Can I Just Have Coffee In My Coffee?!

GuestHouse

Still absolutely no evidence of MSG allergies or reactions, that is until you tell someone they just ate a load of it.

Only 2 million hits on google for 'migraine msg'. No need to let facts get in the way of a good argument though....

'coffee makes you gay' turns up 14.9 million hits.

coffee makes you gay ? :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still absolutely no evidence of MSG allergies or reactions, that is until you tell someone they just ate a load of it.

Only 2 million hits on google for 'migraine msg'. No need to let facts get in the way of a good argument though....

coffee makes you gay ? :)

Don't worry Zorro, ''everything on the internet is a lie'' turns up 67.5 million hits. And as any fule kno, wearing pink socks makes you gay :D

Hmmmm ... only 450,000 hits for ''wearing pink socks makes you gay'', so maybe it's the MSG?

Only 264,000 hits for ''msg makes you gay'', so maybe not.

:) Amazing the crap you can find on this wonderful thing called the internet.

coffee doesnt make you gay only turns up with half the hits. Coffee defiantly makes you gay and a turned up pinky is a 100% hit. good luck coffee drinkers

Wonder what all these MSG sufferers do without Cheese, Tomatoes etc..

True it is only women hysterica

(also if you eat that your cell-phone will explode or get at least twice the size )

A normal product like "maggi" is also 50% that

Pieter :):D

Edited by pieter73

Regardless of the arguments against MSG and those in its defense.

Surely the point is Can I Just Have Coffee In My Coffee?!

What is billed as perhaps the best coffee in Thailand and the coffee seller adds MSG.

Thai Food - touted as one of the worlds great cuisines (I personally think that 99% of Thai food that is sold in Thailand is mediocre - the other 1% exquisite) but let's add the MSG to make it taste good.

Fresh ingredients (food or coffee) well prepared will make good food (or coffee).

So Can I Just Have Coffee In My Coffee?!

Maybe that's their secret... How long had you been drinking the MSG coffee until you noticed?

Wonder what all these MSG sufferers do without Cheese, Tomatoes etc..

True it is only women hysterica

(also if you eat that your cell-phone will explode or get at least twice the size )

A normal product like "maggi" is also 50% that

Pieter :D:D

The only people that have complained on this forum about suffering from msg symptoms so far have been men. So, kinda wondering what women have to do with it exactly, to deserve a "women hysterica(sic) label? I dunno the history of msg allergic responses studies, maybe it was women. Or, maybe was just an attempt at being "funny". If so..dont give up the day job. :)

how do you live here? Im gluten intolerant so read the labels on everything and everything sold in Thai super markets has msg on the label. Even msg has msg added. My favorite thai food place has a big sack with msg stenciled on it in their kitchen.

I breathe through my mouth a lot. ;-)

To counter the dismissive idiot who said there is no such thing as an allergy to MSG, technically that may be correct. I, and thousands (millions?) of other folks, have *NEGATIVE REACTIONS* -- some of them life threatening -- to MSG. That may or may not fit the definition of "allergy," but regardless, MSG causes problems for many (note: I'm not say most, I'm saying many) people.

FWIW, it took some trial and error to find out that it was the MSG that was causing my reactions. I had reactions eating Asian foods (mainly Chinese food where I grew up) before I knew it was the MSG. Reactions first, then knowledge of MSG, not the reverse...

Bottom line for this thread, though, is that the coffee shop is adding something potentially dangerous and not advertising/advising the fact. :)

Oh..really weird..

MSG in coffee, never heard before.. You sure it is not salt?

I put salt into my Iced Coffee, but in very small quantity, along with the sweet from sugarcane (How to call this kind of sugar?). Found taste better. Copy from a local Thai coffee shop... :)

I breathe through my mouth a lot. ;-)

To counter the dismissive idiot who said there is no such thing as an allergy to MSG, technically that may be correct. I, and thousands (millions?) of other folks, have *NEGATIVE REACTIONS* -- some of them life threatening -- to MSG. That may or may not fit the definition of "allergy," but regardless, MSG causes problems for many (note: I'm not say most, I'm saying many) people.

FWIW, it took some trial and error to find out that it was the MSG that was causing my reactions. I had reactions eating Asian foods (mainly Chinese food where I grew up) before I knew it was the MSG. Reactions first, then knowledge of MSG, not the reverse...

Bottom line for this thread, though, is that the coffee shop is adding something potentially dangerous and not advertising/advising the fact. :)

I'd love to see the science or proof behind the LIFE THREATENING reactions to MSG, especially since your own body creates it and its an ESSENTIAL nutrient for survival.

I have spent the past 20 years trying to get my Thai wife to put less (or no) sugar in my coffee. I was starting to have some limted success until she came back from the super with a huge pack of coffee with sugar and whitener already mixed in! And yes, in the same huge proportion of sugar as she usually put in manually. I had enough and secretly binned the pack.

:D I suppose we should all be grateful that they don't put KETCHUP in it! :D:):D

post-37101-1260806864_thumb.jpg

I have a friend who has a pathological aversion to ketchup, almost to the point of sheer madness and we once put ketchup in his coffee as a joke! I didn't think anyone ACTUALLY DID that seriously.

Is this something I've just never heard of or is it an island trend?

MSG is a natural flavor enhancer with almost no ill effects to healthy human beings. Sounds worth a try.

No wonder the last cuppa I had sent me off into space, totally wired. I agree, I just want a good regular cuppa, without all the BS added, maybe only "REAL" milk if anything.

Can this actually be done, and if so how do you say it in Thai, to make your order? :)

MSG is a natural flavor enhancer with almost no ill effects to healthy human beings. Sounds worth a try.

Also as the food and drug administration (FDA) classified MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) as "generally recognized and safe" the use of MSG specialy high quantities remain controversial as there been no studies for effects on the long term and FDA acknowledge that some poeple may have short term rections to MSG as:

* Sweating

* Headache

* Weakness

* Shortness of breath

* Chest pain

* Sense of facila Pressure or Tightness

* Numbness, tingling or burning around the mouth.

There are still research on any long tern health issues.

So better avoid.

Have a healthy 2010 :)

I hate to use Starbucks, but at least it is coffee. I once used a coffee shop at one of the skytrain stations and asked for no sugar, in Thai, and nearly chocked when I tasted it. I asked her why she had done it and she said it was just a little bit.

I once searched for MSG problems and could find nothing apart from the barking mad stuff about turning your blood black etc.