Does It Cost Money To Call 1-800 Number?

Anek18

My current understanding is that it is not possible to use an 800 number from Thailand at all, so the cost is a moot point. So, your option might be to try to find a direct number to call, at cost. This won't always be available. In reality, a large pecentage of the 800 call operators are in India and the Phillipines.

Note: if someone does know a way to call an 800 number from Thailand, please tell us.

If you can find a way - then yes it will cost... (You can dial 1-800 numbers from the UK, but it's a standard international call on the phone bill - after all, the US company is only paying for US customers to call them for free, not international rates...)

My current understanding is that it is not possible to use an 800 number from Thailand at all, so the cost is a moot point. So, your option might be to try to find a direct number to call, at cost. This won't always be available. In reality, a large pecentage of the 800 call operators are in India and the Phillipines.

Note: if someone does know a way to call an 800 number from Thailand, please tell us.

At least from AIS and 1-2-Call, you can just direct dial it like you would dial any other number in the US. It is not free, it costs the same as calling any other number in the US.

I suspect that anywhere you can dial an international party you can do this. You'll just be charged the standard int'l rate.

At least from AIS and 1-2-Call, you can just direct dial it like you would dial any other number in the US. It is not free, it costs the same as calling any other number in the US.

I suspect that anywhere you can dial an international party you can do this. You'll just be charged the standard int'l rate.

i have called 1800 numbers and you are charge international rates, in my case i used a phone card from a pay phone

If you can find a way - then yes it will cost... (You can dial 1-800 numbers from the UK, but it's a standard international call on the phone bill - after all, the US company is only paying for US customers to call them for free, not international rates...)

Some companies pay for Int'l rates through certain carriers. For example I can call my bank and insurance company using Thailand's AT&T number, enter the bank's toll free number, AT&T will recognize it as paying for int'l toll free support and will connect you. If no int'l support it will ask for a calling or credit card number. Best to check with the companies website.

Also if you can get to a U.S. Military DSN phone you can make a toll-free call.

Also if you can get to a U.S. Military DSN phone you can make a toll-free call.

that is correct, forgot about that one

I too had to make some 1-800 phone calls to restart a credit card. to do this, I set up a net2phone account. after setup, it cost me about 4 cents a minute for a regular phone call. 1-800 numbers were also charged at 4 cents a minute.

there was a echo when I spoke to someone but at least you could communicate with the people on the other side.

a net2phone requires an initial 25 us dollars to startup. and you need to make at least one call per 120 days or your balance disappears.

there may be other pc-to-phone services out there that provide 800 numbers for free. so, you may want to check using a google search.

From AIS sim cards, a voice comes on after you dial the 1-800 number and advises that you will be charged as if it was a regular number you were dialing.

Financial institutions in the U.S. have finally gotten the word on this problem and provide a non-800 number to call collect. The number automatically answers with a message that collect calls will be accepted.

However, cell phones can't make colllect calls.

this might be redundent, but I use a broadband service called vonage for calling the US. It's a breadband phone that costs about 40 bucks a month and unlimited calling to anywhere in the US. However you'll have to have a US credit card and a US mailing and billing address. It's also where they will send you the phone transponder in which you plug a regualr telephone into. It provides you with a 10 digit US number so people there can call also call you anywhere in the US for regular phone charges. It also comes with voice mail, 3-way calling, caller ID and all the basic services that come with having a land line in the US. Down side is, you need high speed internet on your end and it won't work unless you're connected to the internet. But it can still receive and store voice mails when you are not connected.

as far as calling from a local land line in BKK, they will chage you regualr international rates for calling a 1800 number in the US.

With respect to landlands you used to be right. AIS and some of the other mobile carriers have always permitted it, but not the fixed line carriers. Now, however, you can also dial US 800 numbers on True at least, although I don't know for sure about TOT lines. You simply have to pay for the call at normal direct dial rates.