Forum upgrade in progress! ×

A Simple Question Please - How To Make Poached Eggs

ThailandLovr

Hi

Every time we are in Jomtien Beach we eat at Simple Simon's and order their English breakfast.

They make perfect poached eggs every time, white whites, yolks still liquidy, and of course no grease. My Thai wife wants to make poached eggs for me and I know there is more to it than just putting them in boiling water. Seems to me my Grandma in Canada used to add vinegar or salt to the water. Introduce the eggs to the water before boiling, or after?

Anybody know the secret(s)? Thanks!

Edited by ThailandLovr

Dont listen the eggs from Thailand are mostly fresh, the water should be simmering not boiling. Yes add vinegar it helps to bind the white. Try and break the egg in a cup, then just slide it in the water. Dont mess with them, just wait they will pop up niclely. The trick is simmer not boil. BTW just look at my name

Agree, slow boil or simmer. Very little vinegar or they will taste acidic. I hate washing out the pan after, so rarely make them. If you have a mike, lightly grease a small bowl, crack open an egg or two, prick the yolks with a fork and cover with waxed/brown paper. 30 seconds and then another ten. Perfect and easy cleanup.

Dont listen the eggs from Thailand are mostly fresh, the water should be simmering not boiling. Yes add vinegar it helps to bind the white. Try and break the egg in a cup, then just slide it in the water. Dont mess with them, just wait they will pop up niclely. The trick is simmer not boil. BTW just look at my name

as the name implies - poached eggs - so the water is in fact just below simmer -- like as in poached fish - add a dash of vinegar to the water and as pschef said - the vinegar binds the egg whites together -= remove the egg when the white is set and the yolk is slightly cooked if u like runny -- u put on kitchen paper to drain of the excess water - dont break egg direct to water -- but into small bowl or cup and gently put the egg in the poaching water -- if you boil u will end up with mush

Break the egg into a cup or small bowl.

Bring the water up to heat in a saucepan. As mentioned, only to a simmer.

Stir the water into a 'whirlpool' if using more than one egg

Carefully drop the egg into the water.

Simmer for 3 minutes.

Carefully use a strainer to take the egg(s) out of the water and let them strain.

Using vinegar will keep the eggs seperate but even using a little I can always still taste it.

Good luck

Here's the trick......you buy an egg poaching pan.......4 units that hold an egg, pop a knob of butter in, they sit over the boiling water, not in it......almost perfect eggs every time......except occasionally they stick a bit so you run a knife around the sides of the little container before sliding out.

Edited by 473geo

post-66955-1260583444.jpg

Oh, that's just not the same. It's cheating in fact! :D

Gently slide an egg into simmering water with pinch of salt and a splash of vinegar.

Keep an eye on them and it will be obvious when they are ready.

P.S. I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs! :)

Edited by Jonathanpattaya

post-66955-1260583444.jpg

Oh, that's just not the same. It's cheating in fact! :D

Gently slide an egg into simmering water with pinch of salt and a splash of vinegar.

Keep an eye on them and it will be obvious when they are ready.

P.S. I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs! :)

Good..... because in the small container you can add a little salt and pepper, even use a small amount of garlic butter to add taste if you wish..a little cheating can go a long way....... :D

Edit: added the pepper!!! :D

Edited by 473geo

The 'freshness' of the eggs is really the key here and yes, a really slow simmer. If you can't guarantee the freshness, scramble instead! :D

get outta here tiggs...yew ever tried to clean up the saucepan that the brits use to cook 'scrambled eggs'?...don't occur to them to use a griddle or frying pan like most folks... :)

I make them, but it's hard to explain--it's kind of a trick. But take a look at this, maybe it will help.

http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/columns...oached_eggs.htm

I have one heck of a time getting them out of the pan without making a mess.

Best of luck.

Well, we tried them tonight for "dinner". Everybody's posts plus Sally's article worked, as ours were almost perfect the first time. Our trick is keeping the heat right because we have a gas burner which doesn't allow for simmering very well.

Now my wife, on a roll now, want to try stewed tomatoes English style. :) Anybody cooked them before?

Edited by ThailandLovr

ye might wanna try gooling to see if there is a retailer that will ship to Thailand...many esoteric cooking devices are available online...I hand carried a yogurt maker from the UK via Jeddah to find later that the same device is available online for purchase with delivery to Thailand...never ship using a courier, always ship regular mail to avoid customs and VAT...

my folks had one of those poached egg makers when I was a kid...I never liked poached eggs meself but observed that the product when using of of those makers was pleasing to the eye...also easy to clean as us kids hadta do the washing up later....

