Weekly Shopping Bill For A Family Of 3

getithere328

Just wondering if anyone could give me an average cost of a weeks shopping for a family of 3 (2 adults and a 5yr old) if shopping at the market for fruit & veg, tesco & foodland for the rest.

I know there are lots of variables for anyone to give an exact figure, however, we currently spend around £150 per week in UK, thats about 8000 baht I think.

Before we move to Pattaya I would like to have an idea of what I should allow for the basics.

Oh, I hear that you cant get good tea like here in UK, is that true?

Thanks.

everyone is correct on their estimates; all depends on what you want.

I have 4 in my family 2 adults & 2 babies; our monthly budget does not exceed 30,000 baht; this includes utilities and doctors visit.

(mortgage & car payments, booze excluded)

3,000 Baht a week shopping bill for a family of 3 which includes beer for home consumption.

i spend 13 to 15,000 baht a month for me/wife and 12 year old daughter but what you have to bear in mind is

a)the quality you get is higher

b)150 pound in the uk gets you 1 trolley half full 150 quid over here gets you 4 trolleys full thats everything for cooking cleaning washing

I then spend maybe 500 baht a week on fresh veg she goes to market everyday

To be honest my standard of eating/living is 3 times that it was in the uk were was corned beef is now best steak

Mileage will vary:

800ml Milk - 42 Baht.

1kg Chicken breast meat - 50 Baht.

630 ml Leo beer - 43 Baht.

5 large apples - 40 Baht.

1 litre gasoline - 33 Baht.

Can of Coke - 15 Baht.

1 kg Rice - 25 Baht.

1 kg Wheat Flour - 21 Baht.

Mileage will vary:

800ml Milk - 42 Baht.

Can of Coke - 15 Baht.

1 kg Rice - 25 Baht.

UK Costs for the above based on Tesco web site and an exchange rate of £1= 54 baht

1 ltr Milk- £0.90p = 50 baht

1 kg chicken breast meat- £3.75 = 200 baht

1 ltr Beer- £1.79 = 96 baht

5 apples- £1.00 = 54 baht

1ltr of petrol- £1.05 = 56 baht

Can of coke-£0.50 = 27 baht

1 kg Rice-£1.50 = 81 baht

1kg wheat flour-£1.17 = 63 baht

3,000 Baht a week shopping bill for a family of 3 which includes beer for home consumption.

i spend 13 to 15,000 baht a month for me/wife and 12 year old daughter but what you have to bear in mind is

b)150 pound in the uk gets you 1 trolley half full 150 quid over here gets you 4 trolleys full thats everything for cooking cleaning washing

To be honest my standard of eating/living is 3 times that it was in the uk were was corned beef is now best steak

That's true if you fill all four carts up with offal.

and glass noodles and only eat Thai food.

But it's not that big a difference to the cost of shopping in Tessco Thailand and Tesco Uk

A few years back it was cheap, but the crap exchange rate and the ever increasing cost of goods in tesco / lotous, makes that gaps not so big now.

certainly not the size you pulled out the air.

BTW was in ASDA afew weeks ago in the uk, filled a cart up for 80 quid.

BTW was in Tesco/Lotus yesterday cart 3/4 full 4.500 baht.

Have a nice day.

Edited by plasticpig

But it's not that big a difference to the cost of shopping in Tessco Thailand and Tesco Uk

A few years back it was cheap, but the crap exchange rate and the ever increasing cost of goods in tesco / lotous, makes that gaps not so big now.

Have a nice day.

as i said it depends what you want to eat if you come to thailand and want to live on pizza ,and all the rest of the importad goods then you pay imported prices.

i eat mainly thai food that is correct but has its a lot more healthy than a bowl of deep fried gloop from europe.

But still have plenty of fresh meat /fruit etc that is not exspensive you want your peaches ,plums etc your going to pay for them if you can cope with pineapple bannanas dragon fruit etc then its cheap.

its all relevant to how you you want your eating habits and lifestyle to be as cheap or as exspensive as your willing to pay same as in a bar some are 50 baht some are 150 for same product??

Mileage will vary:

800ml Milk - 42 Baht.

