How Busy This High Season?

whitethai

The P4P business is really quiet.

The only concession they make during tougher times is to become more aggressive and grumpy. They've had their day in the sun, now they have to move over for Russian tourists.

As long as there are ugly men in the world and girls who need more money, P4P will always bounce back :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit traffic is terrible these days.Must be all those tourists from Europe who come on holiday by car. :)

The traffic is pretty bad all year long. Central was packed this weekend and the majority of customers were Thai. People seem to forget when discussing how busy this town is that Thais live and visit here too.

Well I think I got you there.As you say,Central and probably some other places were packed this weekend WITH THAIS.

But I assume they are not the people what the OP's question was intended to.

Edited by basjke

I have to admit traffic is terrible these days.Must be all those tourists from Europe who come on holiday by car. :)

The traffic is pretty bad all year long. Central was packed this weekend and the majority of customers were Thai. People seem to forget when discussing how busy this town is that Thais live and visit here too.

Well I think I got you there.As you say,Central and probably some other places were packed this weekend WITH THAIS.

You got me? What do you mean?

When people ask me if Pattaya is busy I ALWAYS include all humans.

You got me? What do you mean?

When people ask me if Pattaya is busy I ALWAYS include all humans.

Got you because you are well known to be a defender to the bone that Pattaya is full of tourists but now you have announced yourself that it is full with Thai's instead.

I assume that all the past and current topics about the high season are all intended to European or at least foreign tourist and spending money.That is what high season is about.

Not about the Thai people who live here and might come out in their free time as is now.It doesn't even mean in the slightest way that they are spending money as they are just bored from sitting indoors all year and come out for the festivities.

Got you because you are well known to be a defender to the bone that Pattaya is full of tourists but now you have announced yourself that it is full with Thai's instead.

I assume that all the past and current topics about the high season are all intended to European or at least foreign tourist and spending money.That is what high season is about.

Not about the Thai people who live here and might come out in their free time as is now.It doesn't even mean in the slightest way that they are spending money as they are just bored from sitting indoors all year and come out for the festivities.

You didn't get anybody and you're mistaken because I have said always that Pattaya is never quiet because the town if always full of Thais who live and work here. They are the ones jamming the roads with their brand new cars every day of the year.

Saying one thing doesn't necessarily contradict another. Saying there are plenty of Thais in Central Mall doesn't mean there aren't plenty of tourists too.

Right now Pattaya is full of Thais AND tourists, however the number of tourists is dwarfed by the number of Thais and it will always be this way.

Edited by tropo

As for Thai blocking the roads with their new cars.. Pretty funny how 10km out of Pattaya the roads suddenly become empty of new pick-ups and cars.. and return to the normality of Thailand.. Old pick-ups and old cars and not that many of them.. My suggestion would be that many of the cars you see in Pattaya were purchased by farangs for their Thai wife/GF/BF.. And many of the rest with proceeds made from businesses related to money spent by farangs... Funny how Bang Saen ( arguable a nicer resort ) doesn't suffer from all the over developement that Pattaya does.. While it is busy with Thais at the weekend ( like Pattaya ) it isn't fulll of free spending love struck farangs ( like Pattaya ) Despite the fact that there are wealthy Thais and more of them that ever before have new cars and bikes Thailand is still a developing country with a very low average income.. The wealth you see in Pattaya gives a false impression and is entirely due to farang money being spent..

As for Thai blocking the roads with their new cars.. Pretty funny how 10km out of Pattaya the roads suddenly become empty of new pick-ups and cars.. and return to the normality of Thailand.. Old pick-ups and old cars and not that many of them.. My suggestion would be that many of the cars you see in Pattaya were purchased by farangs for their Thai wife/GF/BF.. And many of the rest with proceeds made from businesses related to money spent by farangs... Funny how Bang Saen ( arguable a nicer resort ) doesn't suffer from all the over developement that Pattaya does.. While it is busy with Thais at the weekend ( like Pattaya ) it isn't fulll of free spending love struck farangs ( like Pattaya ) Despite the fact that there are wealthy Thais and more of them that ever before have new cars and bikes Thailand is still a developing country with a very low average income.. The wealth you see in Pattaya gives a false impression and is entirely due to farang money being spent..

