Can I Just Have Coffee In My Coffee?!

GuestHouse

'What's she putting in my coffee?" I thought to myself as I watched the woman behind the espresso machine spoon something into the cup.

So I asked, expecting her to be sneaking some sugar in to take the bitter taste off what is reckoned to be Thailand's best home produced coffee.

"It makes the coffee taste good" she replied.

"What makes the coffee taste good?" I asked.

She then holds the jar up - yes folks MSG.... In coffee!

She then looked with a look of complete incomprehension as I told he to make me another cup and that I want nothing but coffee in my coffee.

She saved that special “I’m really mad but trying not to show it” look for when I refused to pay for the first cup of coffee that I refused to drink on account of the MSG I did not ask for.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess she's been told (by whom?) that MSG makes things taste good (well it is a flavour enhancer isn't it?) so by her logic everything should taste good therefore everything should have MSG added. Can't fault the logic, it's the application I'm not keen on.

I don't think I'm alone with my allergy to MSG. For me, it's a mild reaction: my nasal passages swell, but do not close. Other people aren't so lucky: total inability to breathe = agonizing death. MSG in my coffee? No, thanks.

I don't think I'm alone with my allergy to MSG. For me, it's a mild reaction: my nasal passages swell, but do not close. Other people aren't so lucky: total inability to breathe = agonizing death. MSG in my coffee? No, thanks.

how do you live here? Im gluten intolerant so read the labels on everything and everything sold in Thai super markets has msg on the label. Even msg has msg added. My favorite thai food place has a big sack with msg stenciled on it in their kitchen.

MSG is a natural flavor enhancer with almost no ill effects to healthy human beings. Sounds worth a try.

Except that it causes migraines for many of those susceptible to them.

If I eat/drink anything with MSG in it, I wake a few hours after going to bed with a massive headache.

what next? msg in beer? :)

That's formaldehyde. :D

Still absolutely no evidence of MSG allergies or reactions, that is until you tell someone they just ate a load of it.

Only 2 million hits on google for 'migraine msg'. No need to let facts get in the way of a good argument though....

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Still absolutely no evidence of MSG allergies or reactions, that is until you tell someone they just ate a load of it.

Only 2 million hits on google for 'migraine msg'. No need to let facts get in the way of a good argument though....

How exactly is that fact;

'no migraine msg' brings up over 2 million hits.

'coffee makes you gay' turns up 14.9 million hits.

Breast milk has significant MSG in it, your body creates Glutomate itself as a key molecule that is broken down into essential amino acids.

I don't doubt that some people believe that they are affected by added MSG, although in blind tests this really doesn't appear to be the case.

MSG is a natural flavor enhancer with almost no ill effects to healthy human beings. Sounds worth a try.

just some people get problems with it.

Yes it is natural but not in these amounts. If you eat half a kg salt or sugar you'll also die no matter if it is natural or not.

Both I and my wife are mild allergic against it.

How exactly is that fact;

'no migraine msg' brings up over 2 million hits.

'coffee makes you gay' turns up 14.9 million hits.

Breast milk has significant MSG in it, your body creates Glutomate itself as a key molecule that is broken down into essential amino acids.

I don't doubt that some people believe that they are affected by added MSG, although in blind tests this really doesn't appear to be the case.

the amount makes the problems.

Say Vitamin A. It is essential, but too much will kill your liver. Less will cause problems in pregnancy.

The same happens for the MSG. The amount is the important thing.

Regardless of the arguments against MSG and those in its defense.

Surely the point is Can I Just Have Coffee In My Coffee?!

What is billed as perhaps the best coffee in Thailand and the coffee seller adds MSG.

Thai Food - touted as one of the worlds great cuisines (I personally think that 99% of Thai food that is sold in Thailand is mediocre - the other 1% exquisite) but let's add the MSG to make it taste good.

Fresh ingredients (food or coffee) well prepared will make good food (or coffee).

So Can I Just Have Coffee In My Coffee?!