Which Linux Is The Best For Me?

coalminer

I am totally fed up with the whole MicroShit and want to clean up my HD and install another Operating System.

I am not a total newbie on using Operating Systems and I have been using a lot of Operating Systems in the past years.

Many of them on the same hard-disk and switched between them a lot of times in one day.

I have been looking around, and the numbers of Linux releases are many.

Ubuntu and it's variants, Red Hat, Suse, Solaris (Sun), Debian and even the Apple Leopard for PC's.

I have a laptop with 1 GB of RAM (expandable to 8 GB) and a relatively large hardisk (500 GB)

I would like to know from Linux users which is the best version of Linux and why.

TIA

Would just suggest that you first download and run a few Live cd's to get the feel of the different distributions. Compare the Gnome and KDE desktops, and maybe Xfce. Then, install a few programs and play with the package managers.

Linux is made up of choice. So much so, that there are hundreds of distributions and derivatives. Every user has a different need. But, there is usually a distribution to fit that. Ubuntu has both a Christian Linux and Satanic Linux. Not kidding.

And, even though your recent laptop will run a demanding distribution, you might find that even a minimalist distribution would seek a home on its hard drive.

And, even though I'm a Ubuntu user, that has not always been the case. My user needs change as with everything else.

One other suggestion; Linux will boot from a USB drive. Of course, Windows will not. Simply, you can conveniently do away with any dual boot problems this way.

Good luck.

Would just suggest that you first download and run a few Live cd's to get the feel of the different distributions. Compare the Gnome and KDE desktops, and maybe Xfce. Then, install a few programs and play with the package managers.

Linux is made up of choice. So much so, that there are hundreds of distributions and derivatives. Every user has a different need. But, there is usually a distribution to fit that. Ubuntu has both a Christian Linux and Satanic Linux. Not kidding.

I have already been playing around with different versions of Linux though not as you described ("install").

I run Ubuntu and Edubuntu and Knoppix from an USB drive.

Solaris and Red Hat trough a Virtual Machine.

And, even though your recent laptop will run a demanding distribution, you might find that even a minimalist distribution would seek a home on its hard drive.

If you want to have the full potential of Linux, you will need to install Linux on your harddisk in a real Linux partition.

Not an MS Windows compatible version.

But before doing that, I would like to know what version of Linux to decide for.

And, even though I'm a Ubuntu user, that has not always been the case. My user needs change as with everything else.

Why did you opt for Ubuntu?

Are you satisfied with Ubuntu?

Did you try to make any changes to the main core of Ubuntu to fot your needs.

One other suggestion; Linux will boot from a USB drive. Of course, Windows will not. Simply, you can conveniently do away with any dual boot problems this way.

Windows XP can be run from an USB drive.

But I prefer to have the different Operating Systems running together with a Virtual Machine and be able to cut and paste between the different Operting Systems when needed.

The problem is that after running Windows for only 1 month, my hard disk get so filled with Viruses, Trojans and Malware that the computer is running like an old 8068 XT machine.

I have seen the MAC Leopard version for PC's and liked it very much.

It is in almost every way like Windows 7 but without the need for Antivirus and Malware tools who slow down a PC so much that it becomes a P.I.T.A.

PS.: For anyone who wants to try Linux without installing it, I would recommend DSL (Damned Small Linux) which runs like any other Windows program and can be run as a regular windows program.

If you want a distro that holds your hand and has many drivers built in, go for Linux Mint. A lot of people like it because it's psuedo Ubuntu, meaning you can use Ubuntu's repositories, but has a nicer theme and the aforementioned drivers, not all of which are F/OSS, built in.

I personally run SuSE...but I've had Linux installed for nearly 10 years. YaST is really nice, just like the Control Panel in Windows but better. I also keep an install of Slax on my thumbdrive as a demo. Slax is nice because you just put in modules that someone else compiled and it just works. I wouldn't suggest a n00b install it to their hdd because underneath all that it's still Slackware and can get intimidating.

I don't recommend ditching Windows completely if simply for the games and any graphic editing programmes you may use; there's not the monetary incentive to develop those two products for Linux and so the versions we have are a bit behind the Window's versions.

If you want a distro that holds your hand and has many drivers built in, go for Linux Mint. A lot of people like it because it's psuedo Ubuntu, meaning you can use Ubuntu's repositories, but has a nicer theme and the aforementioned drivers, not all of which are F/OSS, built in.