Bangkok is also bumper to bumper with new cars too? All due to Farang spending? I think not.

I believe what you're seeing is evidence that the Thais with money prefer living in Pattaya or visiting Pattaya rather than the undeveloped beach resorts up and down the coast.

Prepare to be surprised (all figures from CIA factbook at www.cia.gov):

Percentage living below the poverty line in Thailand: 10%

Percentage living below the poverty line in US: 12%

Unemployed in Thailand: 1.4% (8th best in world)

Unemployed in USA: 5.8%

Like many people on here, you're overestimating the importance of Farang in Thailand.

Is there anything happening on Soi Naklua? its about the only place i have not explored

It can be interesting, there are a few decent bars up there, but it is under occupation by German tourists mostly.

Jomtien is a better option.

To be honest,its more cosmopolitan now,quite a few russians also but not as many germans.Plenty of farangs seem to be going Second Rd north and Naklua Rd,and some stunners too,and more friendly.Wlking st and soi 7/8 ging to the dogs,not friendly either,and many of the girls think their poo doesnt stink

,and many of the girls think their poo doesnt stink

That's rough. So are the girls are starting to act superior, just as their customer do? Perhaps they've stopped pretending to like you?

Edited by tropo

In Central today with friend who was driving. I want to go on living. Seemed to be that directions inside were quite vague after you entered and many spaces roped off. :)

Yes its the worlds worst car park. Takes the crown IMHO from the car park in Pantip Plaza, BKK. Close third is MBK in BKK where often have to drive up 19 floors to find a space.

Bangkok is also bumper to bumper with new cars too? All due to Farang spending? I think not.

I believe what you're seeing is evidence that the Thais with money prefer living in Pattaya or visiting Pattaya rather than the undeveloped beach resorts up and down the coast.

Like many people on here, you're overestimating the importance of Farang in Thailand.

Bangkok is a major capitol city.. The wealthiest Thais in the country live there.. Pattaya was (until recently) a provincial backwater.. What has caused Pattaya to be selected over Chonburi, Rayong and Bang Saen ? Tourism is the only answer. Ditto for Samui, Phuket and Chang.. ( I was living there before they had roads.. Thais didn't cause the boom there..)

The fact that the average Thai in Pattaya has more money to spend than their Isaan relatives is all because of the trickle down from Tourists.. Everything here relys on that fact.. Okay I'm sure Central gets soem overspill of weathly BKK Thais here at the weekend as well as some of the reasturants and entertainment venues.. But do you really think Central is aimed at BKK Thais ? No it's aimed at Pattaya Thais mostly who benefit from farang money in the local economy.. One of my ex GF who worked for Toyota said that on average 4 out of 5 of her customers in Pattaya were farang... Who do you think was (until recently) buying all the houses in East Pattaya and all the Condos being built on the beach ? .. Then you have Carrefour, Homepro and dozens of other businesses.. Yes I'm sure Thais still out number farangs here.. But how many Thais do you know spending 40-50,000 Baht a Month on groceries ? Who buys all the expensive wines, cheeses and imported foods ? Thais ? I think not... I think you seriously under estimate the ammount of money farangs inject (at all levels) into Pattaya.. Not just the two week tourists but long term resident farangs earning high expat salaries.. Buying cars, Bikes and houses/condos ( with cash, no credit )

Bangkok is a major capitol city.. The wealthiest Thais in the country live there.. Pattaya was (until recently) a provincial backwater.. What has caused Pattaya to be selected over Chonburi, Rayong and Bang Saen ? Tourism is the only answer.

Thais with money are settling in the area because it has far more to offer than other towns up and down the coast...that should be obvious. Their choices of nice homes and condominiums are greater. It became the tourist capital in the area because it is the best area geographically. It has the best coastline. Sure, this started on the back of tourists, but it has gained its own momentum.

You don't think that BKK Thais come down to Pattaya and enjoy some seaside shopping? Of course they do. Where better to show off their new cars and their wealth than a place where foreigners are watching too.

Do you realy believe yourself now what you are writing?

Lets say that we put the poverty line at the same level for both country's then percentage living below would be something like 89 % in Thailand I guess.

Also if thailand would have a social security system in place,read where you register when you are unemployed,then that rate would also be 50 %.Or do you count pimping as an employement?

