Passionate Moving...

KMixon

I am sure this has been asked before, but I have looked through past threads and I don't see anything recent. (if i'm wrong I know you will let me know...don't bother)

How many of you came to Thailand/chiang mai for a vacation but decided to move for good? This is the case with me. I'll be gracing you all with my presence in about 7 months.

Just curious about your motives.

Thanks!

I did a semester abroad in spring 2005. I returned Jan 2006 and worked for 2.5 years. Now I am back home getting a second degree to better setup a good life for myself in Thailand.

I got married there in 2007 and my wife joined me back to the US, she will start her Masters here in the Fall.

So yeah, I understand that a brief time in CM can drastically change your plans!

I did a semester abroad in spring 2005. I returned Jan 2006 and worked for 2.5 years. Now I am back home getting a second degree to better setup a good life for myself in Thailand.

I got married there in 2007 and my wife joined me back to the US, she will start her Masters here in the Fall.

So yeah, I understand that a brief time in CM can drastically change your plans!

Hopefully we can all meet up sometime soon Blackartemis! Good luck with the Masters.

I came in 2002 to visit my Son, liked it and came again, then I met a girl I really liked.

Came back and forth every month for a year, then decided to marry the girl , sell my business back home and settle in CM

Am I pleased I did?.....Very pleased

Am I happy? :) Very

Am I lucky? Exceedingly

How many of you came to Thailand/chiang mai for a vacation but decided to move for good?

Nope.. Not in my case.

then you didn't need to reply. thanks though.

He loves to do that as many others on this forum. I think they have nothing better to do. Also going off topic is a favorate thing for them.

Hubby first visited Thailand on vacation courtesy of the U.S. government when he was assisting in a little project in a nearby country. His visit to that nearby country was his first trip outside the U.S. and he hadn't formed a very good opinion of Asian people. He was thrilled when he came to Thailand and discovered that some Asian people actually seemed to like Americans, rather than trying to kill them. In short he fell in love with Thailand and spoke of it often when we met shortly after he returned to the U.S.

We vacationed here several times during the decades that followed and spent some time here in the winter of 2006, pretending we were retired to see if we liked it. We did, so we returned to the U.S., spent 2 years winding down our business and moved here a little over a year ago.

I'm not sure if my answer is relevant to the OP's question. Perhaps the OP wanted to know about people who came here on vacation and just decided to stay. That certainly wasn't our case. The U.S. government would have taken a dim view of that if Hubby had done that during his first vacation here.

In 1990, a couple of friends and I rented a van and did a road trip from BKK to Mae Sai. On the way, we passed CM and spent a day here. At the time I thought CM would be a nice place to live and then forgot all about it. In 2001 Mrs. T and I decided to scale down the business in HK and move to Australia and submitted the two tons of paperwork for the Oz Immigration visa. The visa was approved in 2002. On the eve of making the move, we decided to take a few holidays in Asia and came to CM, followed quickly by a few more trips to CM till finally changing our minds about moving to Australia. In mid 2003 We moved here instead.

The move was a comprehensively well thought out plan. But it *felt* like a radical decision and gave us a sense of adventure. Many friends thought we were being rash and impulsive. They've since visited us and seen how our kids have grown and matured here, how we live, how we look and how, when we smile, our eyes also smile. They now envy us. CM isn't perfect, but, on balance, it's the right place for us at this stage.

eek

re ..... I did it the more extreme way. I sold up and moved here without even having visited first

i did the same as eek !

i had seen some of the south so i decided to see some of the north of thailand with the idea of staying three months here three months there and gradually moving down country over a peiod of years ?

i landed in chiang mai in april 05 with all i owned in one suitcase ..... and im still here

so much for plans : )

dave2

We visited Thailand (Bangkok and the south) two years ago, loved it soo much decided to vaca here again this past summer. This time we visited different places, Chiang Mai being one of them. I think we planned to only stay for about 4-5 days and ended up staying about 10 days. We almost decided to give up the rest of the trip and just stay in CM. I left my heart in Cm!

Once we returned we both decided we want to live there. After all, I do need to go get my heart back! Thanks for all the replies! Love hearing all the stories.

>>Hubby first visited Thailand on vacation courtesy of the U.S. government

Can you not just say your husband ? and why Hubby <deleted> ?

Anyway i am moving up there next month after several visits .I will give it a year maybe to see how i and family settle in .

I did it the more extreme way. I sold up and moved here without even having visited first. :)

I'm with you, although I have spent a little time in Bangkok. But after endless research over the past 2 years, Brazil, Costa Rica, Philippines, Indonesia, etc, etc....I am confident I'm making a good move. I have spent time in Brazil and Philippines and this forum has been very valuable.

Anyway i am moving up there next month after several visits .I will give it a year maybe to see how i and family settle in .

What's wrong with hubby? Why not allow her to call him what she wishes?

Be glad she doesn't call him 'spouse', 'life partner' or 'better half'

"hubby" is rather endearing, after one has reached a certain age.

eek

re ..... I did it the more extreme way. I sold up and moved here without even having visited first

i did the same as eek !

i had seen some of the south so i decided to see some of the north of thailand with the idea of staying three months here three months there and gradually moving down country over a peiod of years ?

i landed in chiang mai in april 05 with all i owned in one suitcase ..... and im still here

so much for plans : )

dave2

I hadnt even been to Thailand Dave. :)

Be glad she doesn't call him 'spouse', 'life partner' or 'better half'

"hubby" is rather endearing, after one has reached a certain age.

"hubby" is sweet. Its definitely endearing. Like she thinks of him more than just "Husband". Like when a man says "my wifey" instead of "The Wife".

Whats so wrong with saying "hubby"?? :)

Thanks everyone for coming to my defense! Don't worry, people like Thaifan2 won't scare me off -- I'm pretty thick skinned!

I think the term "Hubby" is in the same category as the "Mrs. My Screen Name" term that some male posters use. It's respectful and shows some affection. I just didn't think "Mr. NancyL" has the same feel as "Hubby"

I think "Thaifan2" is going to fit right in when he finally moves to Chiang Mai.

I did it the more extreme way. I sold up and moved here without even having visited first. :D

:D ..That's amazing but you must have known or heard something that attracted you.....come one...tell us :)

LaoPo