Can I Just Have Coffee In My Coffee?!

GuestHouse

I hate to use Starbucks, but at least it is coffee. I once used a coffee shop at one of the skytrain stations and asked for no sugar, in Thai, and nearly chocked when I tasted it. I asked her why she had done it and she said it was just a little bit.

I once searched for MSG problems and could find nothing apart from the barking mad stuff about turning your blood black etc.

The mayor international food/catering and beverage company's have banned use off MSG for a few years already.

Awaiting for results from research on long term health issues regarding the use off MSG.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

makes total sense MSG makes everything better

what next? msg in beer? :)

Nope. It's either chili flavored milk or chili flavored ice cream.

Chili flavored ice cream is available at a shop in

Bangkok's Siam Paragon :D

Haven't tried it yet.. :D

Edited by BugJackBaron

I'd love to see the science or proof behind the LIFE THREATENING reactions to MSG, especially since your own body creates it and its an ESSENTIAL nutrient for survival.

Your liver creates cholesterol if you don't have any in your diet ( and even if you do ).....it is an ESSENTIAL nutrient for survival.

But how many people die from cholesterol buildup in their arteries ?

Edited by Latindancer

I'd love to see the science or proof behind the LIFE THREATENING reactions to MSG, especially since your own body creates it and its an ESSENTIAL nutrient for survival.

Your liver creates cholesterol if you don't have any in your diet ( and even if you do ).....it is an ESSENTIAL nutrient for survival.

But how many people die from cholesterol buildup in their arteries ?

Hear, hear

On a similar note, the entire body is awash with proteins of one description or another but consume excessive amounts of dietary protein and your kidneys will suffer.

Benje's argument is a ridiculous one.

Cholesterol is an ESSENTIAL nutrient for survival.

Beer is an essential.......................................

.......................................................................'nuff said.

Did you realise that 100% of people who breathe air die? :)

Join the greatest experiment on Earth and hold your breath. You're gonna die anyway so what have you got to lose?

I find it ridiculous that people are seriously saying that if they have soy sauce on their food, or a bit of marmite comes near them it can be life threatening.

Yes the human body needs fats and cholesterol, I would be just as sceptical if someone said that if they touched fat or anything that contained cholesterol then they would suffer life threatening consequence or anyone saying they were allergic to fat or cholesterol.

I seriously doubt it was MSG. It was probably brown sugar or something and you freaked out and imagined it was MSG. Expats tend to flip out over every little thing and believe all the urban legends ie..formaldehyde in thai beer so I wouldn't be surprised if this was another delusional incident.

I seriously doubt it was MSG. It was probably brown sugar or something and you freaked out and imagined it was MSG. Expats tend to flip out over every little thing and believe all the urban legends ie..formaldehyde in thai beer so I wouldn't be surprised if this was another delusional incident.

No, I spoke to the woman in her own language and asked what it was she was putting in my coffee, she showed me the jar - it was MSG.

But you weren't there, so I do respect your right to hold a totally uninformed and biased opinion based upon what you believe 'Expats tend to do'.

I find it ridiculous that people are seriously saying that if they have soy sauce on their food, or a bit of marmite comes near them it can be life threatening.

Yes the human body needs fats and cholesterol, I would be just as sceptical if someone said that if they touched fat or anything that contained cholesterol then they would suffer life threatening consequence or anyone saying they were allergic to fat or cholesterol.

When I was a child, TV adverts regularly promoted Peanut Butter as an essential to raising healthy children.

Nobody disputes that even a minute amount of Peanut or Peanut oil can kill some people in a matter of minutes.

It seems assumptions about what is healthy, can be very wrong and can sound rather ridiculous - but nevertheless deadly.

-----

Putting aside allergies, or any other health issues - The point is not what is healthy but what should be in our food - only that what we ask for is my view.

MSG is a natural flavor enhancer with almost no ill effects to healthy human beings. Sounds worth a try.

MSG interacts with the nervous system very quickly and can cause trouble for some. I myself suffer from itchy red skin and heart burring followed by coughing then dizziness after eating food with MSG in it. Doctor said it's a internal allergic reaction and there are a lot of people. Just as lactose may behave for a lot of people. I guess it would suck if you are lactose intolerant and MSG allergic and order milky MSG coffee!

MSG is a natural flavor enhancer with almost no ill effects to healthy human beings. Sounds worth a try.

MSG interacts with the nervous system very quickly and can cause trouble for some. I myself suffer from itchy red skin and heart burring followed by coughing then dizziness after eating food with MSG in it. Doctor said it's a internal allergic reaction and there are a lot of people. Just as lactose may behave for a lot of people. I guess it would suck if you are lactose intolerant and MSG allergic and order milky MSG coffee!

[/quote]

Almost no ill effects, sound worth to try

Are you a gambler, as i posted before there are side effects after using MSG as:

* Sweating

* Headache

* Weakness

* Shortness of breath

* Chest pain

* Sense of facila Pressure or Tightness

* Numbness, tingling or burning around the mouth.

And long turn effect been still researching at this time, so why used as there are many other no risky products to make your food or coffee tasty, maybe use a good quality coffee that will do.

