British Hm Forces Pension

I am an ex squaddie contemplating marriage next year before my Non Immigrant 'O' expires. I know I need 400k baht in the bank 3 months prior to marriage in order to qualify for a visa on marriage.

My HM Forces Pension (I am 48 yrs) is paid into my UK bank and equates to more than 400k Baht, so I am thinking I can use it to qualify as income for the visa, and use the lump sum for investment in Thai Business. Has anyone else had experience of proving income of an occupational pension paid in UK? Perhaps the only way is to get it paid into a Thai Bank Account - which is easy - though I would rather have the £ left in UK. Any advice most welcome.

Hi ex squaddie

You only need proof of income from the British Embassy, it is quick and easy-ish, they will not respond the same day if you visit the Embassy with your Paymaster forms. You have to go and pick it up the following day. Ask them to take the Gross figure not net, the tax you pay to HMG is still part of your income. You can also do it by post, I have the address and details but it is at work right now, will have it tomorrow. Another point to bear in mind, is the date it is done, before you apply for the Non Imm O based on marriage extension.

The date on the proof of income form needs to be recent, ie dated at least within a month of the date you are applying. I put well over 1200 Kms on the car when I did it all in August last year. The Immigration also tend to put it under consideration for a month for a first timer, so that was another 800 Km round trip Phetchabun to Nan. If you need any more info PM me mucker.

Hope this helps

ex Jack Aitch

From the Embassy Website

Proof of Income Letters

British nationals applying for a visa, or an extension of a visa, with the Thai Immigration Bureau may be asked to obtain a letter from us verifying their income. To obtain the letter you must be registered with us. We will also need to see a copy of your passport and, either bank statements for the previous 3 months, or the original evidence of your pension or income. We charge a fee of THB 2,088 for the letter, which is ready to collect from the Consular Section at 09:00 on the working day after the application is submitted to us. You can also apply for a proof of income letter by post. To apply by post you must ensure that the above documentation is included and that the total amount of pension or income you receive is clearly stated. You can only pay in the following ways;

* Banker's Draft, plus THB 200 administration fee;

* Postal orders payable to 'British Embassy' to be cashed at Nana Post Office, Bangkok 10110 (Please note that online postal orders are not accepted.

Return of the letter by EMS, if you apply in person or by post, costs an additional THB 100.

The Immigration also tend to put it under consideration for a month for a first timer

Each and every time will have the under consideration period for marriage based extension of stay.

which is why several married guys I know gave up and now get on extension on retirement instead-in and out in a few minutes.

I have just received my pension confirmation letter from the British Embassy and imagine my surprise when, on checking it, I noticed they have quoted my NET monthly pension and not the GROSS figure which I requested when I applied for the letter by post last week. The embassy has supplied a letter quoting the gross figure for the last two years, as requested, with no questions asked, so their policy may have changed since 12 months ago.

Luckily it doesn't matter a toss to me because the net figure is still comfortably above the magic 65K/month, at current exchange rates. But if you are a borderline case and you are relying on the gross figure to get you above the 65K per month mark you may be disappointed. Ask for the gross figure by all means but make sure you've got some extra ickies in the bank come extension time to make up the difference btween the two figures.

Also, don't forget, you must be registered with the LOCATE database if you are applying for a pension letter by post.