Excess Renovation/remodling Along Walking Street

morrobay

What is with all this renovation on Walking street? Just take a daytime walk from North entrance to Soi 16 then up. It looks like half the place is being guttet out, sometimes

to bars for the second time in a year ( ala the Mexican cafe on Pattaya Central rd. between Tops and Beach Rd ?

I admit I prefer the original funky style of the originals on Walking St, and I know things have to change. But is the future Walking St all glass and metal, ala Soho sq?

So the question is, does all this renovation seem normal to you all in terms of being in a good for business sense,

or does it seem like something out of control?

What is with all this renovation on Walking street? It looks like half the place is being guttet out

Half the place !? :) Could you give us (many) examples ?

I walk along Walking Street 2 days ago

and do not remember more than 1 or 2 shops having renovation

It seems to me that all shops and bars are ready and running for this (short) high season.

The only exception for me is the failure of the big "Dome of pleasure" who probably never will be.

And maybe Teazer coyote who opened 3 days ago and was then in renovation 4 days ago :D

What is with all this renovation on Walking street? It looks like half the place is being guttet out

Half the place !? :) Could you give us (many) examples ?

I walk along Walking Street 2 days ago

and do not remember more than 1 or 2 shops having renovation

It seems to me that all shops and bars are ready and running for this (short) high season.

The only exception for me is the failure of the big "Dome of pleasure" who probably never will be.

And maybe Teazer coyote who opened 3 days ago and was then in renovation 4 days ago :D

??? Even Ray Charles could see what Im referring to .

Will the OP qualify his assertion first?

I was down there a couple of nights ago and this claim that 'half the place' is gutted is a crock. I walked slowly all the way from the police van to Bali Hai... and back. Heavy foot traffic but no massive reconstruction and/or renovation beyond the odd 2 or 3 places getting the usual annual redo and seasonal tarting up for the punters.

Now, if you want an answer to the question if it is sustainable; since everything on the seaward side of WS is an illegal construction (and has been for +35 years), I reckon it's GREAT business sense to invest this way don't you agree?

Like I originally said you need to look at this in the daytime, like the morning ,when all this massive renovation is going on .

It is much more obvious to see in the daytime than at night.

Sure 1/2 the place being gutted out is an exageration.

But if you want to bring this down to a count of how many renovations are ongoing there right now ,fine.

Go there in the A.M and include the side sois down to and up soi 16 and you will most definetly see more than 2-3

OK I just counted the renovations from The Pier (under renovation) at Walking St entrance to Soho Sq and only counted 5-6.

My OP was based on a consecutive count from a few weeks ago and that total was more than this current count of 5-6

In Pattaya in general construction and renovation is in excess IMO

I love all these bar and club owners on walking street... they all do the same mistakes and nobody learns from them...

The 3 golden rules of a successful business...:

1) Find out WHAT the costumers want

2) Build WHAT the costumers want

3) Promote and Market THAT to your costumers

And this is what 90% of all bar/club owners on walkingstreet do...:

1) Build what ever the owner think is cool, or what ever everyone else has already build

2) Throw some 35 year old tatooed women with stretchmarks on to the stage

3) Put in huge speakers and play techno.mp3 on endless loop at 100% volume

4) Hope and prey that someone bothers to enter your club

How many times have you been asked the following questions by a bar owner:

- "What do you want and exspect from a good bar/club?"

- "What captures your interest when you walk down walkingstreet?"

- "What would it take to get you to enter my bar/club?"

And once the club/bar has been build, and you leave it after your first visit....:

- "What did or didnt you like about my bar/club?"

- "What could we improve that would make you come back again?"

- "What could we do to make you reccomend this bar/club to your friends?"

Who here have EVER been asked those questions?

A bar is a business! - make it the way we want it and we will come!!

... and only counted 5-6.

5 or 6 on a few hundreds bar or shops of Walking Street ?

and you call that "half the place" ??

:)

Rather than play counting games with some of you people I want to restate the original post from the observation it was based on .

That the renovations that have been going on in the last year along Walking street and other areas (like the strip mall between Tops and Beach rd )

are excessive.

And in the same catagory of all this excess construction of malls ,condos and other commercial and retail space that is still sitting around empty years after construction.

There are alot of different viewpoints on "reality" around here when it comes to numbers like on the high season thread.

Where people see alot of road traffic clogging Pattaya ( which are mostly Thai people driving around ) And these same posters see thousands of people ,many of them Thai ,

wondering around malls because because they have nothing better to do . And these posters taking a snapshot of a main, always busy venue on Walking st -and say its a busy high season.

Anyway ,back to the original restated original topic : renovations and construction, including empty condos and retail space ,in Pattaya over the last 2 years is excessive.

And if you cannot see that objective reality and want to carry on that it is otherwise than excessive - Knock yourself out.

I have better things to do

Edited by morrobay

I love all these bar and club owners on walking street... they all do the same mistakes and nobody learns from them...

How many times have you been asked the following questions by a bar owner:

- "What do you want and exspect from a good bar/club?"

- "What captures your interest when you walk down walkingstreet?"

- "What would it take to get you to enter my bar/club?"

And once the club/bar has been build, and you leave it after your first visit....:

- "What did or didnt you like about my bar/club?"

- "What could we improve that would make you come back again?"

- "What could we do to make you reccomend this bar/club to your friends?"

Who here have EVER been asked those questions?

A bar is a business! - make it the way we want it and we will come!!

They are not catering to the ex-pats..........they are catering to the short-term tourists who spend an awful lot more money in that time than most old ex-pats ever do.