Golf Etiquette In Thailand?

Fore Man

Have any fellow duffers out there experienced problems with lack of good manners on area golf courses?

It's a sad truth, but it seems that most golfers we come across are almost totally lacking in an appreciation for, or observation of tradition-inspired etiquette out on the links. Unfortunately, my experience shows that the majority of violators are of 'Asian heritage'. My partners and I have found that while many local and touring Asian players have no regard at all for etiquette, we are pleasantly surprised by the occasional group that allows faster players to overtake them, or perhaps to join them for a pleasant round of inter-ethnic comaraderie.

The attached files are excerpts of the rules of etiquette for your reading pleasure. I cannot properly cite them because they were sent to me by a friend who did not know their true source.

I should hasten to add that it is a generally accepted fact that single golfers have zero rights out on the course except that they paid to play a game.

Now...if we could only broadcast these same two pages to about 5 million Thai, Chinese, Taiwanese, Singaporean and Korean golfers who do not observe these genteel rules on the golf course...who were largely brought up to play golf by learning it on countless driving ranges that dot Asian cities...and who take a game of golf as a privilege of the monied class and don't gave a hoot about how their arrogance affects others who are out to enjoy their game as well. This entire category of unsporting players has missed out on how to play the game of golf in a gentlemenly manner and that my friends is a sad reflection on Asian values versus those typically observed in the West.

For example: here in Thailand and many other locales we have the 'Call Hole' phenomenon on most par 3 holes. It is carried out exactly as the text mentions, but in this case the group behind doesn't actually play through....they just hold up the group in front of them while they get to tee up and exhibit their prowess ... or lack thereof. I see the 'Call Hole' tactic as achieving nothing good except allowing a faster group to retain its playing tempo at the expense of slower players ahead who are already on the green. It also allows a group of inveterate gamblers to place wagers on the "Call Hole' tee...to see who is good enough to perform with another party watching and critiquing them. At its very core, it is a way for the more alpha-male, macho types to show off and demonstrate expertise that others may lack, and thus receive their playing partners' adulations and praise...or to look good in front of admiring wives and girlfriends.

But as a good friend of mine commented "the one benefit to the 'Call Hole' convention is that the number of claimed holes-in-one has been reduced by approximately 60 percent".

Do you agree or disagree? Well, remember good ole' Bernard Trink, the famous Nite Owl of the Bangkok Post and his famous closing line:

"I Don't Give a Hoot!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Trink)

:)

Edited by Fore Man

Priority on the course is decided by pace of play; if 'it is apparent that the group behind can play faster it should invite the faster moving group to play through'. The latest rules (2008-2011)says that a singleton is considered a group with the same rights as any group; they are hardly ever encountered in Thailand in my experience, because they would normally have joined another group, if not then the course is not full and it doesn't matter. When the course is full there is no advantage in letting anyone play through; everyone is waiting for the group in front who are always slow. If the group in front has 'lost a hole' then of course you should be able to play through.

Call holes are there to speed up the game and allow at least two groups on every hole which smooths out progress around the course. They are good for comparison though, as you say, it is nice to know when you 'on' for three out of the water, that often some in the following group have the same problem and if not, then it encourages one to 'buck-up'.

I have never had a problem with etiquette, possibly because I am the problem, I prefer it if people take my mind off the shot, the more I think the worse I get.

...The latest rules (2008-2011)says that a singleton is considered a group with the same rights as any group; they are hardly ever encountered in Thailand in my experience, because they would normally have joined another group, if not then the course is not full and it doesn't matter...

Thanks tgeezer...I was not aware that singles have had their lot improved...good to know, but interpretation and recognition of this fact is left up to the golfers in front of a single...and we all know where that leads to...it's called frustration. I often play in Chiang Mai as a single and occasionally as a double. As a single, I never turn down an opportunity to join other golfers when invited...by them or the starter. It's usually a lot more fun, challenging, and leads to new acquaintances. More often than not, these pick-up groups contain at least one player who is better than I am and I can quietly try to learn something useful.

Back to the topic though, the real issue beyond simple manners on the golf course is that there is a huge lack of course marshalling on many Thai courses...when groups of 5, 6 & 7 local golfers are tolerated by management it is a travesty on the game and certainly tells me about the manners of those playing who refuse to allow a smaller, faster group to play through. A group taking 20 minutes to complete a par 4 needs to be admonished and if their play doesn't accelerate, they need to be expelled. As if that would ever happen here! I have also seen up to 14 people on the green ahead of me...7 players and their caddies.

