Farang Fugitive Arrested By Thai Immigration Police For Tax Evation

Rimmer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Thai position on extradition is based on the Extradition Act of 1929 which allows for extradition of alleged criminals in absence of a treaty on the subject. Under the Act, the Royal Thai Government may at its discretion surrender to foreign States persons accused or convicted of crimes committed within the jurisdiction of such States, “provided that under the laws of Thailand the crimes are punishable with imprisonment for no less than one year.” Historically, Thailand has extradited persons to countries with which Thailand does not have an extradition treaty on the basis of reciprocity.

The key here is that the defendant in this case is not resisting extradition.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

When a topic is sent out to everybody as a news alert why is there always someone who expresses surprise at the amount of people reading it.?????

HL :)

Possibly because he is surprised that someone else might be interested!

Didn't know Hungary had extradition treaties with Thailand... I wonder how many countries actually have? Any numbers and names?

But the article does not mention if he had in fact avoided tax or had committed a crime in Thailand - interesting that Police acted on the warrant - probably thought if he owed 40M Baht then he could pay them a stipend to be left alone - who knows? Just because he is alleged to owe 40M Baht in Hungary does not necessarily mean he has any money personally.

Good luck - taxation is theft anyway! :)

Makes no difference which countries have extradition treaties-obviously they don't honor them,otherwise,that clown Shinawat or what ever his new Cambodian name is,would be in a Thai jail.I wonder how many coutries he has hidden in the past few years has a treaty w/Thailand?

The interesting thing about the government pursuing you for so called tax evasion is that this is the money used to pay their nonproductive wages, gives you a warm glow inside to know that so much of every dollar is taken to largely pay bureaucrats whose sole purpose is to make your life more difficult with more regulation. And they wonder back home why we come to places like Thailand.

Uh huh, and taxes are used to pay for the delivery of social services like medical care and education too. They are also used to fund the delivery of consular services to foreign nationals outside of the country. When governments evacuate their nationals from foreign locales (need an example?)the taxes pay for that too. I find that the people the whine about money wasted on bureaucrats are also the first to whine about the government not spending enough on infrastructure like airports and roads. They are also the ones that use airports but protest the improvement fee surcharges. If people are unhappy about their national governments and choose to avoid paying taxes, then they should also forgo requesting the services and benefits of the country that they scorn.

I would have loved to see the face of the Thai officials who received such request. They must have been puzzled. All the yellow shirted people in their Benzes who never pay more than 20,000 baht a year must have been outraged over the request. Moreover the police chief could have arrested 10,000 more Farangs in Pattaya's upstanding community for the same offense which is in Thailand considered a virtue.

lol, and what about the reds' controllers in their Benzes or their leader who avoids taxes?

anyone complaining about paying taxes doesn't realise the benefits taxes bring but there are too many to go into here.

good riddance to bad rubbish, now may be they can go after all the other foreigners who are here to dodge tax or avoid child support payments back home. :)

Taxation is not theft - it is a part of your obligation to do your share in an ordered society. You don't want to pay taxes?

Go home!

Easy...

ThaiGold, You are correct to a certain extent.

Tax contributions are there for the betterment of society, however when the taxes are so high because one Government has borrowed after another, the arguement to pay the "overdraft" portion becomes sort of weak.

Taxation (direct and indirect) in the UK is nearly 50%......see www.taxfreedomday.com

It is estimated that UK taxes at 20% could cover the cost of running the whole Country, Defence budget, Welfare schemes, NHS, Education etc....so why does the UK Government require the extra 30% tax off of the ordinary taxpayer?

Its to pay for the borrowing interest back to the banks that you the taxpayer have just bailed out.

It works like this, imagine the bank (of England) as a loan shark, the man in the street (Government) wants to loan some money for a fancy scheme, loan shark (Bank) says what guarantee do I have you will pay me back?

Man in the street (Government) says you can take 30% of all the earnings my children make and my Grandchildren and there children and so on for ever...there you have it screwed by your own Government, that is what happens, you, your children, your childrens childrens futures morgaged off to the banks.

Oh and the loan shark (Bank) gets his money for free.

So taxpayers do have a ligitimate right to protest over a certain amount of taxation.

Didn't know Hungary had extradition treaties with Thailand... I wonder how many countries actually have? Any numbers and names?

According to The Nation, as reported on Wiki Answers (i.e. none of this is verified), "At present, Thailand has extradition treaties with 14 countries - the US, UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia."

Obviously, Cambodia has dropped off of this list.

So, a good BKK (International) Lawyer's office should be able to prevent him to be extradited to Hungary; after all, he didn't commit a crime in Thailand...

