My father-in-law (Thai) will be 70 next month. My wife and I have bought him a new gold necklace supporting an old (authenticated and blessed) gold inlayed stone Buddha.

As an extra surprise, I would like to give this present together with a cat.

Pa has always loved cats; to the point that, last time we visited, there were over 10 cats in and out of the house. I asked Pa why he did not control his expanding cat population. He told me, he had once killed a cat, but the resulting bad karma had remained with him for several years.

Last month, all the cats died as a result of stumbling on some poison laid down by a neighbour.

I have three questions about my plans – I am not a cat person (also I have not discussed this yet with my wife):

1. Could combining the necklace with the gift of a new cat cause offence?

2. What type of cat would be suitable, considering Pa lives on a farm not far from Sukothai?

3. Does the Siamese cat have the significance in LOS, its name suggests?

Thanks, in advance for your suggestions.

neighbour "What did your Farang son in law give you"

Dad " A cat and an amulet"

neighbour "Cat????"

Dad "Yes I know - I know - don't even say it"

neighbour "Cats are ten a penny round here"

Dad nods silently.

neighbour, to passers-by "Hey guess what he got from the Farang for his 70th birthday"

Dad winces.

Passer By 1 "Big television set?"

Passer By 2 "3 baht gold chain?"

Dad looks sheepish and crestfallen..

Persian cats are very lazy and rarely go outside unless booted out. Maybe that'd be a good idea.

Don't listen to the bull from the cat haters. I am sure your father-in-law will appreciate any cat, but of course for any face value it would have to be (recognized) pedigree, Siamese, Burmese, Persian or similar. Do keep in mind they sell at 4,000 baht and more for "perfect" cats (many Siamese have genetic faults such as being crosseyed or broken tails).

Edited by madsere

Better yet, get him a Korat cat.

"Korat" roughly translated means "Good Fortune."

Discovered in Ampur Pimai of the Korat province in Thailand. The earliest known record of the Korat appears in The Cat-Book of Poems or Smud Khoi of Cats, produced in 1350-1767. This book presents the seventeen "good luck" cats of Thailand, including the Korat, and is presently located at Bangkok's National Library. It was named by King Rama V when he was asked where that cat had come from. There is much tradition and folklore behind the Korat. According to one of these folk tales, Korats with kinks in their tails are said to increase your luck.

The Thai people refer to the Korat as Si-Sawat cat (see-sa-what), but another Thai name and description of the Korat is as follows:

"The cat Maled has a body colour like Dok Lao.The hairs are smooth, with roots like clouds and tips like silver.The eyes shine like dewdrops on the lotus leaf."

Translation: Dok means flower, and lao is an herb, like lemongrass, with silver-tipped flowers.

Treasured by the Thai people and once owned only by royalty and members of the government, the breed spread across the globe very slowly. Korats did not arrive in Europe and North America until the late 1960's.

Korats are extremely expressive. You can look at Korats and almost know what they are thinking; and the scary part is they "do know" what you are thinking, as well! It's a look which wins you over completely! Once you meet and live with a Korat, you'll understand. They are extremely observant, will watch everything you do and then try to duplicate it. korats are extremely loyal to their owners, giving their total love and respect.

Korats are either going 100 mph around the house or they want to be with you, near you, and helping you all the time. If you are doing things around the house, you will always have several following and "helping" out! They aren't "in your face," but like to be involved in your activities. When you have visitors they will explore their belongings, coats purses etc, and anything left out all become the property of the Korat - including your friends!

This is the cat with five hearts, three of which are on the head. Looking at the Korat straight-on, you see the Valentine-shaped heart of the head, which can be gently traced around the head. The second heart is found by looking down over the top of the Korat's head, and the third heart is the nose. The other two hearts, which are not part of the head, are the muscular area of the chest when the cat is sitting, and the most-commonly-forgotten one, the heart inside the cat! As the cat matures, the heart shapes on the head become more pronounced.

The eyes are large, wide-open, luminous, alert and always observant. The colour is peridot green in the mature cat (two to four years of age), but kittens have an amber to golden-green eye colour which gradually changes as they mature.

The Korat has a unique colour matched by no other breed. It is defined as silver-tipped blue, and it gives off an aura, or shimmering effect. The Thais describe this color as "rain-cloud gray," and the silvering effect as "sea foam." The colour appears to absorb light, giving a "halo" effect. It is a single coat, short, and close-lying. The roots are light silver blue with the colour increasing in shade up the shaft to a deeper blue until it reaches the tips, which are silver. The silver tipping is more prevalent on the muzzle and toes. The Korat is also only one color - silver-tipped blue; there is no other colour accepted. Abundant tips are preferred.

Rare and highly prized, every modern Korat is believed to trace its ancestry to the original cats.

korat_cat.jpg

Never really been a cat lover. How about getting him a dog? Dogs have got character. I love dogs. Even soi dogs. Beeter than cats IMHO.

Dogs have never been feared as witches nor worshiped as gods...cats have historically been both, with good reason.

Humans domesticated dogs....cats domesticated humans.

I guess it boils down to whether you want an inferior or superior being as your pet!

--- Cat Lover

Go for a kitten, and let it grow up with your Pa,

that way it will fit in with the household much better!!

My wife and I found our first one at the Amphur office when we went to get married.

The kitten was being thrown out of the office, but kept in coming back.

Unfortunately the cat disappeared, but her offspring are still with us.

Don't listen to the bull from the cat haters.  I am sure your father-in-law will appreciate any cat, but of course for any face value it would have to be (recognized) pedigree, Siamese, Burmese, Persian or similar. Do keep in mind they sell at  4,000 baht and more for "perfect" cats (many Siamese have genetic faults such as being crosseyed or broken tails).

