Has The Suvarnabhumi Sky-train Link Opened Yet?

easybullet3

It was a ghost town Sunday so I assume it is not up and running yet. My nephew said he had a friend ride it on the 4th of this month. My in laws say that happens with a new leg of transportatin. Test runs, then trouble. Sorry they do not know IF or when it will be up and running. They say that's par for the course, so mai pen lai. Looking forward to using it when we head out of here. :)

The test run period was only two days long. :) I don't think that there were any problems, but that was just the length of time for the public test.

I think they are now doing training and practice, and I think the proposed opening date was February? There are others on here who know a lot more about it than I do, hopefully they will comment.

There is no part and ride. Well, if you count the one at the airport yes there is one.

The original plan is that it will be fully operational by April 2010. Every bit of the system works and there is no problem. What they are waiting for are:

- The bridge that will connect the BTS Phayathai station with the ARL station that is right next to it.

- The underground walkway that will connect the City Air Terminal with an MRT station.

- The transfer of the system from the contractor (Siemens) to the state railway of Thailand which will only happen with Siemens is 100% sure that the system works like promised.

- The drivers who are training intensively.

- Testing the luggage check-in system at the CAT.

Looks like the airport it is then for parking for day trips from Cholburi to Silom/Sathorn.

:)

I've got to believe that there will be parking at/near the City Line stations like Lat Krabang, Ban Thap Chang, Hua Mark. But not sure when the City Line service will start, maybe 2011?

Also the walking connection from the CAT to the Petchaburi (subway) MRT station is supposed to be above ground rather than underground, although the latter would be better.

AFAIK DBI (Deutsche Bahn International), the German rail operator, will operate the SARL but SRT seems to keep modifying the terms of the contract so that might be delaying things a bit. One can also envision the SRT union possibly striking, with picket lines, as they are being left out of this new service. Also not sure if DBI has signed on to operate the City Line but one assumes they will.

Does anyone know if there are dual tracks (for a total of four) at all City Line Stations between the airport and the CAT? Or will the SARL only be able to overtake the City Line at just a select few stations? And are there double doors (train and platform, like the MRT) on the City Line stations?

Does anyone know if there are dual tracks (for a total of four) at all City Line Stations between the airport and the CAT? Or will the SARL only be able to overtake the City Line at just a select few stations? And are there double doors (train and platform, like the MRT) on the City Line stations?

Overtaking only at two stations (not sure which ones), at the others express trains will pass though the platforms at the full 160kph (that's why there is a larger than usual gap between the train and platform), standing near the platform edge is definately NOT recommended.

No screen doors at any city platforms except Suvarnabhumi.

Not the best option, but for folks who travel frequently to and from the airport and want try use the Airport Express from Makkasan, it's perhaps worth checking for parking at nearby office and shopping complexes and the hotel on the nearby corner. Depends of course on the parking rates.

I'm rather lucky, my condo is just 6 or 7 minutes walk from the Makkasan station and I usually only have a small cabin bag.

Any members have details about travelling on the Airport Express during the test period.

I've read sveral times that you can do this but I've not been able to find much detail.

On another forum it was suggested that you have to go to the main SRT station at Hualampong to buy the tickets.

Any members have on details on this, please.

Any members have details about travelling on the Airport Express during the test period.

I've read sveral times that you can do this but I've not been able to find much detail.

On another forum it was suggested that you have to go to the main SRT station at Hualampong to buy the tickets.

Any members have on details on this, please.

No more public tests of any kind available as of now. You cannot get/buy tickets yet.

The tickets were available from Hualampong during the public test period (November and 5-7 December).

This is because they are in the process of transferring the ownership of the system from Siemens and the contractor to the SRT. It is highly likely that DBI will be the operator of the system initially.

WOW.... 160 kph going thru the city stations. and no screen doors??? That's going to be a definite RUSH....

Not exactly the greatest of engineering/operational planning approaches... :)

Overtaking only at two stations (not sure which ones), at the others express trains will pass though the platforms at the full 160kph (that's why there is a larger than usual gap between the train and platform), standing near the platform edge is definately NOT recommended.

No screen doors at any city platforms except Suvarnabhumi.

WOW.... 160 kph going thru the city stations. and no screen doors??? That's going to be a definite RUSH....

Not exactly the greatest of engineering/operational planning approaches... :)

Hence the reason for my questions. It seems like it would be a huge problem; I have visions of small children getting sucked of the platform, but assume the design is in use elsewhere. FWIW, I worry more about the signaling system; a rear-end collision between an Express and City Line trains would be horrible. Signaling systems can fail, and an operator will not be able to stop a train based only on a visual sighting of a problem. Maybe there might only be two City Line trains on the track at any one time, and both will have to be stationary at the two intermediate stations which have double tracks, before the Express can roll out of the CAT, or the airport?

The signaling is multiply redundant, ANY failure that remotely compromises safety will reduce the trains to a get-you-home mode to get them to the next station. The chances of a collision are minimal, but that's also true of the MRT where human actions conspired to defeat the automatic systems and cause a major shunt.

160 through the stations is certainly a safety worry with the narrow (2m at points) city line platforms. Maybe the operations staff will only allow platform access when a city train approaches.

Hence the reason for my questions. It seems like it would be a huge problem; I have visions of small children getting sucked of the platform, but assume the design is in use elsewhere.

I saw a MythBusters episode on this and based on that, there's no chance of you getting sucked into the tracks. If anything, something lightweight would get knocked over backwards, away from the train before getting sucked towards it.

Hence the reason for my questions. It seems like it would be a huge problem; I have visions of small children getting sucked off the platform, but assume the design is in use elsewhere.

I saw a MythBusters episode on this and based on that, there's no chance of you getting sucked into the tracks. If anything, something lightweight would get knocked over backwards, away from the train before getting sucked towards it.

FWIW they used a toy model train and an open platform, but still said, "Although small scale testing with model trains in a wind tunnel showed a vortex, the more dominant force when running the full size train was the air turbulence running alongside and away from the train. The force caused Ted, a dummy made of ballistics gel, to simply fall down where he stood rather than be drawn into the train’s wake, and also violently pushed around an empty stroller tethered onto the platform alongside. Despite the lack of suction, the MythBusters agreed that the turbulence was powerful enough in its own right to make standing that close to the train as it passes very dangerous.

The SARL City Line Stations are relatively enclosed, more so than the BTS stations, and we're talking about a train passing at 160 kph. There's go to be some draft at that high speed? Like I said, I'm sure this design in use elsewhere and that it is safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that new year is over, I am back planning my next trip (Arriving April 6, departing April 16). Does anyone have a heads up on operating hours for SARL? I have a flight from Bangkok to Manila on 16/04 at 0930hrs and need to be at the airport by at least 0630hrs (I like to be on time). Im weighing up if I should book a hotel near to Makkasan or should book an airport hotel. If anyone has ideas on operating hours it would be much appreciated, or could even point me in the right direction.. :)

Now that new year is over, I am back planning my next trip (Arriving April 6, departing April 16). Does anyone have a heads up on operating hours for SARL? I have a flight from Bangkok to Manila on 16/04 at 0930hrs and need to be at the airport by at least 0630hrs (I like to be on time). Im weighing up if I should book a hotel near to Makkasan or should book an airport hotel. If anyone has ideas on operating hours it would be much appreciated, or could even point me in the right direction.. :)

You won't be able to use the SARL. It won't be opened for the public. April now has been rescheduled 'trial runs' and the term is very ambiguous.