Utorrent Help

bangkok blue

Have portforwarded as recommended by others on here.

I think I have done this correctly, yet only sometimes get green light, sometimes yellow and red!!!!

Even when I get the green light and I check if port is forwarded properly it says there is an error!!!!!!

Could it be that the port I'm using is dodgy?

I also checked my router menu, on the main screen after the password it says there is a firewall enabled on the router info. Could this be causing a problem?

Also since I forwarded a port now whenever I add a torrent I have to exit and re-open Utorrent before any seeds will connect!!!

Any advice appreciated as not getting much feedback on the UT help forum! Thanks.

Dodgy port is not possible. It is just a software term, not a physical port.

Questions.

Do you have a static IP set up on your PC for the PC to router link?

Have you confiugured the port you have selected in your PC firewall to allow incoming traffic?

You should also set up a similar rule in your router firewall

the port on your router firewall.

Without knowing specifics about your router or firewall it is hard to give specific instructions or links but you need to have the firewalls accept UPD AND IP traffic on the port you are using.

If your port forward check is not getting the green check it is not working properly. It needs to be the same port number you have listed in uTorrent and depending on router/modem you may have to do again each time you reconnect anything.

Did you go to http://portforward.com/ and use the procedure for your exact equipment?

Am not sure what you mean you forward a port for each torrent. There should only be one port used by all torrents so once you forward that nothing needs to be done unless/until your computer IP changes (if not using fixed).

Hi all,

Thanks for getting back to me.... I would add a few screen shots but not sure how to... I'll try and explain what I have done

Yes I set up a static I.P in the internet protocol for my P.C. I have followed all the instructions that portforward.com told me what to do.

On my windows firewall I have also added the Utorrent programme and the port for TCP as an exception. I also added an exception for the same port number for UDP. Is it necessary to put an exception for the port in TCP and UDP or just one of them?

With regards to the router firewall, before I click the tab for NAT settings and port forwarding (which I have already set up).

In the port forwarding menu tab it says the following...

Under....

default server set up

default server (0.0.0.0) (THIS IS NOT SELECTED)

change to server (0.0.0.0) (THIS IS SELECTED)

Under.... port forwarding

(service name) (WWW) (server I.P) (0.0.0.0) (add)

Then I have set up the port I want to forward

(active ticked) Service name U torrent, start port ######, end port ###### (both the same number), followed by my static I.P address.

I see on the main menu a list of info for my router. At the bottom it says (Under device info)

Sercurity:

Firewall enabled ( I can access this if I want to)

Didn't wanna mess my connection up or put my computer at risk, but do I have to set up the same exceptions in the router firewall as I have done in the windows firewall? I have looked at this but nothing seems relevent to port forwarding here.

The only thing I can see possibly relevent in my router menu is to check UPnP to pass through firewall.... Do I need to do this? Does UpnP port mapping need to be checked in the UT programme? Portforward.com said no, UT set up said it should be :s

I thought by opening the port as I have would allow my computer to accept all seeding and peer traffic.

I'm using AVG and I'm sure this isn't blocking anything. Checked everything on my windows firewall and can't find anything relevant to accepting UPD and IP traffic.

I'm using a Zyxel 1 port wifi router (via an 8MB cable ADSL connection not a wifi connection).

The only weird thing is I can only download (e.g) seeders only connect when I exit and re-open the programme....

Thanks for any help.

Edited by bangkok blue

Hi lopburi, all info in previous post. Looked for the Zyxel 1 port wifi router all over PF.com but basically had to fumble through the router menu til I found the portforwarding tab.

As I said this router is being used via an 8MB cable ADSL connection, not wifi, it's supplied by TRUE. It can also enable someone to access wifi (password protected) at the same time I'm using the cable ADSL connection.

TRUE have told me they don't block ports and even gave me alternative DSN servers so I could set up the static I.P when called them.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

I just checked one model Zyxel and it is the virtual server under Advanced options that needs to have the virtual server checked, web for where, IP address/port number (same in both fields) and a name to remember the rule and then be saved.

Hmmm... Checked Advanced options and the option for virtual server isn't there.

I have static route, Bandwidth MGMT, Dynamic DNS, Remote MGMT and UPnP.

I opened the ports under the "network" tab (NAT) and entered what you mentioned.

default server set up

default server (0.0.0.0) (THIS IS NOT SELECTED)

change to server (0.0.0.0) (THIS IS SELECTED)

Under.... port forwarding

(service name) (WWW) (server I.P) (0.0.0.0) (add)

Then I have set up the port I want to forward

(active ticked) Service name U torrent, start port ######, end port ###### (both the same number), followed by my static I.P address.

I see on the main menu a list of info for my router. At the bottom it says (Under device info)

Can't find the instructions for my router anywhere. Seems like it's pretty new!

Edited by bangkok blue

Hi all,

Thanks for getting back to me.... I would add a few screen shots but not sure how to... I'll try and explain what I have done

Hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard. Paste the image into your favorite image editor and save.

Usage: Print Screen captures of the entire computer screen. To capture just the 'active' Window, hit Alt + Print Screen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...