Tesol/tefl Which Is Best

brandnew

Hi there everyone

I am very new at all of this and so keen to get to Thailand and make the most of the beautiful country. I am a South African and have been looking for the best angles to attack to make it as easy as possible for myself. :) I have a BA degree and a post grad ceritificate but would really like a head start in the class room.

There is a TESOL course in Cape Town that I have signed up for, which is a two week course and through further investigation i see that there are so many options, whether it's TEFL/TESOL/ESL i want to choose the best one...any help?

Also is it advised to get a non-immigrant visa before arrival, or can i apply once in Bankok?

Look forward to hearing your views.

There's no difference between a TEFL and a TESOL. They're different names for the same thing: a certificate awarded to a native English speaker for teaching English as a foreign language. ESL is different, because an ESL certificate is for teaching foreigners English as a second language in a native speaking English country

Get as much evaluated teaching practice as you can out of your TESOL/TEFL course. That's the important thing: classroom experience with feedback from a qualified teacher.

As for a visa, unless you have a job lined up before you come to Thailand, you will need to enter on a tourist visa, or visa on arrival, and then make a visa run to Laos once you have a job lined up. Your employer should provide the documents you need to get the Non-B visa issued. Then you get your work permit from the provincial Ministry of Labour. You only can get a visa on arrival in Thailand, which gives you 30 days. You must apply for a tourist visa, or a non-B, outside Thailand. You should visit the paperwork forum to get more information on this topic.

Note that some TEFL schools in Thailand can get you a non-B, which will give you 1 year to get a work permit. There may be some advantages to doing the course in Thailand, because you will get classroom instruction aimed at teaching English in a Thai school, and you might get some job leads.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

If you are targeting Thailand as your teaching location, definitely take a good TEFL class in Thailand. There's one in Chiang Mai who sponsors this thread which I highly recommend. The class is fairly priced and they will provide visa help also.

No matter where you study TEFL, you get out of it what you put into it. If you want just a paper, then don't bother taking a class. If you want to be prepared for what is facing you, put the time and effort in to take advantage of the expertise being offered to you.

Regards