I have a four egg poaching pan, but I've stopped using it. I'm in the camp that says you can't beat the real thing - the pans tend to dry out the white on the outside. I will even use two pans to create individual whirlpools for two individual eggs (and yes I do use a little vinegar - white wine vinegar leaves only a faint taste compared to malt) unless I am in a hurry. I find two eggs in the same pan doesn't quite make it.

How sad is that?

Well, I am not a chef, but saw a kids TV cooking show one time and this 11 year old boy showed how to make poached eggs. I tried his method and have to say they turn out fantastic and they are not full of water so the toast does not get soggy.

Method: tear off a twelve inch strip of glad wrap (cling wrap) place over a coffee cup and push the centre down into the cup (far enough to break an egg into the wrap) break the egg into the wrap, bring the edges together, twist the top closed and place into simmering water for three minutes (trial and error for the consistency you like) when cooked, turn out onto plate and eat. This method has the added advantage of leaving the cooking pan clean and providing the hot water required to wash up your plate and utensils.

I could not believe how easy this kids method was and the eggs taste great!

Well, I am not a chef, but saw a kids TV cooking show one time and this 11 year old boy showed how to make poached eggs. I tried his method and have to say they turn out fantastic and they are not full of water so the toast does not get soggy.

Method: tear off a twelve inch strip of glad wrap (cling wrap) place over a coffee cup and push the centre down into the cup (far enough to break an egg into the wrap) break the egg into the wrap, bring the edges together, twist the top closed and place into simmering water for three minutes (trial and error for the consistency you like) when cooked, turn out onto plate and eat. This method has the added advantage of leaving the cooking pan clean and providing the hot water required to wash up your plate and utensils.

If you really want to know how to Poach eggs, try the Thai style as served to me at the TOKYO Hotel in Ubon. After explaining to staff that I wanted "an Egg cracked into boiling water" (or similar), I was served a drinking glass of hot water with an egg stirred in it! Nuff said!

When microwaves came into vogue we used to cook fish fillets by this method. Just wrap them up in cling wrap with a little salt and lemon then zap them in the MW.

The 'freshness' of the eggs is really the key here and yes, a really slow simmer. If you can't guarantee the freshness, scramble instead! :D

get outta here tiggs...yew ever tried to clean up the saucepan that the brits use to cook 'scrambled eggs'?...don't occur to them to use a griddle or frying pan like most folks... :)

I use a frying pan for my scrambled eggs. People say I make the best scrambled eggs ever!

I use a frying pan for my scrambled eggs. People say I make the best scrambled eggs ever!

yeah...I ain't no slouch in that department either...onna previous thread a while back I explained how to prepare eggs with nopalitos (cactus sprouts used in mexican cuisine) for use as an aphrodisiac...

but...not to get too far off topic... :D

i have tried the old vinegar and slight swirl routine but recently i have come up with a new method for me that works ok.

I use two of those round stainless steel egg shapers thingys (that make your fried eggs look nice and round).

I get a shallow pan of salted water near to full boil then turn it off. Place the shapers in the water (note, only enough water to just cover them.

Crack and place the eggs in each.

Cover the whole thing and let sit until the desired hardness is achieved. Remove the shapers while in the pan. Then remove the eggs and drain the water from them. Can place the eggs on a piece of bread to absorb any excess. Then place the eggs on toast. Enjoy.

i have tried the old vinegar and slight swirl routine but recently i have come up with a new method for me that works ok.

I use two of those round stainless steel egg shapers thingys (that make your fried eggs look nice and round).

I get a shallow pan of salted water near to full boil then turn it off. Place the shapers in the water (note, only enough water to just cover them.

Cover the whole thing and let sit until the desired hardness is achieved. Remove the shapers while in the pan. Then remove the eggs and drain the water from them. Can place the eggs on a piece of bread to absorb any excess. Then place the eggs on toast. Enjoy.

Brilliant adaption of artifacts from the local culture. :)

Brilliant adaption of artifacts from the local culture. :D

Thanks mate, sadly though I find it hard to eat eggs now without Maggi. For 30 odd years never used it on eggs, since coming here, can't have em without. :)

Edited by bkkjames