Do you realy believe yourself now what you are writing?

Lets say that we put the poverty line at the same level for both country's then percentage living below would be something like 89 % in Thailand I guess.

I didn't expect you to believe me, that's why I left the reference as to where I obtained the info. If you have a problem with it contact the authors.

The figures speak for themselves.

USA: 12% of 307 million = 36.8 million

Thailand: 10% of 66 million = 6.6 million

I don't see many people doing it really tough in Thailand. I see roads jam packed with brand new motorcycles and bikes. There's less beggars than in US cities and I don't see too many sleeping in cardboard boxes either.

Perhaps I spent too long in the Philippines.

I don't see many people doing it really tough in Thailand. I see roads jam packed with brand new motorcycles and bikes. There's less beggars than in US cities and I don't see too many sleeping in cardboard boxes either.

Maybe you should take a stroll further then walking street then.

I also see loads of new cars and motorcycles which are bought with a down payment of 1500 baht and are back in the warehouse after the third month because the deposit was the one and only payment ever made.

I also see entire villages and condo's owned buy the banks but which are not put on the market because it would create a worse crash then 1997.

I also see loads of new constructions of shophouses while at the same time there are thousands of finished ones that remain unsold or unrented.

I also see that if I drive outside Pattaya,and even inside the city,everyday more and more people living in card board boxes and tin houses.

I think thailand is rising.

I also see loads of new cars and motorcycles which are bought with a down payment of 1500 baht and are back in the warehouse after the third month because the deposit was the one and only payment ever made.

I also see entire villages and condo's owned buy the banks but which are not put on the market because it would create a worse crash then 1997.

I also see loads of new constructions of shophouses while at the same time there are thousands of finished ones that remain unsold or unrented.

I also see that if I drive outside Pattaya,and even inside the city,everyday more and more people living in card board boxes and tin houses.

I don't stroll anywhere and don't spend any time near Walking Street this time of year, so why not stop making assumptions. Then you make a ridiculous assessment that just because you see lots of repossessed cars in a warehouse somewhere it must follow that most of them are unpaid for.

The fact is that no matter how they were paid for, all the main roads here are jammed with new vehicles.

I've had enough of arguing with you about this because you make up stories as you go along.

Merry Christmas.

I don't stroll anywhere and don't spend any time near Walking Street this time of year, so why not stop making assumptions. Then you make a ridiculous assessment that just because you see lots of repossessed cars in a warehouse somewhere it must follow that most of them are unpaid for.

The fact is that no matter how they were paid for, all the main roads here are jammed with new vehicles.

I've had enough of arguing with you about this because you make up stories as you go along.

Merry Christmas.

You must be right,repossessed cars are completely paid off,that is why they are repossessed.

So as I see warehouses full of them I am making up story's.Oh and i just don't see them somewhere there are several auctions EACH AND EVERY week.Ever took a look at the parking lot of big c south pattaya on a friday afternoon?

And yes there are loads of new cars on the roads,because they are given almost for free but are on the auction after they missed the 3rd payment.

Do you want me to point out to you the houses,only here in pattaya, that I know are owned by the bank for looooong time already but aren't put on the market again cos it would cause the price into free fall?

No I not gonna do this because there are not enough pages on this forum to print them all.

And if you don't like to argue with me then stop posting opposite the trend in each and every thread on this forum,then you don't have to go in attack mode when you can't win.

Merry christmas honey.

Merry Christmas.

You must be right,repossessed cars are completely paid off,that is why they are repossessed.

So as I see warehouses full of them I am making up story's.Oh and i just don't see them somewhere there are several auctions EACH AND EVERY week.Ever took a look at the parking lot of big c south pattaya on a friday afternoon?

And yes there are loads of new cars on the roads,because they are given almost for free but are on the auction after they missed the 3rd payment.

Do you want me to point out to you the houses,only here in pattaya, that I know are owned by the bank for looooong time already but aren't put on the market again cos it would cause the price into free fall?

No I not gonna do this because there are not enough pages on this forum to print them all.

And if you don't like to argue with me then stop posting opposite the trend in each and every thread on this forum,then you don't have to go in attack mode when you can't win.

Merry christmas honey.