Bit of a catch 22

In the long run it does not matter if a country has a extradition treaty with Thailand or not.

If your marked for back taxes you will be in the computer.

When you go to renew your passport it will be denied.

At that point I guess you will be committing a crime in TL by staying.

So I guess in a sense they are not extraditing you

they are kicking you out for not having a valid passport.

The same way they can for not paying child support etc.

When you get home I am guessing you have a welcome committee

Death & Taxes :)

If people are unhappy about their national governments and choose to avoid paying taxes, then they should also forgo requesting the services and benefits of the country that they scorn.

True which is why I have no problem with State Taxes & Property Taxes as it seems we get something in return.

Schools...roads...fire dept..police...hospitals... etc.

It is Federal taxes I have a problem with :D

Edited by flying

And of course...the boys in brown will see to it that his stock of cars are well looked after and safe whilst he sorts out his tax affairs :)

I read it that his car showroom was in Hungary so the Hungarian BiB are looking after his assets and probably giving them a run around the forests.

Anyway, as I understand tax evasion is not a crime, tax fraud is. We all evade tax by claiming various get outs. :D

Sorry, tax evasion(fraud) IS ILLEGAL in every country but tax avoidance IS LEGAL

Any tasty cars available in the BiB compund for sale 2nd hand? I need another silver Benz 600SL. My one's dirty and I can't be bothered cleaning it!

Be seeing you...

BB

The interesting thing about the government pursuing you for so called tax evasion is that this is the money used to pay their nonproductive wages, gives you a warm glow inside to know that so much of every dollar is taken to largely pay bureaucrats whose sole purpose is to make your life more difficult with more regulation. And they wonder back home why we come to places like Thailand.

Uh huh, and taxes are used to pay for the delivery of social services like medical care and education too. They are also used to fund the delivery of consular services to foreign nationals outside of the country. When governments evacuate their nationals from foreign locales (need an example?)the taxes pay for that too. I find that the people the whine about money wasted on bureaucrats are also the first to whine about the government not spending enough on infrastructure like airports and roads. They are also the ones that use airports but protest the improvement fee surcharges. If people are unhappy about their national governments and choose to avoid paying taxes, then they should also forgo requesting the services and benefits of the country that they scorn.

And of course taxes are also used to keep the royals happy.For example in my home country our king spend only this year around 1 billion baht on a boat and a holiday home.He even was so brave to buy the boat in a foreign country while his own country is in the top 10 of the worlds best ship builders.After purchase he registered his yacht with the army so we also can pay for the maintenance which runs in the millions every month.Oh and then i don't mention his and his children and other relatives salary yet.

The taxes are also used to pay the salary's of the ministers which keep their salary for the rest of their life.I'm too lazy to look up how many thousand ministers in my country are getting a monthly salary at the current time.

Those taxes are also used for projects which have no use,yes believe it or not but also in europe is corruption,like roads that lead to nowhere.Or bridges which have no roads connected to them.

Those taxes are also used to pay governement workers which have never seen their workplace.

Oh and by the way aren't airports paid for by the airport taxes which we pay each and every time we take a flight out of this mess.

Edited by basjke

Taxation is not theft - it is a part of your obligation to do your share in an ordered society. You don't want to pay taxes?

Go home!

Easy...

he didn't pay his taxes and now he's going home. taxes should be avoided at all costs

In the ik they are used to bail out banks, award INVESTMENT wanke_rS AND PAY FOR mp'S EXPENSES.

And mony braw thanks to the meikle black deil

That danc'd awa wi' the Exciseman.

And of course...the boys in brown will see to it that his stock of cars are well looked after and safe whilst he sorts out his tax affairs :D

I read it that his car showroom was in Hungary so the Hungarian BiB are looking after his assets and probably giving them a run around the forests.

Anyway, as I understand tax evasion is not a crime, tax fraud is. We all evade tax by claiming various get outs. :D

Sorry, tax evasion(fraud) IS ILLEGAL in every country but tax avoidance IS LEGAL

Any tasty cars available in the BiB compund for sale 2nd hand? I need another silver Benz 600SL. My one's dirty and I can't be bothered cleaning it!

Be seeing you...

BB

This is your SECOND post in almost 4 years.....have you been AVOIDING, paying taxes all these years ? :):D

LaoPo

I know nothing about Thai income tax structure. Let us say a man of France comes to live here upon retirement. His pension auto-deposits to his banque account in Nante. He manages his account via internet. He does not to transfer all of it to his Thai banque account--just enough to meet his living expenses.

Is his entire pension taxable here? Are the transferred funds taxable as income here? If yes, what is the rate? Can you direct me to that informacion?

