edging ever closer to a position analogous to those right-wing newspapers that called for violent action against internal “enemies” in 1975 and 1976. They should be ashamed.

The problem is they won’t be as they see Thaksin as a devil threatening all that is good and great in Thailand and this justifies racism, nationalism, and presumably violence and bloodshed to ensure that maintenance of the status quo.

Edited by clausewitz

The Nation makes many friends and wins praise from staff at ASTV (amoing others)by having this stance. A section of the middle class in thailand like it that way.

This sums up the Nation:

http://thaipoliticalprisoners.wordpress.co...rs-and-enemies/

October 26, 2009...7:07 pm

Following on from The Nation’s racist nationalist editorial yesterday, Sopon Onkgara shows these traits and argues the need to get at traitors and internal enemies (27 October 2009: “A big bully next door and traitors in the house”). As well as declaring Hun Sen a “big bully” (little Cambodia bullying big Thailand?) he claims that the Cambodian premier might find it difficult “to rub shoulders with people from the civilised world after spending half his life in jungles and around the Khmer Rouge killing fields.” Cambodia is also accused of being a “not-so-civilised society.” It becomes clear that Sopon worked on the aforementioned editorial.

Sopon claims that Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva is too weak and he demands strong action against Cambodia. Exactly what he leaves unsaid.

He then gets serious about the real problem: traitors within. Recalling Privy Councilor General Prem Tinsulanonda’s “warning” to General Chavalit Yongchaiyudh about the traitors betraying the country in the Puea Thai Party, Sopon shouts that the episode confirms that “some old soldiers [those who joined Peua Thai] and politicians in Thailand,” jabbing a finger at the “most dangerous enemies” who “are the ones who also live in this land.”

Sopon and the Nation are edging ever closer to a position analogous to those right-wing newspapers that called for violent action against internal “enemies” in 1975 and 1976. They should be ashamed.

The problem is they won’t be as they see Thaksin as a devil threatening all that is good and great in Thailand and this justifies racism, nationalism, and presumably violence and bloodshed to ensure that maintenance of the status quo.

I can't really find out what you are trying to say.

Hun Sen is an ugly uneducated dictator and murder, I can't really find out out what should be right wing if someone is telling it?

Or is it because he is a communist and everyone who critic against a communist dictator will be automatic branded as right wing and fascist??