Evening Meal Recommendations

Butterbean

Hi All,

I'm after some recommendations for places to go to eat in the early evening. I've been to Pattaya ten times now and everytime we visit we seem eat to the same places. I always gone back home thinking that I should have tried different places and this time I'm determined to do so. It must be possible in Pattaya to have a meal in a different place every night of the year (or two)... let alone just for the ten days we are coming over for in February.

Here's a bit of background. My Dad moved out to Pattaya from the UK back in 1998 and I've been to visit him every year ever since. I'm 38 now and in the early days it was just me and my then wife that came over. A divorce, two kids and a new girlfriend later the travelling party has grown a bit. There's now me, my girlfriend, my two boys (5 and 7), my niece and her boyfriend to cater for!

We tend to go out early evening at 7'sih for our meal. My Dad and his thai bride bring the kids back at 9.30'ish and we go and hit Walking Street until go knows what time.

I love Pattaya and know the place like the back of my hand and in the ten years I've visited I must have passed hundreds of places by where it would have been a good place to eat.

I'll eat anywhere. I've eaten from the barrows in boys town and also eaten at the Royal Cliffe on a valentines night.

I used to like taking the kids to StarDice on Beach Road but that seems to have gone expensive now.

Anyhow, I've gone on quite enough so it's over to you guys now. I look forward to your replies and trying out some new places.

Cheers,

Gaz

Hi,

Most people are talking about farang food, but if you want to eat Thai food in the evening/ at night I would suggest: PAK BOONG LOY FAH, on 3rd Road. Very popular, open-air Thai restaurant with a big staff, big menu, ceiling fans and stainless tables & plastic chairs. Usually kind of a busy, sometimes noisy-from-the-throng kinda place, but seriously delicious in my opinion (and everyone I've eaten there with agrees). The prices are very reasonable and the dishes are quite big, too. Try the iron pan friend duck with garlic... oy! Or the baby clams... whoa! Aroy, aroy mak mak!! Good luck, farang!

Can't do a different place every night for a year but for 5 and 7 year-olds I would think Antons in Naklua would be hard to beat. Not fancy but worth one night. They may even be tall enough to help themselves to lots of pudding.

The Italian restaurant (hole-in-the-wall entrance) on Walking Street, eat looking out over the water. You've probably been there already.

Find a vehicle and go to Rom Son Restaurant in Ban Chang, down the road from Purimas Hotel. Sit on the beach with sand in your toes , listen to the ocean and enjoy the atmosphere.

Not posh at all and out of the central area - but you could try the Ruen Mai on the left hand side of Sukhumvit Road, about 1.5km south of the junct with Theppasit Road. Look for the wooden frontage and a long line of cars parked outside.

Thai food only, and in the northern style. Part of the restaurant is floating on a small lake where the kids can feed the fish (ask the staff for some fish food). There are a couple of ride-on toys and swings as well.

Food is very good - mango and sticky rice is the best I've ever tasted.

Edit: BTW (and take this however you wish) some people find the term Thai Bride to be a little disrespectful. If you can't call her your step-mum, why not 'his wife', even 'his Thai wife' if you feel we need to know her nationality. Just MHO.

Edited by chickenslegs

Hey here is a few places:

Gullivers on Beach Road - you can sit outside as well - they have a website with the menu

Jameson's - always kids there - also have website and menu

Alois - at the bottom of Thappraya Road across from Captains Corner - also have website and menu

Can't think of any others but will and come back to you