Utorrent Help

bangkok blue

Puzzled as to why this is.... Checked Utorrent forum and tried everything the advise, yet to no avail.

No firewall is blocking Utorrent, I have allowed all exceptions for the programme to run properly.

I check if the port is forwarded. Yet tells me all the time there is a problem.

Not sure about port forwarding manually as worried this will mess up my internet connection with other things.

Using AVG virus scanner. Set this up to allow Utorrent.

Tested the I.P to see if Utorrent is throttled, tests showed it wasn't. Internet provider also advised they don't block ports.

Tried pretty much everything, yet still seem to get slow downloading speeds, less than 100kps in most cases on an ADSL 8MB connection this doesn't seem normal to me.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks

Had a similar problem. Go to this site and download there port checker and read up about setting up the router virtual server. http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm

I have shown virtual setup for a Belkin router. Private IP address is the address for your computer and port setting are those from u Torrent. Assume you setting up your u Torrent port settings in "options - preferences - connections"

Sounds like you are connecting but very slowly. With TT&T just because you have a 8Mb connection doesn't mean that is the speed of the international connection . Check with your provider for the best international connection.

Good luck

post-20432-1260225748_thumb.jpg

Edited by newcomer01

As said the port needs to be forwarded in your router/modem - forward that port using the instruction on above web site for the model you use. Then do port test in uTorrent and it should be good. Without proper forwarding you may be able to run at 20-30 speed levels but with forwarding it will likely increase 10 times or more on decent torrents.

Are you trying to download from a certain tracker that specializes in UK TV programmes?

If so, there may be nothing you can do but wait. The tracker is reporting lots of clients who say that they are having connection/upload/download problems and they have issued the following statement.

We've been getting sporadic reports of the tracker not being connectible. There appears to the an issue with a Cogent Atlantic transit that's causing the tracker to report being offline for whatever reason.

They advise that you do nothing and wait until the problem is resolved by the 3rd party responsible.

However, they are in the process of vetting users to see that they use "Allowed Client Programs" and they state that if you are using a client program that is not on their list, you will have problems.

For the utorrent client the only versions acceptable are versions 1.6.1, 1.7.7, 1.8.2 and 1.8.3.

If this applies to you, I hope it's been useful, if not, it might help someone else in a similar position.

One further thing, check that you have a green tick at the bottom centre of your utorrent status page. If you have a tick, then your port should be already be forwarded, it there is an exclamation mark, your port may need forwarding. Use the info in previous posts, it's not difficult to do.

Edited by delboy

Had a similar problem. Go to this site and download there port checker and read up about setting up the router virtual server. http://www.portforward.com/guides.htm

I have shown virtual setup for a Belkin router. Private IP address is the address for your computer and port setting are those from u Torrent. Assume you setting up your u Torrent port settings in "options - preferences - connections"

Sounds like you are connecting but very slowly. With TT&T just because you have a 8Mb connection doesn't mean that is the speed of the international connection . Check with your provider for the best international connection.

Good luck

Thanks for the tip. I'm having the same problem from time to time and this tip might solve it.

The sign, red, yellow or green in my experience isn't as important as the number of seeders..

Even with the red sign I have still had uber popular shows like House and CSI download in an hour or less

at various wifi spots across the city.

Of course green is best....

Sometimes it will download at normal speeds, 200-300kp/s but I have a 8MB connection with TRUE and expected better to be honest.

All other streaming for radio, live sport via sopcast etc.... is fine. TRUE say they don'y block ports but the exclamation mark at the bottom starts off as a yellow triangle before changing to a red circle exclamation mark about 10-15mins into any download.

Looks like port forwarding is my only remaining option then is it?

• 2 weeks later...

I was having NAT problems with my Vuze client. Using the Port Forwarding program recommended by "Lite Beer worked a treat.

However following a internet outage yesterday the same problem has appeared again all my torrents show Yellow status Using the same program to update my router still shows my port 53502 as being offline.

Can I safely change that port 53502 ? and if so what would be a good choice ?

Sometimes it will download at normal speeds, 200-300kp/s but I have a 8MB connection with TRUE and expected better to be honest.

Paying for a 8 mbps line and getting it are 2 different issues. First, log into the router and check out the line speed it is connected with. And second, test speed at a local test server and see what speed your comp can achieve.