Flying Bkk To Khon Kaen - Who Goes There ?

peter991

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes - I misread the prices. In March next year, Thai Airways website shows 2490 baht each way (including taxes) between BKK and KKC. Can I get a Thai friend to book and pay my fare in Thailand - cheaper than me booking and paying for it online?

Thanks, Peter

Take a bus or the train

Much cheaper!

And many more per day!

Not tried the train but most of the buses are pretty horrible and take 6 hours. The exception would be Nakhonchai Air First Class which is reasonably comfortable with personal video and music (mostly thai), more like sitting on a plane !

I agree with other reply. If you have the time, the bus is an good option to go to KKC, especially if you have friends meeting you in in BKK and can assist you, it takes between 5-6 hrs is comfortable, inexpensive (about 200- 400 bth) and you get to see the country. If you are planing to rent a car in KKC, also renting in BKK and driving to KKC is an other option, easy drive (once you get out of BKK, about 5 hrs) nice wide highway. ( don't believe all the stories about driving in Thailand , done it many times never had a problem)

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes - I misread the prices. In March next year, Thai Airways website shows 2490 baht each way (including taxes) between BKK and KKC. Can I get a Thai friend to book and pay my fare in Thailand - cheaper than me booking and paying for it online?

Thanks, Peter

Not sure about that, I usually buy the ticket at the airport after a long haul flight.

Thai Airways is the only one, that's true. But I've flown from Khon Kaen to BKK for much less, 1700 the last time.

I've also used the bus - it's comfortable, but for me 45 min on a plane or 6 hours in a bus - the airplane wins. But that's just me.

I've also driven and it's a beautiful drive much of the way. If that's an option for you, I'd recommend it - lovely countryside, some mountains, a marvelous lake. It's worth the drive, and you can stop at your leisure and enjoy views, shops, etc.

Seeker

I make this route often. I used to fly, but then I discovered that a bus actually goes from Swampy to KK. The bus terminal is close to Swampy and the transport to the bus is free. This is I think a state owned bus and comfortable enough. Basically I chose the way that is fastest (least waiting time). I have also gone with Nakonche air. That costs a taxi drive extra, but if the wait for flight or state bus is 5 hours or more I will opt for Naconche air.

I have also taken a private taxi that took me all the way to the door at KK. That was really nice but cost too much. I think about 5.000 baht. That can be done a lot cheaper I am sure. I think I have every angle covered with this Swampy-KK route.

I.ll be going this route next week, but flying this time. Waiting time minimal (3 hours) and tickets paid for with air-miles.

Have a nice trip whatever you decide.

I was at Khon Kaen airport two days ago, to use the Post Office there. I enquired at the Thai Ticket office and was offered flights on 2nd January at 1290 plus tax, making it about 1,800 each way.

You will always get a better deal at the Thai Ticket office as opposed to online or using an agent. The only problem is that it is a very busy route and quite often all 3 flights per day are fully booked, making you lucky if you can get a stand-by. I often go to the ticket office 2 -3 days before wanting to fly and always get a better price than offered online.

Both AirAsia and 1-2-GO have tried this route and canceled it after a short time-which obviously means there is too little demand. AirAsia may try again when they get more of the new aircraft delivered and have to find routes for them.

For THAI this route is a special case-over 70% or so of pax are govt and the like officials-they dont pay their tickets themselves-and are also bound to use THAI. This is the case on most domestic THAI-but on this route far more as usual.