King’s Cup Work Permit Crackdown Rumors Are False

webfact

King's Cup work permit crackdown rumors are false

gallery_327_1086_7092.jpg

King's Cup participants can keep to the task at hand and not

worry about being arrested over work permit violations.

INSET: Col Chanatpol Yongbunjerd

PHUKET CITY: Rumors of an imminent crackdown on foreign sailors taking part in the King's Cup Regatta over work permit violations are untrue, the head of Phuket Immigration has confirmed.

A thread on the popular Thai Visa web forum yesterday started with the post:

"Latest from Phuket Town... raiding King's Cup regatta tomorrow for professional sailors without work permits...."

As Immigration Police would have to play a role in any such crackdown, the Gazette contacted Phuket Immigration Police Superintendent Col Chanatpol Yongbunjerd to see if the rumor was true; it wasn't, and isn't.

"I guarantee that such arrests won't happen," he said.

"The Phuket Immigration Office helps promote Phuket tourism and works to ensure convenience to all participants in this event," he said.

He encouraged anyone who has a problem in this regard to contact him directly on his mobile at 081-894 7194.

So it will be smooth sailing for any and all taking part.

The Phuket Gazette is a proud sponsor of the annual King's Cup regattas.

Today's forecast for Phuket by the Meteorological Department calls for partly cloudy skies with widely scattered thundershowers over 30 percent of the area in the evening.

Winds will be northeasterly at 15km/h to 35km/h and wave height will be about one meter inshore and up to two meters offshore, making for some fine sailing conditions.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/3

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the fun part: Who started that post and what will be the consequences for posting non-truths? :)

Something true on Wednesday can be false on Thursday. Some of the officers eager to act received an advice from the top brass to stay quiet.

I think it's great...

..but it's also a great public example of the discretionary use of power, is it not?

I wonder whether workers in slightly less touristy places can relax as easily about their work permit situations.

'

I guess cracking down on this event could well have set a scary precedent, of interest to the countless part-time teachers doing the 'Language School' circuits in Thailand.

Happy Sailing.

Yeah right...Because if there's anyone you can trust in Thailand it's a Policeman or Government official :) .

There probably will be a nice welcoming comity for the winner if they happen not to be of Thai Nationality. Anybody remember what happened to the Kenyan marathon runners in Pattaya? Just so happened that the first and second place runners were disqualified allowing the 3rd place runner to be awarded the win. Guess where she came from???

RawaiDragon with his usual reliability of information..

Same person posted both a 'eyewitness fact' and 'denial' of a recent event also.

Or........maybe he meant the King's Cup Golf being played in Khon Kaen - just replace sailor with golfer - easy mistake. :)

Immigration, visa and work permit regs can different on a Friday from the Monday. I guess some of you have discovered that, and of course with "officials" :D having discretion on how they apply them it makes it more of a circus.

Edited by sunnymarky

It amazes me that so many people still think that Forum content on the Internet, can be relied on to be accurate. It's well known that anyone with a PC can access and post information on it, so why do people think that only the intelligent and unbiased postings will be found on it?

So administrators who are the only ones who can start a thread on the Thailand News board are not reliable? :)

I think someone is "unintelligent and biased"

Edited by sunnymarky

Yeah right...Because if there's anyone you can trust in Thailand it's a Policeman or Government official :) .

There probably will be a nice welcoming comity for the winner if they happen not to be of Thai Nationality. Anybody remember what happened to the Kenyan marathon runners in Pattaya? Just so happened that the first and second place runners were disqualified allowing the 3rd place runner to be awarded the win. Guess where she came from???

Is this true? Fantastic! Ha ha ha ha.

When was this, was this just run?

Same person posted both a 'eyewitness fact' and 'denial' of a recent event also.

Any dragon slayers available on Rawai?

Great thread if you have nothing better todo.

I wonder whether workers in slightly less touristy places can relax as easily about their work permit situations.
In general, no place I know is as strict about work permits as Phuket.

Nearly all diving instructors here have a workpermit e.g., try to find the same on Phi Phi, Koh Tao, etc.

So your statement that in tourist places it is easier to work without a workpermit I very much doubt.

Now the fun part: Who started that post and what will be the consequences for posting non-truths? :)

Who really cares about a few millionaires getting nabbed by immigration while they're playing at boat racing in there 50 million dollar toys? Let's face it they probably have penny jars full of 10B coins next to the bed that can cover the whole crews immigration fines 100 times over. True or not so what?

I was in a government hospital in Nakorn Si Thammarat the otherday and some poor little Burmese kid, about 10, was missing 3 toes on one foot and his left leg which was severed just below the knee due to an industrial accident. His mum and dad didn't go to visit him for fear of deportation and he was just waiting to be well enough to be carted off back to Burma, on his own! He still had a smile on his face though.

Kicking out the millionaires and there sailing toys sounds more just to me than kicking out a 10 year old crippled Burmese factory worker. I thought child labour was illegal? Obviously more illegal than a professional sailor steering a boat without a work permit!

That is true so make your own minds up?

Edited by Jirapa

Same person posted both a 'eyewitness fact' and 'denial' of a recent event also

Since when does anybody need a work permit to participate in sport. Let's hope the never hold the Olympics in Thailand.

Since when does anybody need a work permit to participate in sport. Let's hope the never hold the Olympics in Thailand.

Well, erm, every single professional footballer in the UK (who isnt from the EU) for starters.........................

Well, erm, every single professional footballer in the UK (who isnt from the EU) for starters.........................

Surely not "every" professional footballer in the UK. The ones who are employed and get paid by a UK club for sure, but a professional brasilian player on a turnament in the UK don't need a work permit. There are visa types for sport in many countries, but that usually includes a longer stay and even getting a contract locally. Not for a match for sure.

Edited by baramunchies