You just don't stop. If you pay close attention as you think you have you'll find that I only posted in 3 threads on the main page. I have a limited interest in threads. Would you like me to indicate which threads these are?

1. This thread

2. "don't miss Avatar"

3. "Central maybe about to collapse"

That's 3/24 threads in the Pattaya forum or 12.5%.

On the 2nd and 3rd pages I've posted in 3 threads, so that's 3/60 = 5%

...so in total, over the 1st 3 pages I've posted in 6/84 threads or 7% of total threads.

So your story that I post in each and every thead is just that...another one of your stories.

Now you continue to harp on about repossessed cars and banks owning houses. What trip are you on? Most houses and cars in Western nations are also owned by banks and financial institutions and they have warehouses full of repossessed cars too.

It's quite easy to disagree with you because most of what you post is simply not true...and then you make up silly stories to try to prove your feeble points. In addition to that you go out of your way to provoke a negative response. If you've forgotten how, then read back to your earliest replies in this thread to jog your memory.

Edited by tropo

Merry Christmas.

They might be 'jammed with new cars' in Pattaya ( paid for by farangs ) but get out to other parts of Thailand and you'll see a huge difference.. In the last Month I have been to Ubon, Ratchaburi, Petchabun and Nakhon Sri Thamarat.. New cars ( and traffic in general ) is comparitively rare when compared to Pattaya.. The rush to build supermarkets and shopping centers country wide is just putting traditional small business owners out of business.. Rural Thais only have a small ammount of cash to spend so they go to the 'cheaper' megastores.. Wages and land prices are cheap out in the provinces so the overheads are lower and Lotus and such operate on volume rather than high margin..

Whilst 8% maybe the agreed ammount that tourism contibutes to the economy ( I believe it is actually alot more) In places like Pattaya, Samui and Phuket Farangs contiribute a helluva lot more than 8%

Dunno about you but I can remember Samui as an empty island with only a few 50 baht a night bungalows for travellers/backpackers... You really think that all the resorts hotels and businesses there were intended for Thai money... :):D

• 2 weeks later...
High season will end January 10, 2010. :D

Gross exaggeration: January 11th :)

Why that is today! What news from the tourist front?

I assume Salty was wrong with that prognosis.High season hasn't started yet. :D

I was at the walking street disco's on new years eve,around 2 am you could easily move around inside any of the disco's.I tried Marine and Insomnia at that time with a difference of about 30 minutes.Never have seen this possible at any previous years.Other years at that time you will have problems to enter any of the popular disco's.

Was at those disco's again last saturday and it was even more quiet.If you are able to count the customers in Insomnia at 5 am then there is something wrong,I doubt the problem lays with Insomnia.

Was at those disco's again last saturday and it was even more quiet.If you are able to count the customers in Insomnia at 5 am then there is something wrong,I doubt the problem lays with Insomnia.

Maybe people are just fed up having to piss in a cup in that place! :)

Maybe people are just fed up having to piss in a cup in that place! :)

We are talking about tourists aren't we,how should they know about the piss contests in the recent past :D

I think tourists are getting sick of all the scams that go on however i think people also have alot less money these days aswell there are alot more destinations to choose from.

P.s the thai baht might have something to do with it aswell.

Jomtien has been significantly quiter this year, and there are less Russians here than in previous years.

Pattaya seemed to fill up (mostly with Thais) over the Christmas and New Year period, then empty out almost immediately.

Have been living in Jomtien for the past year comming on alternate months whilst working in the region. From what I have observed from last Feb to Nov the bars, restaurants, etc, along Jomtien Beach Road were empty. Go down many of the Soi's from Jomtien Beach Condo towards the end most places had only staff there. Heading towards 'suicide corner' alot of places had customers but not many. From 15th Dec things picked up a bit. You could actually see customers but still not packed out. Over the festive season in Patts I would say it was slightly busier than summer but not shoulder to shoulder.

This is my first high season and to be honest found it rather disappointing as I expected loads more. Once the festive season stragglers go home, ie, late Jan early Feb I reckon alot of buisnesses will go to the wall.

Alot of the money in Patts is from the farang. Same as Phuket. I bought a bike for cash. Go outside of the area and the situation changes. People living in tin huts are everywhere if you choose to look.

If the low season goes low the prices will go up. 'Thai mentality'.