Accident Insurance

sua yai

Two months ago, I was involved a bad motorcycle accident with my girlfriend. Returning home one night we were hit broadside by a car that was turning right on the main road.

I was hospitalised for 11 days and required two operations on my leg. The wound has still not fully healed, but it hopefully will be in another week or so.

The Thai chap who hit us said he had private, first class insurance. Indeed, my hospital bills were paid by the insurance - over 100,000 Baht.

My gf, who's injuries were minor, settled a month ago for 10,000 Baht. This was given to her by the driver, not the insurers. They had a paper drawn up with my name on it as well. They were obviously hoping I would sign and that would be the end of the matter for the two of us. I refused and have a copy of the document.

I've approached a lawyer in town, but she's says she's getting the run around from the insurance company. They're being difficult in producing the insurance policy.

My questions are firstly, with this type of insurance policy (first class, private), are personal injury claims covered as well? The policy is up to 1 million, apparantly.

Secondly, does the insurance company have the right not to produce the policy for either myself or my lawyer to see?

I appreciate that I'll need the lawyer's help on this, but any comments would be appreciated. Forewarned is forearmed, even with a recommended lawyer.

I think Astral's right. In Thailand you're lucky he had any insurance and didn't run from the scene. Can't see you getting much more unless your losing a lot from not being able to work. Only heard of large payouts where the person's been killed and the other driver is drunk, and that's only to stop the person going to prison.

Reading between the lines, I guess that the original poster is wanting some sort of compensation for pain and suffering, on top of the payment of hospital bills.

In UK he would probably succeed in making a claim - although it might take a long time before he saw the money. He would also have to show that he was in no way to blame for the accident. Anyway, TiT, where things are never the same, so I wish him luck. He'll certainly need that lawyer!

:o

I agree with the general sentiment... Anything is possible here, but some things simply aren't probable, like extra compensation past actual damages, unless maybe if someone dies...

But, then that'd likely be you, wouldn't it, in this case? :o

I suppose I expected those replies. Appreciated though.

Was at the hospital yesterday and eventually the accounts department gave me the name, address tel number etc of the insurers.

Whilst speaking to a senior doctor about the incident, she said go for everything I could get. She is not the first Thai person who has voiced the same feelings about this matter.

That's exactly what I'm going to do and the papers, info will be with the lawyers today.

As far as dying is concerned, I was pretty close to it, so it holds no fear for me now.

sua yai,

Do you ( We hope not!) have any lasting injury/handicap/amputation? If not: Forget it and be happy about everything the driver/insurance is willing to give you extra.

Hope you will be better soon, Patex