Redknapp Charged

MSingh

You've totally missed my point. I would pick him on the basis of being a relatively young, up and coming manager thats done a good job at Marseilles.

My other point was that his playing experience in England wouldn't do any harm. Comparisons to Rooney and mangement, well i don't know where thats coming from really.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Redknapp told officers he had not seen his pay slip in years, saying: "You talk to anybody at the football club. I don't write. I couldn't even fill a team sheet in."

I had to laugh when I read this!!

Carmine, Smokie and Alf have been saying that for months!!!!!

I knew it couldnt be 'Arry picking those teams!!!

I must admit, I do like 'Arry.... but his excuses about being picked on for having a cockney accent and not being able to read or write!! If thats his best defence, then Burton Copeland would have been better telling him NOT to give evidence!!

hit-the-fan.gif

So what's the penalty if he's found guilty? Fine? Jail time? Is he in danger of losing his job?

JimJim, we have covered this in great detail in the spurs thread a couple of months ago.

Just so you know the maximum penalty is life imprisonment, the guideline is 3-5 years, the actual might be substantially less. All that assumes he is found guilty.

Ok, great, thanks. Just so you know, I'm a Liverpool fan and have no reason to go in to the Spurs thread, but I appreciate your condescending to answer me. What's your club, again? :) Much appreciated!

Also, good to know that he won't get any punishment unless he's found guilty! I was confused at that part too, I would have thought he'd get jail time if Arsenal or West Ham fans had gotten enough names on a petition, must have been confusion on my part!

:)drunk.gif

I have to admit there is something vaguely amusing about Harry's defense so far. Rather than accept Mandaric's defense that the money was not income but payment towards an investment, Harry says it was a bonus that is obviously subject to income tax. His defense, so far, is one of 'diminished responsibility'. He claims he is stupid, ignorant, incompetent, disorganized, a technophobe, illiterate and financially inept. But apparently he is the best manager England has to offer.

• Like 1

I have to admit there is something vaguely amusing about Harry's defense so far. Rather than accept Mandaric's defense that the money was not income but payment towards an investment, Harry says it was a bonus that is obviously subject to income tax. His defense, so far, is one of 'diminished responsibility'. He claims he is stupid, ignorant, incompetent, disorganized, a technophobe, illiterate and financially inept. But apparently he is the best manager England has to offer.

Hmmm I doubt the judge will show him any mercy. Maybe he'll lock up Redknapp's accountant instead!

It seems after mondays testimony by Mandaric there a powerful manlove had developed between him and Harry. So much so that he used to go to Harrys gaff at weekends to play with Rosie and transfer 150000 grand "gifts" into harrys bank account because he was his special guy! sick.gif

It seems after mondays testimony by Mandaric there a powerful manlove had developed between him and Harry. So much so that he used to go to Harrys gaff at weekends to play with Rosie and transfer 150000 grand "gifts" into harrys bank account because he was his special guy! sick.gif

From what little I could be bothered to read it seems he's a lunatic.

This is all so laughable and its still got four days left. I'm starting to think they are both taking the piss and must have something up their sleeves!

This is all so laughable and its still got four days left. I'm starting to think they are both taking the piss and must have something up their sleeves!

I fear that's not he case. Maybe they hope the judge will ask for psychiatric reports?

Is it the closing defence today for Arry and his team?

Yes and the jury out tomorrow. Harry getting a suspended and a fine or doing bird on wednesday

His defense of being a retard seems to have worked,suspended and a fine it looks like shame it will stop him becoming England manager,mind you Carmine i have always said he will never be the manager.

Is it the closing defence today for Arry and his team?

Yes and the jury out tomorrow. Harry getting a suspended and a fine or doing bird on wednesday

His defense of being a retard seems to have worked,suspended and a fine it looks like shame it will stop him becoming England manager,mind you Carmine i have always said he will never be the manager.

biggrin.png You have indeed MrRed, you have indeed. I too think he'll get a suspended with a heavy fine. His defense was absolutely pitiful. The only bright spot was when he suggested to the court that if a certain blokes wife was half as nice as Rosie then he had a very decent missus! Got a laugh from the jury apparently and low and behold everyone loves 'Arry again!

