Misubishi Pajero / Chevy Captiva

CDNinKS

Looking at all the SUV options in LOS.

Fortuner is of course very popular, but they are sold out of the Aperto. I am also not thrilled with the 3rd row seats..... I don't like the way they fold up against the side windows, seems like an after thought. I think they are popular just because they are Toyota.

The Mu-7 is better value than the Fortuner I think, but also a very big car, too big for my needs.

CRV is a girls car......nuff said.

Ford Escape a bit too small and no diesel option.

Ford Everest, don't like the rear mounted wheel.

So, other than the big bucks options (BMW, MB, etc.) that leaves the Chevy Captiva and the Pajero

Anyone with real world recent experience with these 2 cars?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Snowflake.......anyone else with personal experience? I see on the website they don't offer the Pajero in white, yet in the Mitsubishi magazine that is on the same website there is one shown in white. Anyone seen a white one?

Thanks Snowflake.......anyone else with personal experience? I see on the website they don't offer the Pajero in white, yet in the Mitsubishi magazine that is on the same website there is one shown in white. Anyone seen a white one?

My Thai mate bought the white special edition Pajero (cost the same) 1 week ago... They do have them, or they can order them...

If you need me to go down to the showroom I can but you have to PM me... Otherwise it will have to wait till after the new years celebrations...

I live in NST and if we have it, I am sure that other places has them too...

(I think he bought the 2.5 GLS)... It was cheaper than my other Thai mate who bought his 3.2GLS over 1 year ago...

Just got back from a visit to the Mitsubishi dealer. The white is available but in limited quantities and there is a premium price of B 15,000. That brings the 2WD GT to 1,112,000. Free insurance and 3M window tint thrown in. The 2WD comes with 16 inch wheels so I will change those later.....probably for 18". Will also add the reverse camera and the GPS module to round it out.

I had a good look around and like the way the rear seats fold flat into the floor. I doubt I would have a need for the 3rd row of seats so they will always be folded for the extra cargo area, but nice to know that if the need arises the option is there. The GF likes the look of the car better than a Fortuner as well.

Will put an order in tomorrow.

Just got back from a visit to the Mitsubishi dealer. The white is available but in limited quantities and there is a premium price of B 15,000. That brings the 2WD GT to 1,112,000. Free insurance and 3M window tint thrown in. The 2WD comes with 16 inch wheels so I will change those later.....probably for 18". Will also add the reverse camera and the GPS module to round it out.

I had a good look around and like the way the rear seats fold flat into the floor. I doubt I would have a need for the 3rd row of seats so they will always be folded for the extra cargo area, but nice to know that if the need arises the option is there. The GF likes the look of the car better than a Fortuner as well.

Will put an order in tomorrow.

Congrats... Have fun with it...

Personally I think the Mitsu is ugly and has no character.

The Captiva on the other hand is a beauty with very sleek lines.

I should have been clear, I'm referring to the new Pajero Sport, not the regular Pajero.

I agree that the Captiva does have nice lines, but I think it is more in the cross-over category (an all wheel drive car) than an SUV. Same as the the CRV.

For me the negatives of the Captiva was price, B1.5 for the white edition vs 1.1 for the Pajero and also not sure I wanted to buy a car from a company in Bankruptcy :)

SnowFlake,

I have been told by the dealer that the GPS module to activate the NAVI function of the multi-function display is a 29,000B option from Mitsubishi, but that I can get it for about 10,000 from one of the local audio shops. Can you ask your friends who own a Pajero Sport what they did about this? Also if they went the outside source route, what is the GPS based on, Garmin?

Thanks

SnowFlake,

I have been told by the dealer that the GPS module to activate the NAVI function of the multi-function display is a 29,000B option from Mitsubishi, but that I can get it for about 10,000 from one of the local audio shops. Can you ask your friends who own a Pajero Sport what they did about this? Also if they went the outside source route, what is the GPS based on, Garmin?

Thanks

I think that the first mate that bought it got it for free (1 year)...

I have to look into that... Can only ask one of them since they don't speak enought English or a just to dumb to know... They all have the GPS in their cars but none of them have ever used it... (THEY WANT FOR SHOW)...

