Anyone Have Schindlers List With Thai Subs?

leftcross

i am british and my wife always asks me lots of questions when i refuse to eat or drink in places that are linked to germany. when i try to tell her why, she just says ''it was a long time ago, don't worry'' etc etc.

she doesn't really understand what happened 70 odd years ago but i would like her to see what went on.

if anyone can recommend any thai books explaining this subject i would be glad to hear the names (i have looked but haven't found any). alternatively schindlers list could be a step in the right direction.

i have searched all the legit movie shops but havent been able to find a copy. i also went to the stalls on silom to ask but no-one had heard of it (strange as it won all the oscars when it came out).

does anyone have a copy? if it doesnt have thai subs then english is ok.....thanks in advance.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a copy at Koh San, so I am sure it has Thai subtitles.  I haven't looked yet as that movie is one you need to be in the right mood to see.

I am not really big on sins of the father-type thinking, so while I believe the movie is a must-see, I do not boycott German goods or services.

I am Jewish and I think it is very unusual indeed for even Jews to specifically boycott German products. I really don't think that has anything to do with remembering the holocaust. Of course if they are Kosher they won't be eating at German restaurants because it is pork city in there. I personally like German food very much. There are some very old Germans who used to be Nazis still around and there are neo-Nazis all over the world, most are not German. I also get the impression that the modern relationship between Germany and Israel is quite good. I can understand that old Jews who actually survived Nazi Germany might have lingering psychological issues experiencing German culture, even the language, but again, they represent a small number of people. I personally bear no grudge whatsoever with modern German people. However, I did visit Germany as a teen in the 1970s and at that time, I was looking quite hard at a lot of the older Germans, but again, much time has passed.

I hate to say it, but I bet you quite soon we are going to hear from people who say that Israelis are just like Nazis. It is so predictable. Please prove me wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

dangerous discussion....

...sitting in a glashouse....should not throw with stones(f.e. RAF-Dresden bombing)

lot of countries before were british colonies...or not?

i think most countries have their "special history"

(TV not the place to discuss the holocaust)

Edited by goldfinger

Janis Joplin said it best:

I'd like to do a song of great social and political import.

It goes like this.

[sung, a capella:]

Oh Lord, won't'cha buy me a Mercedes Benz?

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,

So Lord, won’t'cha buy me a Mercedes Benz?

Oh Lord, won’t'cha buy me a color TV?

[Dialing For Dollars] 1 is trying to find me.

I wait for delivery each day until three,

So oh Lord, won’t'cha buy me a color TV ?

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town?

I’m counting on you, Lord, please don’t let me down.

Prove that you love me and buy the next round,

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a night on the town?

Everybody!

Oh Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends,

Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,

So, Lord, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz?

[spoken:]

That’s it!

[Janis laughs.]

post-37101-1259772690_thumb.jpg

BTW, I am sorry if I am being flip about this. I think it is a really great idea for Thais to see films like Schindler's List. The Thai education system seems to be lacking on such matters. However, I really really can't respect the idea of avoiding German products. Two totally different things, really.

Edited by Jingthing

(TV not the place to discuss the holocaust)

Exactly.  This thread is specifically about finding a Thai-subtitled copy of the movie, and while it can be acceptable to respond to his second comment on why he wants the movie, let's not let this get into a general Holocaust/Germany/Israel/whatever thread.

So far so good, but please don't let this devolve.

I am Jewish and I think it is very unusual indeed for even Jews to specifically boycott German products. I really don't think that has anything to do with remembering the holocaust. Of course if they are Kosher they won't be eating at German restaurants because it is pork city in there. I personally like German food very much. There are some very old Germans who used to be Nazis still around and there are neo-Nazis all over the world, most are not German. I also get the impression that the modern relationship between Germany and Israel is quite good. I can understand that old Jews who actually survived Nazi Germany might have lingering psychological issues experiencing German culture, even the language, but again, they represent a small number of people. I personally bear no grudge whatsoever with modern German people. However, I did visit Germany as a teen in the 1970s and at that time, I was looking quite hard at a lot of the older Germans, but again, much time has passed.

I hate to say it, but I bet you quite soon we are going to hear from people who say that Israelis are just like Nazis. It is so predictable. Please prove me wrong.

Well said Jingthing.

I think there is nothing wrong with the OP wanting his wife to understand that period of history. Personally, I have tried to create some understanding within my Thai family when I have seen them (unknowingly) wearing swastika symbols and iron crosses, etc.

I am British and I have never come across another Brit who displayed prejudice towards Germans or German goods, except in jest (“One World Cup and two world wars” was a favourite football chant when I was a boy)*.

German does not = Nazi

British does not = football hooligan

However, I do understand the feelings of utter hatred of the guys who suffered as prisoners or combatants during those times. I don’t expect they will get over it and I wouldn’t insult them by trying to pacify them.

To the OP – if you want your wife to really understand Schindlers List you have a long hard struggle ahead of you. The history we were taught during our formative years means nothing at all to Thai people. Thais have their own history and it doesn’t include the holocaust, or even the Death Railway.

Sorry if you lost family members during WWII, but almost everyone (British, German, US, Canadian, Aussie, Indian, Israeli, Italian, French … I could go on) did.