I've heard that the latest version of Ubuntu is running the harddisk almost constanly and as I use a notebook the power hungry attitude is not very welcome.

Never tried L-Mint before.

Will give it a try.

I personally run SuSE...but I've had Linux installed for nearly 10 years. YaST is really nice, just like the Control Panel in Windows but better. I also keep an install of Slax on my thumbdrive as a demo. Slax is nice because you just put in modules that someone else compiled and it just works. I wouldn't suggest a n00b install it to their hdd because underneath all that it's still Slackware and can get intimidating.

Are you pleased with Suse?

Would you like to change to another Linux and why?

I don't recommend ditching Windows completely if simply for the games and any graphic editing programmes you may use; there's not the monetary incentive to develop those two products for Linux and so the versions we have are a bit behind the Window's versions.

I have been running AutoDesk products and other graphical packages for more that 15 years now, and AFAIK, all these packages were running in a MAC version as well.

I was told that the MAC was THE computer to run graphical packages.

I don't like to have games on my notebook, but I find the games which are embedded in Ubuntu (eg Sudoku) far more interesting than the boring cardgames in MS.

I've heard that the latest version of Ubuntu is running the harddisk almost constanly and as I use a notebook the power hungry attitude is not very welcome.

Never tried L-Mint before.

Will give it a try.

The reason that it could be running the hdd constantly is what is called "Tracker". It's just an indexing service to allow quick searches and is easily disabled.

Are you pleased with Suse?

Would you like to change to another Linux and why?

I love it. Started of on Linux Mandrake and never really liked it, don't exactly remember why now. But SuSE has always been there and it takes a LOT to break it. Another thing that I like is the fact that I can install Nvidia's newest driver without a reboot. I still haven't found a way to do that in Ubuntu without rebooting into its 'safe mode'. In SuSE an init 1 and installing the driver at CLI with a 'startx' gets me the latest goodies.

If I was going to switch it would probably be to something like Gentoo. While compiling everything from source doesn't net you as much performance now-a-days it's still good to learn what Linux is actually about and how it fits in with the GNU toolchain. Slackware is another distribution I've messed around with but my schedule precludes getting in depth with it.

I have been running AutoDesk products and other graphical packages for more that 15 years now, and AFAIK, all these packages were running in a MAC version as well.

I don't like to have games on my notebook, but I find the games which are embedded in Ubuntu (eg Sudoku) far more interesting than the boring cardgames in MS.

I can't comment on the Apple question since I don't mess around with that. And I was talking about Big Name games from EA/Steam/etc. rather than the simple games installed with the OS.

"The problem is that after running Windows for only 1 month, my hard disk get so filled with Viruses, Trojans and Malware that the computer is running like an old 8068 XT machine."

What are you downloading?

I have just installed Mint and have been very impressed with it so far

Linux doesn't have to be ugly either. My partition that contains Ubuntu (used so that I can know what y'all are talking about--definitely not SuSE! :) ) is skinned to look like an OSX box.

post-27441-1261891681_thumb.png

Sorry, couldn't get the open dialouge box to display properly....

What are you downloading?

Nothing special.

The ordinary mails and websites.

Last time, I was browsing a Thai website about Government addresses ao, and when I wanted to quit the website, it wouldn't let me. Only a reboot could bring my Notebook back to "life".

But when my notebook rebooted, all my disk drive letters were mixed up and nothing was working anymore.

This is not the first time that this happens and I want to switch to an Operating System which is not as susceptible to worms and other malware as Windows

I have just installed Mint and have been very impressed with it so far

I don't know Mint, but will browse for it.

I will be ostracised and ex-communicated for saying this, but all graphics programmes worth having (that is to say Photoshop and Illustrator) run equally well on a PC. Designers like Macs because they have a cute interface (or put another way, the Windows interface offends the artistic sensibilities of designers and probably anyone with good taste).

I will be ostracised and ex-communicated for saying this, but all graphics programmes worth having (that is to say Photoshop and Illustrator) run equally well on a PC. Designers like Macs because they have a cute interface (or put another way, the Windows interface offends the artistic sensibilities of designers and probably anyone with good taste).

I won't castigate you but would like to point out that for the longest the Macs had the more stable OS (although I've been decently impressed by Window's latest version's stability).....and that's a bit important when you're working on projects.