This thread may have been very useful to myself and my fiance. She is a very healthy and young looking 32 year old who unfortunately gets hives ( itchy welts on the skin ) and regular headaches. It seems tha MSG can be a trigger for both these things, so she's going to try to eliminate it from her diet temporarily.

I've been feeling a bit weird myself since I came to Thailand, so I'll give it a go, too. Will let you all know the eventual result.....

This thread may have been very useful to myself and my fiance. She is a very healthy and young looking 32 year old who unfortunately gets hives ( itchy welts on the skin ) and regular headaches. It seems tha MSG can be a trigger for both these things, so she's going to try to eliminate it from her diet temporarily.

I've been feeling a bit weird myself since I came to Thailand, so I'll give it a go, too. Will let you all know the eventual result.....

Be aware that there is MSG in most products from Knorr and Maggi.

When I was a child, TV adverts regularly promoted Peanut Butter as an essential to raising healthy children.

Nobody disputes that even a minute amount of Peanut or Peanut oil can kill some people in a matter of minutes.

It seems assumptions about what is healthy, can be very wrong and can sound rather ridiculous - but nevertheless deadly.

----

Putting aside allergies, or any other health issues - The point is not what is healthy but what should be in our food - only that what we ask for is my view.

The thing is if people as babies/ young children had been fed peanut butter they would very unlikely develop allergies to peanuts later in life, so those TV adverts contained truth in a way.

There is no proof that anyone has allergies to MSG, it would be similar to being allergic to salt, does anyone here think they are allergic to salt?

There is no proof that anyone has allergies to MSG, it would be similar to being allergic to salt, does anyone here think they are allergic to salt?

Refined salt yes. Poison, just like refined sugar.

Good job you guys don't go swimming in the sea then eh?

I find if I don't add salt or fish sauce to my food here I suffer from terrible cramps. Besides that's still not an allergy is it.

The NY times had a good article about MSG, if you search google for "yes, MDG, The Secret behind the savor"

Refined salt yes. Poison, just like refined sugar.

Good job you guys don't go swimming in the sea then eh?

I find if I don't add salt or fish sauce to my food here I suffer from terrible cramps. Besides that's still not an allergy is it.

The NY times had a good article about MSG, if you search google for "yes, MDG, The Secret behind the savor"

But I most certainly do go swimming in the sea, which is an excellent source of unrefined salt, providing all of the 80+ minerals that are destroyed by refinement.

Consider this, when you cry your tears are salty, and if you’ve cut yourself and tasted your blood, you know it is salty. The fluids in our bodies are like an ocean environment. Salt is essential for life and yet our bodies cannot make it so it must come from an outside source. Most often it comes from meat or regular table salt. The problem is that our bodies don’t really know what to do with processed salt. Years of processed salt intake can damage almost all areas of the body such as the heart, kidneys, muscles and bones and it is processed salt that bloats us and causes water retention. Processed salt can put a body out of balance.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Natural-Sea-Salt...y&id=502186

Wonder what all these MSG sufferers do without Cheese, Tomatoes etc..

Still absolutely no evidence of MSG allergies or reactions, that is until you tell someone they just ate a load of it.

Best to educate oneself before making sweeping remarks as it makes you look a tit.

I know immediately if I've had some as the guts bloat up something rotten... and without asking if any was added, <deleted> :)

The thing is if people as babies/ young children had been fed peanut butter they would very unlikely develop allergies to peanuts later in life, so those TV adverts contained truth in a way.

Isnt similar as MSG has many side effects on a human body, minor ones but cant compair with allergic to salt as salt is proven not harmfull using small quantoties for avarage people. Long effects on MSG use research still ongoing.

Regardless of whether or not it is an allergen, is it even possible to avoid it here? You would have to cook all your own meals to be sure, as I'm quite sure that it is added to every dish in Thailand (and the rest of Asia). If there is too much of it, I do feel a little bloated, but I'm glad I don't have a strong reaction to it, I love the flavour enhancement! (but then again, I also love salt. I don't have a sweet tooth, but I crave salty foods regularly!)

what does ALMOST mean?

and what is MSG? is it the same thing they make in the food? called Boomchalot in Thai? If yes, why it is forbidden then in the most normal countrys?

Because it makes bones and the brain soft, if that is not enough side affects........

ABSOLUTELY NO boomchalot in ANY food for me or our customers!

what does ALMOST mean?

and what is MSG? is it the same thing they make in the food? called Boomchalot in Thai? If yes, why it is forbidden then in the most normal countrys?

Because it makes bones and the brain soft, if that is not enough side affects........

ABSOLUTELY NO boomchalot in ANY food for me or our customers!

That's interesting. Can you tell me which countries ''forbid'' MSG?

That's interesting. Can you tell me which countries ''forbid'' MSG?

as far as I know Sweden and Malaysia.....

some side affects are

Headache, sometimes called MSG headache

Flushing

Sweating

Sense of facial pressure or tightness

Numbness, tingling or burning in or around the mouth

Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)

Chest pain

Shortness of breath

Nausea

Weakness

and thats when consumed at levels typically used in cooking but a spoonfull like in Thailand is not normal!

there are a lot of pages all over the net