So as 'guests' in this country it would be best to bury the issue...it will never be understood nor corrected.

So as 'guests' in this country it would be best to bury the issue...it will never be understood nor corrected.

You are right, but your philophophy is not easy to adopt in the heat of battle; I find admiring the landscape,examining the bottom of your shoes or meticulously cleaning your clubs works some of the time. Maybe we should take a book. I have a little camping chair which you don't often see at home, but are very popular here!

Depending on the limitations imposed by the club the following group can always ask to join, which leaves only two choices for the group in front. I know that on the Army course the caddies are the marshalls when no official is near and they should be consulted and decisions are made between caddies with the golfers ultimate approval of course. Relationships like this, through a third party, are the very antithesis of the spirit suggested in the rules of golf, which is supposed to be between golfers. I think that the enjoyment of golf can be spoilt by the assumption that everyone else, apart from your playing partners, is an idiot; we should always assume the best of intentions in other golfers. At the social level the major thing should be to be sociable, you may have to put up with criticism for talking when someone a hundred yard away is taking a putt, you should heed the criticism, apologise later if you get the chance, its worth it, because when you know someone you realize that he is no bigger an idiot than are you.

Can you translate these rules of etiquette to Thai and make them required reading for caddies?

For all Thai groups, especially letting a group go through if you are SLOW, this pretains to fivesome's, and military Thai groups. :)

Edited by Stricken

Can you translate these rules of etiquette to Thai and make them required reading for caddies?

Why the caddies? It's the players that are the problem.

At the Army club there are two signs in Thai on the new course, very roughly translated saying 'caddy is responsible for the rules, if Nai breaks the rules caddy is fired, the person losing a future is the caddy.

I agree that the players must know, but it helps if the caddy knows also. I have never seen anyone with a rule book in Thai, it is on the net and is a direct translation of the Rules of Golf.

From the rules of golf:

"As a guide, generally two-ball rounds should take no more than 3 hours 10 minutes; three-balls should take no more than 3 hours 30 minutes, and four-balls no more than 3 hours 50 minutes. In fact, shorter round times than these should be the aim of all players, where appropriate. However, as already mentioned, it is also appreciated that factors such as course design and heat may necessitate longer round time targets and administrators should be mindful of this."

No mention of 5's, 6's or sevens so it's OK in Thailand as the rules are not there to be applied. :D

Another one:

"If slow play has become an issue at your club, course or resort then strong and decisive action should be taken to alleviate the problem."

That will work here-not. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Played a two ball round at Plutaluang Navy Course yesterday. We got called through twice. Both were four ball of Thai men who were very polite and kept completely silent whilst we played our shots. We thanked them, wished them a good round and moved on. All very civilised, as it should be :)

I agree that the players must know, but it helps if the caddy knows also. I have never seen anyone with a rule book in Thai, it is on the net and is a direct translation of the Rules of Golf.

After the tsunami, the Thai press lamented the death of some professor who was said to be "the leading Thai expert on the rules of golf". Whilst the rules of golf require some study, they are not akin to say, nuclear physics or pre-Ming dynasty Asian history.

Is there somewhere a "leading Thai expert on the world's capitals or the highway code"?

In Thailand, rules are guidelines only generally.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, on course etiquette leaves a lot to be desired. However, I wouldn't knock Thai 6 balls. They putt out and walk onto the next tee, whilst there partners are still putting. Maybe not good etiquette, but helps speed up play. I reckon a Thai 6 ball plays at the same pace as a farang 4 ball.

Yes mostly groups of fivesomes of Thais :)

A '-some' has to be divisible by 2 because it refers to a form of play where only one ball is played. Foursome; two players playing alternating shots with one ball. There are variations: Greensome is when you play two shots off the Tee and then pick the better ball to continue with. Gruesome when you play two shots off the tee and have to pick the worst or let your opponents choose which you will continue with. Texas scramble I think you play two balls from the position of the better ball; ie. two off the tee, then each player has a shot from subsequent better positions, a truly great game, plenty of laughs. When you can't play proper golf 'Texas' is a great way to get the exercise and have a strong chance of scoring, if you can play, fantastic scores can be got.

Not advisable to play any foursomes here because you would be too quick and wait a lot.

We have followed very slow players lately, after nine holes they had lost two clear holes. I think that they know what they are doing; the slowest players are never delayed and have the most comfortable experience of anybody.

Edited by tgeezer