I'm A Tourist And I Need A Credit Card (or A Debit With Embossing)

samlowry

Just leave a 10,000thb deposit at the car rental place, that usually works. I never leave my passport, just a copy and the deposit. This certainly is enough if you use Pop rent a car.

You mentioned POP rent a car.

I need to rent a car over new years period, but i've had two bad experiences before with car rental companies here in Thailand, including one in CM.

Does 'POP' play the usual games of claiming renter has damaged something?

Or, can other CM members please suggest a car rental which doesn't play games.

Thanks.

Just leave a 10,000thb deposit at the car rental place, that usually works. I never leave my passport, just a copy and the deposit. This certainly is enough if you use Pop rent a car.

You mentioned POP rent a car.

I need to rent a car over new years period, but i've had two bad experiences before with car rental companies here in Thailand, including one in CM.

Does 'POP' play the usual games of claiming renter has damaged something?

Or, can other CM members please suggest a car rental which doesn't play games.

Thanks.

Ive used Pop for the last 4 years when ever Ive needed a car admittedly maybe only 4/5 times a year, Ive never had any trouble from them getting deposit back etc. I always check the car well before diving away and fill out the check sheet they give you. But never a problem.

Not so fast on the code: my 5 year automobile license, the new plastic kind issued 18 months ago in Chiang Mai, has no address on the back or front. (In my earlier post I incorrectly said it was my motorcycle license with no address). Maybe mine's a fluke but it just ain't so that all driver's licenses have an address. I've got the proof in my wallet. Anyway, that's enough for me on this issue.

Same for me. 5 year issued about 2 years ago with no address on front or back in English, Thai or any other language.

Used Northwheels about a month ago when the car was in the shop - just gave them a copy of my passport and 5k cash as a deposit. They checked the copy against the real passport and then gave it back to me. When I returned the car, they did a quick check, then gave me back the same 5K (stappled to the copy of my passport - which they also returned). No worries.

Bus is probably still cheaper though - what is it, 250B or so for a ticket to Maesai, 15B per person Songtaew and 500B per person for Burmese taxes? Much cheaper than renting a car even before petrol/gas!

Edited by wolf5370

• 4 weeks later...
Used Northwheels about a month ago when the car was in the shop - just gave them a copy of my passport and 5k cash as a deposit. They checked the copy against the real passport and then gave it back to me. When I returned the car, they did a quick check, then gave me back the same 5K (stappled to the copy of my passport - which they also returned). No worries.

Bus is probably still cheaper though - what is it, 250B or so for a ticket to Maesai, 15B per person Songtaew and 500B per person for Burmese taxes? Much cheaper than renting a car even before petrol/gas!

Yep, I tried to hire car second time at Journey Travel (first time I asked my British friend to leave passport), but at that time I brought my Russian friend - they f....d my brain with "we can't take Russian passport, it's our terms" and other Thai crap. 2 mins of ride to North-East corner, sudden stop at North Wheels - voila, I got a car. But, unfortunately, tires of hired Vios was awful - I had several hard moments on mountain roads. Also equipment of car was minimal. Looks, like North Wheels saving on everything, include maintenance. Strange for such a big company with higher than market prices (usually Vios cost 1200-1300 p/day, at NW it cost 1500).

There are some banks (ask around) that will give you a limited credit card (50,000 Baht), but you will have to set up a timed deposit of 100K Baht with them for the duration. Charges on the card will be deducted from your normal account with them, the 100K is just for their security for when you do a runner (as it is impossible even with timing tricks to get more that 100K out of that limited card).

Banks around here don't expose themselves to any risk (and they're better off for that).

Anyways it's possible, though not all banks do this, and every branch is its own Kingdom, so do shop around.

The guy is on atourist visa - the bank will not issue an embossed card to tourists.., especially fro visa runs,, it can be used and abused over the limit over the border..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW - FYI BBL only needs afixed deposit equal to your card limit now adays

Yep, I tried to hire car second time at Journey Travel (first time I asked my British friend to leave passport), but at that time I brought my Russian friend - they f....d my brain with "we can't take Russian passport, it's our terms" and other Thai crap. 2 mins of ride to North-East corner, sudden stop at North Wheels - voila, I got a car. But, unfortunately, tires of hired Vios was awful - I had several hard moments on mountain roads. Also equipment of car was minimal. Looks, like North Wheels saving on everything, include maintenance. Strange for such a big company with higher than market prices (usually Vios cost 1200-1300 p/day, at NW it cost 1500).

Rented from Journey several times. They made a copy of my passport and US drivers license. They also took an imprint of my credit card. They dropped off and picked up the car every time and never even took a close look upon return. Always received all my copies back at the end. Journey would be my coice again.

You say you are a tourist .

I never heard of a tourist have to make a visa run. they go back home after a while.

Get areal visa if you have genuine reasons to stay in Thailand

what is your problem? when we first came here we didn't know how long we wanted to stay for our year holiday and had to do a visa run to get another tourist visa. Tourism is a genuine reason to stay in Thailand

yes it is, but not to get an embossed card from aThai bank..

OP Take a van..they are cheaper than renting anyway..