All farang ought to pay tax in Thailand for whatever duration they reside here. Coming from higher income societies, they should they not receive the benefits of Thai society without paying their fair share of income tax. Even if they only live here part-time, they should pay a pro-rated tax for the same purpose.

Merci.

According to The Nation, as reported on Wiki Answers (i.e. none of this is verified), "At present, Thailand has extradition treaties with 14 countries - the US, UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia."

Obviously, Cambodia has dropped off of this list.

Nice one!!! very funny LOL.

Hope you don't have to be evacuated. In most case the Consular services sends a bill for the evacuation after the person is safely at home in emergencies. In other cases they request payment or guarantee before the actual evacuation.

Did he "Evade" tax or just "Avoid" tax?????

Very different charges.

I think I was always told that avoid paying tax is utterly legal and even a DUTY. Evading is not, its illegal...

Ie, one can supposedly get you in jail, the other one cannot...

Did he "Evade" tax or just "Avoid" tax?????

Very different charges.

Am I right in saying tax evasion is a crime, but tax avoidance is what you pay your accountant for?

A good accountant should know where and what you can LEGALLY cheat and where not (g).

His job is to know where the loopholes were build in which are normal as politicians also need them....

So, a good BKK (International) Lawyer's office should be able to prevent him to be extradited to Hungary; after all, he didn't commit a crime in Thailand...

Look at the photo of his passport: 10 years validity!!

On the other hand you donot know if he has any money here besides whats in the pocket.

In 10 years who is interested anyway...

The lawyer will want money and that could be the thing he hasnt got enough of...

something very smelly with this news,

first of all, im hungarian too, and i know my country well, we never send officers, or try to get somebody abroad... we not even arrest peoples in our country who have tax fraud or evasion!

they may just try to hide the truth with some stupid story i guess...

i also checked hungarian news sites, nothing about this, we are a small county, if one of us arrested abroad, (especially if hungarian officers go to bkk) that should be a big new in my small country... but nothing about it... hmm

There's also nothing on Interpol's website about him, either.

In fact, the only thing anywhere about him is the OP and Pattaya People's article about his arrest.

http://www.pattayapeople.com/default.asp?F...IdArticle=20243

"something very smelly with this news"

Agreed.

I know nothing about Thai income tax structure. Let us say a man of France comes to live here upon retirement. His pension auto-deposits to his banque account in Nante. He manages his account via internet. He does not to transfer all of it to his Thai banque account--just enough to meet his living expenses.

Is his entire pension taxable here? Are the transferred funds taxable as income here? If yes, what is the rate? Can you direct me to that informacion?

All farang ought to pay tax in Thailand for whatever duration they reside here. Coming from higher income societies, they should they not receive the benefits of Thai society without paying their fair share of income tax. Even if they only live here part-time, they should pay a pro-rated tax for the same purpose.

Merci.

As far as I know the tax system in the EEC is rather screwed up depending on which nationalities are involved... Secondly its a subject you should if possible arange with an accountant in France but if you have

or are paying tax in France at source, there shouldnt be any reason to be taxed double unless you would pay less tax here then in France BUT remember certain things are possible to do from Malaysia and not from Thailand. It depends on what Tax agreements France made with Thailand, Laos etc etc.

Also means that some people may prefer to be taxed at home since their pension is there or other things they are in need of. One thing almost all foreigners from Europe likely have in common is that if you ever sold a house to pay for your 'holiday' here, its something you likely can never can revert as in most countries

it is to expensive to buy a small house let alone a big one like sold...

Anyway, your last phrase I donot agree with. I see NO reason for anyone to be treated and charged extra because in his home country they did... Especially since we havent got the same rights as Thais do either.

If one could be sure of something, live would be easy but that will likely never be the case here.

But the article does not mention if he had in fact avoided tax or had committed a crime in Thailand - interesting that Police acted on the warrant - probably thought if he owed 40M Baht then he could pay them a stipend to be left alone - who knows? Just because he is alleged to owe 40M Baht in Hungary does not necessarily mean he has any money personally.

From the Siam Legal Thailand website:

Which countries have extradition treaties with Thailand?

Currently, the following countries have extradition treaties with Thailand: the US, the UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia

http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/extra...om-thailand.php

From the Siam Legal Thailand website:

Which countries have extradition treaties with Thailand?

Currently, the following countries have extradition treaties with Thailand: the US, the UK, Canada, China, Belgium, Philippines, Indonesia, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, South Korea, Bangladesh, Fiji, and Australia

http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/extra...om-thailand.php

So, where is he going I wonder?