With saying that "the MAC was THE computer to run graphical packages", I was talking about software packages for DTP (DeskTop Publishing) like Ventura, Pagemaker, ao.

The MAC was THE computer which was mostly used by designers of publishing flyers and other DTP material.

The PC was purely a "games" machine with an awfull Operating System and prone for Viruses, Worms and Malware from day 1.

The PC has gained a lot of lost territory on this field, but the Microsoft Windows remained the BIG problem and still remains the BIG problem.

Part of this MS problem is the fact that Microsoft has always been trying to keep their OS compatible with older sofware and was simply carrying the main problem from one generation of software to the other.

IMHO, Microsoft had many opportunities to start with a complete new Operating System which would sweep all the existing problems under the table at once.

Edited by coalminer

This question depends on

1. What level / amount of experience have you had with linux

2. It would be wise to try the live cd's at least to test your hardware and make sure everything works

If anything all linux distro's are very similiar in many ways just depends on your level of experience

problem is that after running Windows for only 1 month, my hard disk get so filled with Viruses, Trojans and Malware

I hate to point this out especially on a linux forum, and try to keep a simple point.

1. Windows gets these simply due to economics, it is much easier for a criminal to make money targeting a windows computer due to marketshare than to target a mac or linux.

2. If your windows computer is getting all of these then simply enough you lack knowledge of basic computer security. I've run windows for years without getting my computer comprised due to simple ways of protecting my computer.

If any of you think that linux is full proof from virus, malware your wrong it will be due to simple economics. Also if any of you feel you really need security then you to be running SE Linux. Every OS has flaws, exploits.

I was talking about software packages for DTP (DeskTop Publishing) like Ventura, Pagemaker, ao.

The MAC was THE computer which was mostly used by designers of publishing flyers and other DTP material.

It was *preferred* by designers, I've heard that many times, but I'm not sure that the Mac was ever actually 'better'. Designers were using the same software on both platforms and that's still true today. Almost all Thai publishing houses use Adobe Creative Suite for page layout (InDesign, together with Photoshop and Illustrator) regardless of what OS they use. The printers I've worked with in Thailand typically have one or two Macs lying around but the majority of their machines are PCs - because they are cheaper. Pagemaker was discontinued a few years ago, it's pretty much dead.

I hate to point this out especially on a linux forum, and try to keep a simple point.

1. Windows gets these simply due to economics, it is much easier for a criminal to make money targeting a windows computer due to marketshare than to target a mac or linux.

2. If your windows computer is getting all of these then simply enough you lack knowledge of basic computer security. I've run windows for years without getting my computer comprised due to simple ways of protecting my computer.

If any of you think that linux is full proof from virus, malware your wrong it will be due to simple economics. Also if any of you feel you really need security then you to be running SE Linux. Every OS has flaws, exploits.

Sorry this is off topic but it is important...

This "due to marketshare" thing is a common argument, but it is flawed.

Regardless of the market share, the security models of GNU/Linux and MacOS/BSD are much better than what Microsoft has. The update services of major distros of GNU/Linux are much quicker, and the default security settings makes more sense in most distros of GNU/Linux.

I also think it is plain rude to say to people that they get viruses because of lack of knowledge. They get viruses and other problems because Microsoft release bad software. Every user of Microsoft's products (including you and me) has to deal with this, one way or the other. Even large corporations with highly skilled professional IT-staff have huge problems with this resulting in increased demands and acceptance of restrictions in the use of computers to the point where it gets ridiculous.

SE-Linux being mentioned in the wrong place, makes it important to clear out any misunderstandings what SE-Linux is.

SE-Linux is a security enhancement to the Linux kernel that can be installed on all major distros. For a user, new to GNU/Linux, SE-Linux is an unnecessary complication and is not recommended unless you have experience with GNU/Linux and know what you are doing.

Back on topic....

If you want to replace Windows with something that works, take one of the mainstream distros. Ubuntu/Kubuntu and any the derivatives like Mint are fine.

I would not recommend Suse (although it is an excellent distro) because Novell has a made themselves a bad reputation in the community by signing business deals that are not acceptable. The same goes for Xandros, Linspire etc...

My favorite distro, after using a number of different GNU/Linux distros since 2001, is Gentoo, but it is not a distro for first timers. Their documentation is better than anything else in the business and the forum is filled with really skilled people.

Nowadays I usually install Ubuntu because of corporate demands, although I don't like it much. Having said that, Ubuntu is a lot better than what people say... so go for it... There's really no way you can loose!

