Getting Married Soon

Eastender

I'm flying out to do the decent thing (not the girlie bars, marriage) soon, in Bangkok. I'll be short on time so after leaving the British embassy with my 'Affirmation of freedom to marry', where should I head to for a translation service?

Also, any recomendations for special romantic restaurant for the evening after I've signed my life away?

Cheers.

I'm flying out to do the decent thing (not the girlie bars, marriage) soon, in Bangkok.  I'll be short on time so after leaving the British embassy with my 'Affirmation of freedom to marry', where should I head to for a translation service?

Also, any recomendations for special romantic restaurant for the evening after I've signed my life away?

Cheers.

There was a place (over six years ago now) not far from the British Embassy.

They did our translations and the marriage. Whisking us about town in taxis to get all the relevant papers signed. Took about 4 hours and cost 8000 Bhat to become a married man.

To find the place: cross over from the Embassy; walk to the major intersection and cross over; about twenty or thirty yards from the intersection is (was) the translation and marriage service.

I'm flying out to do the decent thing (not the girlie bars, marriage) soon, in Bangkok.  I'll be short on time so after leaving the British embassy with my 'Affirmation of freedom to marry', where should I head to for a translation service?

Cheers.

There was a place (over six years ago now) not far from the British Embassy.

They did our translations and the marriage. Whisking us about town in taxis to get all the relevant papers signed. Took about 4 hours and cost 8000 Bhat to become a married man.

To find the place: cross over from the Embassy; walk to the major intersection and cross over; about twenty or thirty yards from the intersection is (was) the translation and marriage service.

Left or right out of the Embassy (onto Wireless Road), ie the Skytrain end (Sukhumvit) or the other end?

There are certainly a bunch of translation outlets right by the station. Ah, and a very nice lady was offering her services (for getting married silly) on the steps inside the embassy, already married so I don't know how good they are.

Good luck for the future Thomas.

DC

There are several translation places just outside the "gate" of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, which is where you have to have the translation "authenticated". So why not do it there? I did and it was fine. Good luck.

There are certainly a bunch of translation outlets right by the station. Ah, and a very nice lady was offering her services (for getting married silly) on the steps inside the embassy, already married so I don't know how good they are.

She ain't there anymore :o . I was in there to get a kids passport and these two Thai women were standing upstairs offering to help with translations etc. They were taking the tickets and offering them later to people just coming in. When I was waiting in the queue, they proceeded to slag off in Thai some of the people coming in. That was the last straw, I phoned someone at the embassy who went crazy and they were removed within 5 minutes. :D

Turn right out of the Embassy and head down to the Ploenchit BTS station. Just after the intersection there are a number of translation shops on the left hand side which can translate the freedom of marriage document. Should be around 400-500 baht and shouldn't take more than half an hour

What kind of food are you after in the restaurant?

Edited by Jack Jones

Just to add, visit at least 2 or 3 translation shops near Ploenchit skytrain to get quotes. Prices quoted can vary quite a bit. I can't remember what I paid exactly but getting the affirmation to marriage translated and authenticated by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (taken care of by the translation agency) was certainly much less than what I had to pay the British Embassy for their stamp.

2,400 baht! :o

I would be inclined to carry out the translation and the authentication of the translation separately. For the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs to authenticate the cert will take two days and cost 400B or you can have it done for 800B on the same day (not available when I did mine). That said, it is a bit of jaunt out of town and it's up to you whether you pay the money or can be bothered to wait.