Upgraded From Vista Home Basic To 7 Starter Edition

vertigo4u

Maybe there is somebody, who can give me an Advice

I have a new HP Laptop with 4 Gig RAM

The Performance with Vista Home was so slow, that some advised me to upgrade to Windows 7 Starter Edition

now the Things are even worse

With several open Firefox Browsers, there are most no Response anymore, when I want to click from 1 Tap to another

I have run my Registery Cleaner than and its even more worse

what should I do now?

I was so happy with my elder Laptop running with XP - should I downgrade?

and if so, how?

thanks in advance for any Suggestion

Concur with above. Save what data files you can and do a clean install of Windows 7 (i.e., Windows 7 basically does a reformat and installs itself...your programs/data files are wiped from the face of earth). Windows 7 is definitely better/faster than Vista, and XP is fast turning into a legacy operating system. Yea, reloading your programs can be a pain if you had quite a few loaded, but it's probaby less pain than trying (hoping) to fix the current problem.

I did an "upgrade" from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium and other than a wireless connection issue (intermittent) for a few weeks which got fixed once I reloaded the BlueTooth driver for my Tosihba laptop, the upgrade went without any other pain...and it only took about 3 hours to complete the process. And what was so great, I didn't have to reload any programs--they all still worked fine. Note: Your results may vary.

Whoever advised you to "upgrade" to Windows 7 starter edition owes you about 1,800 baht!

Windows 7 starter edition only supports up to 2GB RAM, so you are only utilizing half of what's in your computer, so if you got the advise from one a friend I would have a serious talk with him about giving such advise in the future :)

Get Windows 7 Home Basic (or higher) and you will notice an increase in performance for sure.

I have a new HP Laptop with 4 Gig RAM

The Performance with Vista Home was so slow, that some advised me to upgrade to Windows 7 Starter Edition

A "new HP Laptop with 4 GB RAM" and factory-installed Vista is maybe not a perfectly smooth running system, but should definitely not be 'so slow' that you start complaining. That said I assume that a Laptop that comes with 4gigs Ram is also equiped with a state-of-the-art CPU and video card.

Was Vista preinstalled, and by whom? 32bit or 64bit? What is the exact model (sticker on the bottom of the laptop). Is it really new or 2nd hand?

If the clean re-install doesn't solve the issue you might consider a hardware problem. Bad blocks on the harddrive might bring a system to a crawl for instance (usually before symptomps get worse).

Downgrade to XP could prove difficult for inexperienced users since you'll need to find the XP drivers on your own (HP will probably not list them on their website for newer laptops). Windows 7 is the way to go.

Don't forget to go with 64bit (Vista or 7) otherwise the OS cannot use the whole 4 gigs. You cannot upgrade from 32bit to 64bit btw, this requires a re-install.

welo