Martin

Siamect...

Another thing to point out that is a bit wrong with the attitude that while Windows does have a better marketshare on the desktop, where the REAL money is--i.e. servers--the *nixes are still King. It's much easier to go ahead and break into one place and get everyone's money than trying to go around individually getting it...and yet reports of this happening are virtually nil.

I agree with you about SELinux also...might as well run BSD as much as it locks you down! But you're wrong about SuSE; if you've ever tried to connect to a Windows Domain Server than you know how hard it is on most distros (and not that fun on older Windows versions either); on SuSE it's super easy. Running YaST definitely makes life easy...no pecking through the menus looking for how to change options (for example...just where in Ubuntu do you change the I/O scheduler?). And just because they

If you like Gentoo and think that a moderately knowledgable user can get going on it, why don't you point them to Sabayon?

I have been talking with a few students and professors of the local University, and it seems that they are developping their own Linux based package.

They offered me to install their Linux based software (derivated from Ubuntu 9.1) and to give me full support.

Their package can be seen here:

linux.sut.ac.th

As one of the most important things in switching to Linux would be to have a good support, I might as well let them install their Linux package on my hard disk

Wouid this be a good decision?

If you speak Thai and get on well with the developers it might be an ok option. But if your primary language is English or something else, stick with the mainstream version. The packages are much better tested (sheer scale of numbers) and there is a huge online community you can access for support.

Siamect...

Another thing to point out that is a bit wrong with the attitude that while Windows does have a better marketshare on the desktop, where the REAL money is--i.e. servers--the *nixes are still King. It's much easier to go ahead and break into one place and get everyone's money than trying to go around individually getting it...and yet reports of this happening are virtually nil.

I agree with you about SELinux also...might as well run BSD as much as it locks you down! But you're wrong about SuSE; if you've ever tried to connect to a Windows Domain Server than you know how hard it is on most distros (and not that fun on older Windows versions either); on SuSE it's super easy. Running YaST definitely makes life easy...no pecking through the menus looking for how to change options (for example...just where in Ubuntu do you change the I/O scheduler?). And just because they

If you like Gentoo and think that a moderately knowledgable user can get going on it, why don't you point them to Sabayon?

I didn't say that Gentoo is good for a moderately knowledgable user (whatever that is?)... If you are into self inflicted pain, it is great fun...

I have used Sabayon quite a lot and the only reason to use Sabayon instead of Gentoo is that has a fast and easy install procedure compare to Gentoo. They have messed up a little in that that they have two package managers or is it three now? But if you know what you want you can have a good time with Sabayon.

I don't see any benefits for a first timer to use Sabayon instead of Ubuntu although Sabayon is fun...

I don't know what you were going to say more about Suse, but I don't sell my soul for the great pleasure of being able to change my I/O scheduler using a GUI when I feel the great urge to do so... I have never done it and I doubt that it is important... do you see any performance gain?

Adding a GNU/Linux box to a Windows domain is a crime against the freedom of humanity and should be as complicated as possible. :)

But as I said, Suse is an excellent distro... technically, but they have done too much damage to the community already.

Basically it is so easy to install and switch so the decision about distros is not that important. Make sure you have your data backed up. Start with something... change when you get sick of it... You will find the right distro sooner or later...

To be pure you should choose gNewSense....

Martin

Try them all - first as a live 'bootable' O/S, then install later, if you like it. No VM

I run Mac 10.06

PCLOS2009.2

MDV 2010

XP SP3 - no updates - Avast - updates

Puppy4.0?

Kubuntu 9.04?

Mint 8

MiniMe 2009

etc ...

I think I have said this before, but I have a good lot of Linux released on an USB-stick and have been runnong that for a long time.

The release I like the most, is the Solaris release.

It recognises ALL my hardware instantly and run it without asking a lot of questions.

Most of the add-ons like games, utilities or drivers can be downloaded from the OpenSource community.

I like also the idea that was proposed to me to install the Linux version (based on Ubuntu) from my local university and have their support 24/24 hours.

BTW, besides the application you have summed up, I run:

- CPM (YES, it still exists),

- Maynard,

- TeleMecanique OS,

etc ...

I didn't say that Gentoo is good for a moderately knowledgable user (whatever that is?)... If you are into self inflicted pain, it is great fun...

A moderately knowledgeable user would be one who knew what a *.tar.gz is, could unzip it and install it.