*The ball was definitely over the goal line. The Hungarian linesman was correct.

Edited by chickenslegs

Shop around and have a look at some of the video (DVD or SVCD) shops.

Nearly all the films sold there have Thai subtitles, many are completely dubbed in Thai and some DVDs have multiple languages and subtitles to choose from.

Edited by BigWheelMan

To the OP – if you want your wife to really understand Schindlers List you have a long hard struggle ahead of you. The history we were taught during our formative years means nothing at all to Thai people. Thais have their own history and it doesn’t include the holocaust, or even the Death Railway.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

What is going to be your next step.

Dont eat Mc donalds or wearing a jeans because they invaded Iraq

Dont eat English food and wearing Clarks shoes as they had a war in the Falkland Island.

Don't eat Pizza and lasagna as wel never driving a Italian car as Benito Mussolini did bad things as well in a war

Dont eat Thai food, drink Singa beer and avoiding all Thai people, and people who can talk Thai language as the Tuk Tuks making many noise.

All Crap,

Pick up yourself and enjoy live as it is to short to keep punishing yourself.

Your wife is right, for the sake of Auld Lang Syne have a Bratwurst. Shindler's List though is a classic and you could always download the film in torrent format then download the Thai subtitles seperately and then play through VLC player.

I once saw a Taiwanese woman drop a book in shock and disgust when she found the book she was reading was printed in Japan.

I thought that was pretty wierd too. But she did not learn about what the Chinese did from some movie, her family lived through it (some at least).

Regardless, most Americans have gotten over the civil war, and their is a civility between the north and the south.

Download it then pick up the subs from somewhere like subscene.com. If you want to buy the DVD, Khao San or Pantip would probably be your best bet.

Worth her seeing for a bit of history, but as others, best to get over it as it's a bit much blaming an entire nation from the actions of a few.

To the OP – if you want your wife to really understand Schindlers List you have a long hard struggle ahead of you. The history we were taught during our formative years means nothing at all to Thai people. Thais have their own history and it doesn't include the holocaust, or even the Death Railway.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Maybe, but it's a start. I'd have some of my friends watch. There are lessons to be learnt. One of the lessons is that the dehumanizing of others leads to the events shown in the film.

The comments my friends make about people from Issan, Burma and now Cambodia are troubling. Schindler was a human hero: Human because he was flawed with weaknesses and a hero because of his mental strength and sense of sacrifice.

Oskar's story can make the difference for those that do not have a grasp of the concecpt of right and wrong.

i refuse to eat or drink in places that are linked to germany

Why? I don't get it either. Explain.

Please don't poison someones way of thinking with your ignorant attitude. Before , when i saw the topic thought what a comendable idea. I think everyone should be aware of the atrocities committed. But reading your explanation of the post!!? How can you blame people who were not even born at that time for what went on, and not eat German food. Stupidity personified. It's a lesson no Thai needs to learn, atleast not from you.

I borrowed a copy from a friend and watched it with my wife, even after seeing it she did not make any comment or ask any questions about it, I am not sure she understood the magnitude of what she was watching.

I consider myself to be a student of the Holocaust having studied all aspects of it in depth and collected thousands of files and pictures on the subject, she often looks over my shoulder when I have open files on the subject but really passes no comment, If your wife is interested then fine show her the movie but if not put it in your collection. It's a good fictional comment on a factual event although not quite accurate in places.

I probably know a lot more about the subject than most people but would not boycott any establishment because of it, it was a long time back and we have new generations who want forgive and to forget.

If you are really bent on teaching your wife have you thought about using the Google translator to to translate a few of the many files on the subject that are available on line. If you really want to do this you can PM me for some links.

Only you can ask yourself if it is really a good idea to teach your wife about these events that happened a lifetime ago. On balance I personally suspect it is probably not such a good idea.

OP sounds like a right idiot. Anyway, I hope you get the movie and your wife understands the mixed signals that you're sending her as obviously Schindler is a good guy AND a German.

Grow up son.

Edited by bkkmick

I was astonished the first time I spoke to a Brit who boycotted German restaurants or pubs, because of the war. I am Jewish, and I don't hold anything against modern day Germans. They have completely repudiated their past. But, apparently, there are a number of Brits who still hold grudges against Germany. Imagine if the U.S. did the same with Japan? Now, if we could all just get along, and be careful not to mention the war.

Yes you can blame them. It's pathetic blaming a nation for something that happened a long time ago and was no fault of theirs. Guys like the OP are sad bastards and I feel sorry for the wife. She sounds more mature than him.

Edited by bkkmick

I was astonished the first time I spoke to a Brit who boycotted German restaurants or pubs, because of the war. I am Jewish, and I don't hold anything against modern day Germans. They have completely repudiated their past. But, apparently, there are a number of Brits who still hold grudges against Germany. Imagine if the U.S. did the same with Japan? Now, if we could all just get along, and be careful not to mention the war.

to be honest I think you will find the majority of Brits really don't have a beef with the Germans. I'm a Brit myself, and have met some wonderful German people, and have always found them to be very hospitable in their own country. However, some of the older ones do still have a problem with them, including my Gran who was in London during the blitz , she has plenty of stories about that time, and I can fully understand why she finds it difficult. However, boycotting German food and produce, is all rather bizarre.