Is There A Decent Strawberry In Thailand?

nickjam

I'm craving a decent strawberry but can't seem to find anything good at a reasonable price in Bangkok. Does anyone know of a decent supplier anywhere in Thailand? I read that strawberries thrive when the day is hot and the night is cool so I'm guessing up north would be the only likely place. I'm looking for the classic heart shaped strawberry with a nice sweet taste. I'd also like to know what sort of prices they go for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Seen them as low as 3K for 100thb in Mae Rim.......just north of CM and grown upland from there. have seen the large, beautiful tasteless ones as well as the smaller sweeter ones. Now is the season to buy because there is less toxic spray on them and production is at it's peak. I sometimes buy them for homemade preserves.

OP and everybody else! Strawberies ... Yammm.

I miss them too. For years...

Soft, Juicy, Sweet, Aromatic, Tender, Red inside out, Bruise easily,- Remember how they used to be? In season for a brief time only.

Hard, Dry, Sour, No Smell, Crunchy, Red outside, Green inside, Keep for weeks,- this is what they call strawberies today. Delivered 6am all year around.

Please, don't call them strawberies, those GM mutant freaks, weighing at 6-8 pce/pound.

Nostalgic Backsoon. :)

Soft, Juicy, Sweet, Aromatic, Tender, Red inside out, Bruise easily,- Remember how they used to be? In season for a brief time only.

Hard, Dry, Sour, No Smell, Crunchy, Red outside, Green inside, Keep for weeks,- this is what they call strawberies today. Delivered 6am all year around.

Please, don't call them strawberies, those GM mutant freaks, weighing at 6-8 pce/pound.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot. This is not Thailand alone I am talking about: EU, US, AUS,...

Cut in half put in bowl sprinkle a little sugar on, put in fridge overnight = Soft, Juicy, Sweet, :)

Edit: is also the time for Big Soft, Juicy, Sweet Mango, at market this week 30 baht per kilo

Edited by ignis

Nostalgic Backsoon. :D

:D

I grew up in Western Massachusetts...in the late 1950's.

Back then there were a lot of backcountry roads in the Berkshire hills...places where old farmhouses once were but where the families had long since left. Along the side of those roads...where the trees and bushes were cut back yearly by the road crews...there were a lot of wild strawberries growing.

You could walk along those roads and pick them in the spring. April and May were the peak months. after the snow was gone.

We used to have a week long festival in my town...strawberry shortcake...fresh strawberries on buttered flour biscut shortcakes...with a topping of whipped cream.

Then the town started spraying herbicides to kill the brush rather than cutting the brush back.

By 1967 or 1968, not a wild strawberry plant could be found. More "cost-effective".

Progress they called it.

:)

It is not only the way strawberries are grown (under glass, open country), but also the race.

Under glass are mostly the races that are soft & juicy.

In lots of European countries the soft kind is still readily available.

But the hard kind is making inroads.....in the big supermarket chains.

Your first line tells it all, soft, bruising easily.......

Your second line tells it too, hard, dry, crunchy.

It is not what the customers really want, it is just very much cheaper for the shops to tell you that you prefer those imitation strawberiies.

And of course, much more profitable for the shops!

Strawberry Jam with No Sugar Added! (I suppose that in Thailand, you can use Equal instead of Splenda...)

Makes: About 3 (1-cup) jars or 48 servings, 1 Tbsp. each

3 cups prepared strawberries (buy about 3 pt. fully ripe strawberries)

3/4 cup water

1 box SURE.JELL For Less or No Sugar Needed Recipes Premium Fruit Pectin (Can we just use Jello?)

1/2 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granular or 12 SPLENDA® (use 18 for sweeter jam) Packets No Calorie Sweetener

1 tbsp lemon juice

BRING boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain jars well before filling.

STEM and crush strawberries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Measure exactly 3 cups prepared fruit into 6- or 8-quart saucepot. Stir in water. Gradually add pectin, stirring until well blended.

BRING mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Boil exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in SPLENDA® Granular or SPLENDA® Packets. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.

LADLE immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2-piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.)

KRAFT KITCHENS TIPS

Substitute

Prepare as directed, substituting 1 thawed can (12 oz.) frozen white grape juice or apple juice concentrate for the 3/4 cup water. Makes about 4 (1-cup) jars or 64 servings, 1 Tbsp. each. (Nutrition Information Per Serving with White Grape Juice: 20 calories, 5g carbohydrate, 4g sugars. Nutrition Information Per Serving with Apple Juice: 15 calories, 4g carbohydrate, 3g sugars. )

Inversion Method

To use inversion instead of boiling water bath method, turn jars upside-down after bands have been screwed tightly. After 5 minutes, turn upright. Avoid improper lid seal by filling jars immediately with hot fruit mixture.

NUTRITION INFORMATION

Nutrition (per serving)

Calories 5

Total fat 0g

Saturated fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg

Sodium 15mg

Nostalgic Backsoon. :lol:

GM? Not necessarily so. There are lots grown up here in Chiang Rai and the story that I was told is that the original stock was imported as part of a Royal Rural Development Project years and years ago. Certainly there was (until about 10 years ago, anyway) a commercial soft fruit nursery in Norfolk, UK, that had on its notepaper supply warrants for both the Queen of England and the King of Thailand, related to soft fruit propagation stock. I knew that nurseryman well and he would turn in his grave if you suggested that his business ever went within a million miles of GM.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies. Got some NZ ones from Tops, plump, juicy and well nice! Also got some ones from Chiang Mai @ Tops for a comparison. Dry, hard, small, sour and naff I'm sorry to say. I'll keep looking for a decent Thai strawberry.