Khao Manee

kmindex.jpg

The Khao Manee 'White Jewel', sometimes known as the Khao Plort ('All White') might be a unique cat for you father. For eye color they either have one blue and one emerald green eye, while others have blue and yellow pairings. Some have both blue or both yellow or green eyes. Let me know if your able to find a breeder I'll be searching for this cat next time I'm in LOS.

Here are 2 myths that tell why some Siamese cats have a kink in their tales.

It was said that a Princess of the Royal House of Siam used her cat's tail as a ring-stand while she was bathing. The kink in the tail prevented the rings from falling off and being lost. Another legend accounts for both the cross-eyed feature as well as the development of the kink. Once, when all the men of Siam left their homes to defend their kingdom, just two cats - one male Siamese, Tien, and one female Siamese, Chula - remained in order to guard Buddha's golden goblet in the sacred temple. The male cat became pretty restless and, after mating the female Siamese, left her in order to find another priest to look after the temple. The female, apparently, was so overwhelmed by the responsibility of guarding the Buddha's treasure that she never once glanced away from the goblet, wrapping her long tail around its stem to prevent theft in case she should fall asleep. As time passed waiting for Tien to return with a new master, she could no longer forstall the birth of her kittens, who all arrived with the physical characteristics that she herself had acquired during her period as watchguard - a kinked tail and crossed eyes. Just occasionally, even today, kittens are born with these features - so the legends are kept alive.

I gave my mother-in-law a cat for her last b-day as well. she is now living in a nice country side type area.

I thought long and hard what type of cat would do well there and also be good company for her as well as have the neighbours talk all day.

A decided on a main coon. yes alot more money than your typical thai or other small cats.

1. very friendly and a one person cat.

2 more money (30k and up easy)

3 big enough to take care of it self. even soi dogs tend to be scared of them.

4 they always come home.

5 the best part. her neighbors dont stop asking how much or how big

Edited by nokmdk

I gave my mother-in-law a cat for her last b-day as well. she is now living in a nice country side type area.

I thought long and hard what type of cat would do well there and also be good company for her as well as have the neighbours talk all day.

A decided on a main coon. yes alot more money than your typical thai or other small cats.

4 they always come home.

What is a "main coon" cat?

4 they always come home.

It's a north american race.

MAINE COON

winter1999.jpg

Does anyone out there know of any cat breeders in Thailand?  I am looking for cat breeder.  Looking for a Burmese, Korat, Tonkinese, or Singapura.  Any help would greatly be appriciated.

here's one breeder, persians and schottish fold

Mrs.Sunan Sowprasertsuk (Lek)

59/23 Moo.11, Soi. 85 Petchkasem Rd., Omnoi, Krathumban, Samutsakhon 74130, Thailand

Tel. 0-2811-0211-4, 0-1408-5598, 0-4088-9353 Fax: 0-2420-0993

E-mail : [email protected]

4 they always come home.

It's a north american race.

MAINE COON

winter1999.jpg

looks like a small Tiger. :o

Beautiful!

I didn't know the Korat was a Thai cat. Live an learn :D

Due to its dark coat of fur, many Thais don't accept it.

you got to love a cat :D they take over your life, Confucius say!! Dog think it is human ,Cat think it is GOD!! :D Nignoy

I heard a slightly different version:

DOG: He feeds me, he cares for me, he must be God.

CAT: He feeds me, he cares for me, I must be God.

:o

Don't listen to the bull from the cat haters.  I am sure your father-in-law will appreciate any cat, but of course for any face value it would have to be (recognized) pedigree, Siamese, Burmese, Persian or similar. Do keep in mind they sell at  4,000 baht and more for "perfect" cats (many Siamese have genetic faults such as being crosseyed or broken tails).

Khao Manee

kmindex.jpg

The Khao Manee 'White Jewel', sometimes known as the Khao Plort ('All White') might be a unique cat for you father. For eye color they either have one blue and one emerald green eye, while others have blue and yellow pairings. Some have both blue or both yellow or green eyes. Let me know if your able to find a breeder I'll be searching for this cat next time I'm in LOS.

Here are 2 myths that tell why some Siamese cats have a kink in their tales.

It was said that a Princess of the Royal House of Siam used her cat's tail as a ring-stand while she was bathing. The kink in the tail prevented the rings from falling off and being lost. Another legend accounts for both the cross-eyed feature as well as the development of the kink. Once, when all the men of Siam left their homes to defend their kingdom, just two cats - one male Siamese, Tien, and one female Siamese, Chula - remained in order to guard Buddha's golden goblet in the sacred temple. The male cat became pretty restless and, after mating the female Siamese, left her in order to find another priest to look after the temple. The female, apparently, was so overwhelmed by the responsibility of guarding the Buddha's treasure that she never once glanced away from the goblet, wrapping her long tail around its stem to prevent theft in case she should fall asleep. As time passed waiting for Tien to return with a new master, she could no longer forstall the birth of her kittens, who all arrived with the physical characteristics that she herself had acquired during her period as watchguard - a kinked tail and crossed eyes. Just occasionally, even today, kittens are born with these features - so the legends are kept alive.

Beautiful picture and story! Thanks for sharing!

lol

actualy i also have a maincoon and a ragdoll, both long hairs. They do better here in thailand than they did in Canada for some reason. Yes the main coon is like a small tiger but they sure are great with people and have such a great tempermant. wish you look in what ever type you choose.