My 3 Years Are Nearly Up

colspeed

Hi guys,

Does anybody know about the teacher's knowledge test we have to take?

I've been working on temporary licenses (waivers) for nearly 3 years and now have to take this test. It sounds pretty horrific. 4 tests of 2.5 hours each, covering 8 subjects. "Curriculum development" sends shivers up my spine. It's a very long time since I went to uni!

Any advice? Please?

This has been the million baht question. My 2 year waiver will expire in April. I just heard (TC website) that they will be offering the test in Khon Khen sometime in March with registration happening in January, but this in tentative and has not been confirmed. The problem is that the turn around time for results takes about 2-3 months, (after the start of new term).

Scott (one of the mods) stated that the TC is giving waivers beyond the 2 years. Our boss is going to inquire about this.

OP, if you get further info. on the TLT or waiver extensions please post as I will do the same. Many people are in the same boat as you, so your not alone.

May I add. I know a few teachers (not in my program) who had problems getting a waiver beyond 2 years. Could be that the schools no longer wanted them, so were unwilling to push for further extensions. 1 went back to his home country. The other two got employment elsewhere with fresh 2 year waivers.

Edited by mizzi39

It was my understanding, and I could be wrong, that the tests were designed to be taken after completing the coursework--which is rather long and expensive. You could 'challenge' the tests, but as I understand it, the chances of passing are slim.

Do they offer the courses? If not, the waiver should still be available.

Please keep us posted.

I opted out of any additional course work when it first came up because it probably wouldn't be cost effective for those who are over a certain age. If your in your 20, 30 or maybe 40's you would re-coup the expenses, but after than it starts being an outlay that may not be worth the time and cost.

OK, so it looks like many of us are in the same boat.

While I'm waiting for dates for the exam, my school has asked for a further waiver.

I'll keep reporting what happens. The problem is that I can only say what happens to me. If you do exactly the same, it's still no guarantee that you will get the same outcome!

Meanwhile, I'm keeping my options open by offering my services to universities - where you don't need a TL.

Good Luck

Col