I have used Sabayon quite a lot and the only reason to use Sabayon instead of Gentoo is that has a fast and easy install procedure compare to Gentoo. They have messed up a little in that that they have two package managers or is it three now? But if you know what you want you can have a good time with Sabayon.

I don't see any benefits for a first timer to use Sabayon instead of Ubuntu although Sabayon is fun...

I don't know what you were going to say more about Suse, but I don't sell my soul for the great pleasure of being able to change my I/O scheduler using a GUI when I feel the great urge to do so... I have never done it and I doubt that it is important... do you see any performance gain?

It's obviously not necessary to use the GUI, but it is nice to have everything Right There in Yast to much around with rather than trying to remember or google the equivalent commands. I've learned a lot about Linux just from exploring in there. Sax2 is really cool for making sure that your xserver is up and running right also.

The reason that I had picked the scheduler out is that was something I had been looking at after reading a post on an x264 developer's page. He provided a case where BFS was much faster at transcoding. At the time there was no stable kernel that provided the speed using the default scheduler. So rather than run a testing kernel I patched mine and just switched when transcoding. It's a moot point now since the latest kernel's scheduler is nearly at the same speed.

Adding a GNU/Linux box to a Windows domain is a crime against the freedom of humanity and should be as complicated as possible. :)

Unless you want to use your *nix box on a corporate network....

But as I said, Suse is an excellent distro... technically, but they have done too much damage to the community already.

What damage? I love how people state that and can provide ZERO case examples! Why don't they also direct so much anger at Nvidia for tainting the kernel on each driver install?

Basically it is so easy to install and switch so the decision about distros is not that important. Make sure you have your data backed up. Start with something... change when you get sick of it... You will find the right distro sooner or later...

And that's what get's me down about Ubuntu...IIRC it doesn't automatically create your /home on a seperate partition. So when a n00b installs it and decides to try out another distro all of their files are gone. Why?

Martin

A moderately knowledgeable user would be one who knew what a *.tar.gz is, could unzip it and install it.

I think you need a little more than that if Gentoo is going to be your thing... but is it more about what amount of energy you want to put in...

It's obviously not necessary to use the GUI, but it is nice to have everything Right There in Yast to much around with rather than trying to remember or google the equivalent commands. I've learned a lot about Linux just from exploring in there. Sax2 is really cool for making sure that your xserver is up and running right also.

I'm sure you learn a lot but it is not about Linux you learn, it is about Yast, however I think it can take people over the threshold and that is good.

The reason that I had picked the scheduler out is that was something I had been looking at after reading a post on an x264 developer's page. He provided a case where BFS was much faster at transcoding. At the time there was no stable kernel that provided the speed using the default scheduler. So rather than run a testing kernel I patched mine and just switched when transcoding. It's a moot point now since the latest kernel's scheduler is nearly at the same speed.

This is interesting...

Unless you want to use your *nix box on a corporate network....

If I just have some way of transferring my work to whoever is the recipient, I'm happy to stay out of there.

What damage? I love how people state that and can provide ZERO case examples! Why don't they also direct so much anger at Nvidia for tainting the kernel on each driver install?

Well I guess we are drifting off topic, but this is important! Nvidia and other hardware vendors sometime use proprietary programs in the form of binary blobs that are dumped into the sources in the kernel tree or delivered separately.

Some kernel trees have these blobs, others don't. Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton accept some of these blobs in their tree. They do value freedom the same way as the people in the free software movement. They are more in line with the open source movement.

I sympathize with free software movement, but I'm not a member of fsf and I'm not pure. I use non-free device drivers in my installations.

LT and AM do not, to my knowledge, have any evil purpose for putting non-free drivers into the kernel. They just want things to work. I think it is a serious breach in the philosophy of free software and it should be avoided. But LT and AM have never said they belong to the free software movement, so it's just up to you to use their kernel or some other kernel. They don't force you into anything.

That is where they differ from Novell. The deal is the "Microsoft Letter of Promise" that Novell and a few others have signed. That deal is most likely the most destructive move that Microsoft has ever done to free software and no one should sign an agreement like that, regardless if the future of the company is in danger. It has the potential to cause serious problems for all users of free software and well as users of proprietary software. You don't have any chance of staying out of this:

Basically the deal is that Microsoft tell users (You and me in this case) nicely, that they will NOT sue us if we pay money to them by buying licenses from Novell or others that have signed the deal. So if you buy a license from Novell, they will give Microsoft some money and Microsoft "promise" they will NOT sue you for patent infringements.

