English Book Swapping

gerrysegg

I brought cases of all types of English Language Books, Novels both paperback and hardcover, from America when I moved here. All types and too numerous to list at this time. I have read most of them. I am looking to see if anyone or people want to get together to swap books. It gets kind of expensive buying English Books and I thought we can save some baht and keep our minds exercised with some good reading inexpensively or for no cost.

If interested, we can start a post and then make arrangements for meeting for swapping and talking.

Jerry

Sounds great. Count me in. I normally read about one book per week...but with this new house being built, I am doing about 1 every 2 weeks. I am new to Pattaya, but remember in Bangkok used books were expensive. When we came back here from the US, we did checked luggage only. Hard to bring many books under those limitations.

I read pretty much anything, except romance! Prefer Clancy type novels, but got into classics for a few years. I was lucky and traveled through Kathmandu a few times...what great used book stores they have there. Unreal.

Right now we are in an apartment in Jomtien until we move into our house in Baan Amphum, near Ambassador. What part of Pattaya are you from?

Craig

Thanks for your reply. When I moved here with a Longstay Visa, I had all my belongings shipped here. Therefore, I was able to bring a substantial amount of books. Mainly read/ have fiction. Mystery, suspense and general Novels. Some of the authors are Grisham, Connelly, Patterson, Sanford, Woods and many more. I like the who did it books as it keeps me engaged wanting to find out the surprise ending. No romance novels.

I have a house about 25 minutes outside of Pattaya. I drive in to town quite often and am more willing to meet someplace to share belongings. Actually, I was going to be there for a few days in February. Not sure which hotel yet. That will give us time to finish up on some of our current readings and perhaps bring them for swap purposes. We would do a lot better swapping then selling or buying new or used English books. Has anyone had the chance to check out Canterbury Tales in Pattaya? I understand they have a used book shop and will give credit for our books. I will check that out as well.

Perhaps we will be successful in getting more people involved for this purpose. Hope to speak/ see you all soon.

You guys might also like to check out the Thais for Life bookshop in Soi Yensabi (behind soi day & night south pattaya road) a great selections of all types of books both fiction and non-fiction plus various languages. books are 80baht of which 40baht is credited when you purchase your next book thereby costing only 40baht for each subsequent trade in.

All proceeds go to the Thais for Life Charity which amongst other things supports the Jing Jai Orphanage.

Thai 4 Life is for charity and their books are only 80 baht, the cheapest in town. Even for hardbacks. Even for high value books you might see for 400 baht used in Bangkok. So, may I humbly suggest, forget the 50 percent credit at that bookstore. Just donate the books back and keep paying the full 80 baht for new purchases. Its for charity.

Edited by Jingthing

I went to Thais for Life bookshop today. I was quite impressed. The small shop had a huge selection of used English books. As mentioned earlier, any book they sell is at a cost of 80 Baht. If you were so inclined, you could return those books you purchased and get a credit of 40 Baht for subsequent purchases. All in all a good deal and recommended.

Thais 4 Life also welcomes DONATIONS of your used books. They will not buy your books that are not already in their system for cash or credit as this is for charity. I know something about the people behind this charity and they are the real deal, really helping people. Please support them.

Edited by Jingthing

Thais 4 Life also welcomes DONATIONS of your used books. They will not buy your books that are not already in their system for cash or credit as this is for charity. I know something about the people behind this charity and they are the real deal, really helping people. Please support them.

We also have a smaller selection available from the Bondi Bar on Dongtan Beach just opposite the Police Station.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of an old subject I'm pulling up here but I wrote down the Thai 4 Life bookshop and went looking for it twice this week and it doesn't exist or isn't there anymore. Noone knows it! I've been going round there for an hour twice and covered all the sois and side sois behind VC hotel and it just ain't there.

Kind of an old subject I'm pulling up here but I wrote down the Thai 4 Life bookshop and went looking for it twice this week and it doesn't exist or isn't there anymore. Noone knows it! I've been going round there for an hour twice and covered all the sois and side sois behind VC hotel and it just ain't there.

It is there. Ask for Soi Yensabai. Same soi as Volterra Italian restaurant.

Here is their website:

http://www.thais4life.com/

It also has a map...apparently it is on soi yensabai condo, not just soi yensabai...that whole area there is very confusing!!

I believe Soi Yensabai is Soi 18, follow it up a couple of hundred yards away from 2nd Road (maybe a bit more) and look out for a sign for Rileys Snooker, (it's a turn to the right), the Thai's for Life bookshop is opposite the Rileys Snooker Hall. There's a sandwich-board type sign outside, but beware, from memory they are only open from about 11am to 6pm and closed on Sundays so it's quite easy to go there at the wrong time and not find them.

Just checked the website......it's 12 - 6pm and closed Sundays.

Edited by gmac

Thai 4 Life is for charity and their books are only 80 baht, the cheapest in town. Even for hardbacks. Even for high value books you might see for 400 baht used in Bangkok. So, may I humbly suggest, forget the 50 percent credit at that bookstore. Just donate the books back and keep paying the full 80 baht for new purchases. Its for charity.

Where is that?

• 10 months later...