Its up to the jury to decide. My bet is they'll hammer Mandaric and let @Arry off. Unless the scammers have managed to get a man on the jury...then he'll be doing bird all right.

Surely the tax liability is Redknapp's not Mandaric's?

I find Redknapp's defense unconvincing based on the following....

1. However stupid deranged and ignorant you are, you only travel to Monaco to set up an offshore acccount on the basis that you wish to avoid domestic tax.

2.. Claiming you are incredibly stupid and the world's worst investor but someone gave you a load of money to invest seems slightly illogical

3. The fact that there was no evidence that the money was ever invested would indicate it wasnt money for an investment

4. Harry used to get 10% on player deals but it was reduced to 5% when he became manager doesnt sound like Harry. However as his 'manager' contract had to be submitted to the FA they might have liked to keep things private.

But it all sounds a mountain out of a molehill. Can I stay awake for another hour?

Its up to the jury to decide. My bet is they'll hammer Mandaric and let @Arry off. Unless the scammers have managed to get a man on the jury...then he'll be doing bird all right.

there's no way he's going to jail. he'll get off on the doddy defence, a poor persecuted rich man who has surely paid enough in tax already hasn't he?

any normal joe who had done this would be getting porridge.

there's no way he's going to jail. he'll get off on the doddy defence, a poor persecuted rich man who has surely paid enough in tax already hasn't he?

Looking for a precedent, I was thinking back to the 1989 Ken Dodd trial as well. Apparently Dodd had £336,000 in undeclared cash in his house but was still acquitted of tax evasion.

Looking for a precedent, I was thinking back to the 1989 Ken Dodd trial as well. Apparently Dodd had £336,000 in undeclared cash in his house but was still acquitted of tax evasion.

lester piggott went to jail but i can't remember what he did that was different from doddy. dodd basically said 'i'm rich and have already paid more than my fair share' and was let off i think.

redknapp's knowingly broken the law and should go to jail for it. don't think he will though. suspended sentence at best.

BTW I have always thought there was a little more to this than meets the eye. For instance if you find a UK tax resident with an offshore account you usually make him pay the tax and give him a very large fine. This would for instance have cost Harry but nothing like the amount he has spent on his defense.

A couple of evenings ago while waiting to watch what turned out to be a very boring match, I read the Quest Report and the Stevens enquiry and this explains a lot.

The report raises a couple of interesting questions.

Theoretically there are two transactions within a transfer. The first between two clubs who 'swap' money. No agent required and in any case the player doesnt see a penny of it. Then personal terms - clearly a player needs an agent here to negotiate the best deal and you would expect him to pay him a fee, You wouldnt really expect the club to pay him a fee on the basis that if they did it woulld be based on getting the player as cheaply as possible.

So the reports question exactly why clubs are paying 71m to agents. They also imply a lot of cosy relationships and managers that might be acting purely in their own self interests. Willie Mckay buying a horse that turned into a dog for Redknapp is sited as an example. Zahavi receiving a 3m agent's fee on a 7.5m deal for Yakubu from Portsmouth to Middlesborough as another.

The most obvious explanation for what is going on is this. You have an agent that is offshore that you pay a signing on fee to a footballer which ends up offshore. And Carroll's agent best summed this up with a recent quote '

'If, for example, the agent is based in Monaco, the club will pay his commission into an offshore account and he will pay the player's agent. It's all untraceable.'

Spurs paid the second highest agent fees in the league last year but it might be money well spent. Harry seems like a wheeler dealer not a crook and I doubt that Levy would have employed if he felt otherwise.

When I see Joorabchian, Hughes, Tevez, Zahavi, Gary Cook (?) all lined up to buy Kaka for 90 odd million it makes me wonder.