Microsoft is not doing this to get money from the licenses but they are using the power of patents to try to kill the free software progress. All nontrivial software infringe patents. Many of those patents make sense only if your IQ is less than 30. It is very often no level at all. (and yes I can give examples). In fact you cannot write anything non trivial today without breaking multiple patents.

Patents are threatening the free software users as well as the programmers. We shall therefore never accept software patents. Large corporations negotiate in between each other because they all have thousands of software patents and the result is that only the large ones survive. "We can sue you and you can sue us, just let's not do it."

Companies that has maybe just a few clever software patents can not distribute their innovative software without violating numerous silly patents held by others. Therefore they can not distribute their software and they can easily be taken over by the larger corporations.

By signing a deal like this, Novell encourages the use of software patents and the fact that they are incorrectly regarded as representatives for free software or at least open source software movement, will make it very easy to motivate punishments of those who are regarded "patent violators" (you and me, users, programmers).

Without Novell and others signing this deal with Microsoft, the effect would be zero. Microsoft's use of software patents against free software users and programmers would be much easier to fight because there would be no one from the free software or open software communities supporting them. It would be very clear that this fight is between a totalitarian multinational monopolistic giant against the people. Now the court get the impression that there are people from both sides supporting software patents.

That why I don't use Nowell/Microsoft software.

Please read about the case SCO against IBM (programmer) and Daimler-Benz (user) and you see that the patents threatens users directly, as well as programmers. Patent laws in US and many other countries, are transferring responsibility to users, not only to programmers.

And that's what get's me down about Ubuntu...IIRC it doesn't automatically create your /home on a seperate partition. So when a n00b installs it and decides to try out another distro all of their files are gone. Why?

I fully agree with you in this case.

Martin

Edited by siamect

• 1 month later...

I do have Ubuntu studio and even some commercial software running

Vitualbox with Win XP Pro

and Debian

on Ubuntu studio Wine-Doors

only for 2 Win applications

an Imac

and I'm really happy

Parrallelson Mac with an Win XP

only for my embroidery machine

I find it surprising that a person who is unable to keep Windows virus free would think they could ever get along with Linux. Good luck, you are going to need it. :)

I find it surprising that a person who is unable to keep Windows virus free would think they could ever get along with Linux. Good luck, you are going to need it. :)

Yet another one who wants to spread shadows over GNU/Linux...

I assume your computer is running windows... what makes you think your computer is free from viruses?

Martin

I assume your computer is running windows... what makes you think your computer is free from viruses?

Martin

Why would I "spread shadows" over Linux? I still have Ubuntu 9.1 on a hard drive but have not used it since I installed Win 7 Pro. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and if there is a virus on my computer, it certainly doesn't bother anything.

I have a real aversion to manually putting in lines of code. My CAT EVDO has never worked properly with Ubuntu. Why would I want to have to spend a lot of time to connect to the Internet when Windows connects automatically.

I have not had any problems with malware or virus with Windows but have had many problems getting things to work with Linux. Surely you can't believe Linux is easier to master than preventing malware on Windows?

Martin

Why would I "spread shadows" over Linux? I still have Ubuntu 9.1 on a hard drive but have not used it since I installed Win 7 Pro. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and if there is a virus on my computer, it certainly doesn't bother anything.

I have a real aversion to manually putting in lines of code. My CAT EVDO has never worked properly with Ubuntu. Why would I want to have to spend a lot of time to connect to the Internet when Windows connects automatically.

I have not had any problems with malware or virus with Windows but have had many problems getting things to work with Linux. Surely you can't believe Linux is easier to master than preventing malware on Windows?

I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about your motives for spreading shadows. Maybe you are a sales guy, maybe not. How would I know?

Please explain what you mean by "spend a lot of time to connect to the Internet when Windows connects automatically"?

I have never had any problems to connect to the Internet neither on Windows nor Gnu/Linux.

Martin

I live out in the boonies and the best Internet option for me is CAT EVDO. I'll wager that you have never tried to use the USB EVDO CCU-680 modem to connect.

YES, there are solutions on the Internet but none of them work more than once. Windows connects when booted every time.

ADDED - My Nokia is easily connected using Ubuntu. GSM is NOT EVDO.

Edited by Gary A