Will tell you tomorrow...

While i appreciate that england is england and thailand is thailand, something that put me off buying the captiva was seeing the price in england, 14 grand for the base model, which left me thinking if its that cheap in england then perhaps it is not as good as i thought, just my thinking :) .

Thanks Snowflake........yes, I know all about the "for show" :)

I'm going to the dealer today......will see what I can find out.

I also checked the price of a similar model of the Pajero Sport in Canada and it is about $38,000 plus tax. So that would be about 1.3 million baht, which is very close to the price here.

i just bought the limited white 2010 pajero sport...

took it on a two week road trip...

overall very very happy with it...

prefer its looks to fortuner personally, interior and ex... and there are less of them out there...

havent pursued the gps yet as i used the feature on my wifes iphone... will look into it tho....

only thing i thought was odd is that there is no usb plug for iphone/pod... its 2010 after all....

Hey Chivo,

thanks for that report. Can you tell me what the functions of the touch screen are? Can't seem to get a straight answer. How was the ride? Road noise? I am looking at the 2WD model with the 2.5 Which model did you get?

Got to the bottom of the GPS mystery. The only unit that will integrate with the 7" screen is a unit from Alpine. This is not what I expected it to be, a small receiver box remotely mounted. It is actually an Alpine PMD-B100E hand held unit that connects with the 7" screen. I was assured that it has dual language capability (Eng/Thai) however if I wanted voice (turn left, etc) then that was an added cost. The price I was quoted is B29,000..........that seems very steep. Will check Ebay to see if this is right.

Get a Fortuner...................

You know it makes sense. :D

There is a simple reason why there are an over abundance of Fortuners on the road compared with MU7's or Ford Everest or The Silly named Pajero " Sport ", <deleted> is the sport all about ? Cos Fortuners are good motors, don't take much working out does it ?

And to not want ba car because there are so many of the same model about means what exactly ?

You think people are gonna stop and stare at you because you have a Captiva ? :)

One of my cars is a Fortuner, great car it's been, 4 years old, never any problem at all, I mean nothing at all, same everything since new.

Resale value will be good too, but you go ahead and get a Chevrolet................yours brand new today will be worth less then my 4 year old Fortuner in 6 years time.

I was gonna buy a Captiva until I worked out just how much more a Fortuner is worth.

Get a Fortuner...................

Can not, no hab :)

Try and buy an Aperto, the only 2WD model available with Navi, in white........all sold out and no idea if that option will ever be made again.

The Fortuner is a nice car, and it is a Toyota.......but that doesn't mean that the other cars do not have some good features as well.

It would be a pretty boring world if we all dressed in baggy shorts and knee socks as well, as practical as that may be :D

Edited by CDNinKS

You might want to look out for the

Yes, that is the one I found as well, thanks. If you go to the Alpine site it says the NVE-M300 is also compatible with a number of other Alpine products/screens, that is why I'm trying to find the model number of the sceen installed in the Sport.

Cheers

CDNinKS

sure i'll check out the model number of the system in a day if you can wait. owner manual is down in the car....

i bought the 4 wheel drive more for the 3.2 power actually... i was worried the 2.5 wouldn't be enough...

it is a diesel whatever that has to do with anything...

not too much noise and its smooth, very comfortable seating...

Thanks chivo, will not be able to pickup the car till sometime after the 15th......monks are involved :) so appreciate your comments.

I emailed Mitsubishi Thailand to query what I consider an unprofessional option for the GPS module, a handheld unit (expensive) attached to the screen and left hanging loose in the glove box. Here is the response:

Dear K.*****.,

GPS option is not applicable for all Pajero Sport model. We have

the contract with Alpine supplier who provide this kind of service.

But unfortunately, Alpine is the only one supplier that we have contract

on GPS option installation therefore we are unable to advise you other

supplier who process this service.

We do understand that you are seeking for excellence on Mitsubishi brand

and we also hope that we would be able to support and advise you on other

issues in the future.

Please feel free to contact us at Mitsubishi call center 02 - 529

- 9500 , Mon - Fri 8:00 am. - 5:30 pm.

Looking forward to serve you with the best service.

Regards,

Call center Mitsubishi