Can of Coke - 15 Baht.

1 kg Rice - 25 Baht.

Having lived here in LOS for a while, how much are these things back in Old Blighty now?? Anyone have comparative prices? Never mind the Leo beer.. :)

Edited by 7

Mileage will vary:

800ml Milk - 42 Baht.

Can of Coke - 15 Baht.

1 kg Rice - 25 Baht.

Having lived here in LOS for a while, how much are these things back in Old Blighty now?? Anyone have comparative prices? Never mind the Leo beer.. :D

Didn't you read post #14?? :)

you will also have trouble in finding a decent british sausage and decent bit of bacon or rich tea biscuit or digestive biscuit or a nice pastie or

a decent normal loaf of bread(not the stuff thats half size)and a nice piece of mature CHEESE,OR even a big tin of quality street in thailand tesco,this is just to name a few items ,yes these items can be found but you may have to do your weekly shop in a few places,

im love thai food so this was not a big problam for me to do without,but i do no some expats DONT and WONT eat thai food, :)

but now me and my wife are in the uk at the minute its the other way around,they (tesco) have virtually no thai food or ingredients,so we have hunt around for the odd thai grocery

store.

Edited by yeesipha

There are only two of us and our average grocery bill is about 3000 baht/week. We don't drink - so no wine/booze. When our son comes home from school to stay with us for 3 months :-( our bill goes up to 4000 baht/week.

The above does not include going out to eat at your neighborhood restaurants. Each time we go out we spent a minimum of 1000 baht.

Imported stuff is very expensive here.

Edited by whatchamacallit

you will also have trouble in finding a decent british sausage and decent bit of bacon or rich tea biscuit or digestive biscuit or a nice pastie or

a decent normal loaf of bread(not the stuff thats half size)and a nice piece of mature CHEESE,OR even a big tin of quality street in thailand tesco,this is just to name a few items ,yes these items can be found but you may have to do your weekly shop in a few places,

im love thai food so this was not a big problam for me to do without,but i do no some expats DONT and WONT eat thai food, :)

You can get all that in Carrefour, except the sausage which is in KPN behind Carrefour.

Have a nice day.

as i said it depends what you want to eat if you come to thailand and want to live on pizza ,and all the rest of the importad goods then you pay imported prices.

i eat mainly thai food that is correct but has its a lot more healthy than a bowl of deep fried gloop from europe.

But still have plenty of fresh meat /fruit etc that is not exspensive you want your peaches ,plums etc your going to pay for them if you can cope with pineapple bannanas dragon fruit etc then its cheap.

its all relevant to how you you want your eating habits and lifestyle to be as cheap or as exspensive as your willing to pay same as in a bar some are 50 baht some are 150 for same product??

How dare you eat thai food in Thailand,bloody disgusting lol.Some people come on here and actualy have a go at others who dont eat much foreign food,the mind boggles.

Also a question as to where you shop + getting organized. you can buy most things here it is just finding where.. Example, Instant Coffee cost 458 baht at the Supermarket, in Thailand but buy on the Malaysian boarder the same coffee, same size cost 215 baht, in the next Village to me is a electrical shop, and about a third of the shop is food stuff from the south.. they sell the same coffee for 289 baht.. OK I have a friend that drives there every month on Business and brings loads of much cheaper food stuff back, as well as many car parts.

Likewise when you have been here for some time, you can share/split catering packs/full boxes with friends

Could you detail what your saying.

6,000 to 10,000 total all in or

10,000 plus trips to the shops, if so how much for the extra trips.

I think all have done well and agree with most everything, i spend less with smaller family but have found looking and asking around has gotten me things i would not have gotten in the market. I spend 6,000- 10,000 and that depends if i go to stock up on ( back home items) TEA , the others are right pack what you like and arrange for someone to send to you before you leave.

You may have to drive around a bit but plan and it is a good way to get out and you will be happy.

I can shop Big C south pattaya then walk over to drop off laundry or pick up , walk 10 meters to Mr Moo and get Bacon , sausage, meat pies toss that in the car a head home.

Plan and you will be happy, you can find it all just ask.