How To Stay In Thailand For Several Years, Without Working

No need to get married !

If you budget 100k a year for all visa issues, including flying back to the UK to get a replacement non imm visa, then you will be ok. It is actually 15 months and that figure is good to include your border runs ech 90 days and the flight to the UK.

At a tight push, you can Singapore Airlines it to LHR, get to Hull, pick up your visa and be back on the plane that night ! Such a trip is also possible flying into Manchester as well. I would not advise it and would stay overnight as you will want a shower etc. but it is possible.

Another way is to go to Cambodia (or somewher else cheap) and have your passport make the trip for you by Fed Ex. Returned to you in Cambodia, you would re-enter Thailand on a new non imm visa. Takes around a week to ten days and needs a friend in the UK but is significantly cheaper (Fed Ex 2*£50, UK postal 2*£5, Hotel in Cambodia (10*£10), Visa £100) at around £300 plus your spending money (offset by what you would spend in Thailand anyway).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another way is to go to Cambodia (or somewher else cheap) and have your passport make the trip for you by Fed Ex. Returned to you in Cambodia, you would re-enter Thailand on a new non imm visa. Takes around a week to ten days and needs a friend in the UK but is significantly cheaper (Fed Ex 2*£50, UK postal 2*£5, Hotel in Cambodia (10*£10), Visa £100) at around £300 plus your spending money (offset by what you would spend in Thailand anyway).

Legally you MUST have possession of your passport when you are in a host country - so this (I believe) is illegal and (nor forgetting) very risky. I would not recommend this route.

hey , can i ask , where do you go to prefer for border runs? and which is accepatable by immigrtn ofc. i am from india and if i opt for wht you are doing what will be the cheapest way to do border runs with less time?

I'm not sure what you mean by border runs which are acceptable by immigration :) - A border run is a border run is a border run.

I live in Pattaya - so the closest for me are Poipet or Aranya Prathet (Cambodia). About a 6 hrs round trip by Mini-Van cost 2000 baht inclusive of transportation, Cambodian Visa, and buffet Lunch.

thanks a lot. and wht is a cost of a combodian visa?

I'm not sure (1000 baht maybe??)... I always use a Visa Run company who takes care of everything for a total of 2000 baht (all inclusive as mentioned above).

thanks again. i think this is the best way one can opt for stay in thaialand for long time with less hassles.

may be in future if i need i can ask you for the Visa Company which is helping you in this matter.

many many thanks for your replies

happy new year

Legally you MUST have possession of your passport when you are in a host country - so this (I believe) is illegal and (nor forgetting) very risky. I would not recommend this route.

Perhaps true for many countries but it is not a breach of Thai immigration laws. In addition, the OP could obtain a second passport from his home country and leave Thailand on one passport and enter Cambodia (or any other country) on his second passport.

Second passports are routinely issued to people who have to send their passports away for visas whilst needing to travel in the interim period.

Ahh, a true international passport possession law pundit if there ever was one.. :D

Unless I am mistaken (when I’m sure the experts will correct me) I believe, the only thing thai law states is; you cannot be in thailand while trying to acquire any type of visa FOR thailand at a consulate or embassy (for the mentally challenged; as there are NO thai consulates or embassies IN thailand, obviously I mean the ones outside the country).

Please note; I am making NO distinction between the letter of the law or the spirit of said laws. Last time I checked laws are interpreted by their wording, not necessarily what one wants to read into it in spirit. People who shout, "it's not in the spirit of the law" have no ground to stand on while grandstanding or drum beating. :)

I ask the poster known as 'whatchamacallit'; do you ALWAYS carry your passport while in thailand? I know very few people IF any who carry their passport here, although it might actually be the stated regulation for foreigners. Many times in many countries; if you don't run amok, a copy of your passport will suffice.

There is NOTHING mentioned in the thai visa rules about someone winging their way to a country that is not thailand and FedEx'ing their passport to yet a different country to secure a valid thai visa. That would fall under the rules of what ever country you're in concerning possession of your passport while in that country. It has abso-tively, posi-lutely nothing to do with thailand whatsoever.

All too many people have spent a week in the Philippines while their passport made its way to Hull or another 'user friendly" consulate/embassy, where they secured a year long Multi-entry Non-O visa for thailand to "visit friends". They then received their passports back in the Philippines, and subsequently entered thailand on that 100% VALID visa. Of course when dealing with Hull, passports must be postmarked from inside the UK, (so knowing someone actually in the UK is a critical part of the equation).

I believe it breaks no known thai law, rule, or regulation; You just can't be inside the country if you go this route to secure a visa. This is typically where people run amok, but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (as I am sure you will :D ).

For many people it's nowdays easy to get a second passport.

So use the 1st one to fly from Thailand to Malaysia or Cambodia;

Fedex the second one to a friend in Europe who will get a non-O at Hull, Stutgard, Amsterdam,... for "visiting friend";

Wait this second passport to come back and use it with your new non-O visa to enter Thailand.

Very simple, legal, and a lot cheaper than any ED visa.

Very simple, legal, and a lot cheaper than any ED visa. ... from The royal Thai Consulate, Hull -- VISA APPLICATION FORM

Date of departure from UK: ___________

I hereby certify that the information given in this form is correct

So, at least as far as Hull goes, almost legal.

Date of departure from UK / Date of arrival in Thailand: Both dates are important, even if only approximate.

This information is for people from UK only. If you ask Hull for a visa from another country,

they tell you to put the date you fly towards Thailand and the expected length of the stay. That's all.

This information is for people from UK only. So what you are saying is the The (Honorary) Royal Thai Consulate, Hull, is issuing non-Imm Visas to non-UK citizen persons that they know, regardless of UK mailing address, are not located physically in the UK on a valid UK Visa at the time of visa issuance. Great. I am sure the Honorable Mr. Alan Taylor will appreciate your posting this... or even that they are knowingly issuing non-Imm Visas to UK citizens when such citizens are not, regardless of mailing address, resident on a valid entry in the UK.

Edited by jazzbo

For the OP's consideration just in case money and time is a factor in trying to decide between ED and Non-O Multi visas.

I've been staying here for the past 3 years on Non-O with multi entries - doing visa runs every 90 days.

Below is a breakdown of my cost to stay here in Thailand for up to 15 months each time I renew my Non-O Visa:

My last Visa Trip from Bangkok to Perth.

Bangkok to KL round trip with Air Asia.......... 5,600 baht

KL to Perth round trip with Air Asia............... 6,500 baht

2 nights at Travellodge Perth...................... 3,900 baht (Actually I stayed at Crowne Plaza which is more expensive)

4 times visa runs @ 2000 baht.................... 8,000 baht

===========

Total 24,000 baht

Of course the above total cost of 24,000 baht may vary depending on airlines and hotel, etc.

The visa frees me up as I don't have to attend school, although if I want to I can. At this time in my life I don't want the responsibility of having to be any place 3 days a week every week. Therefore this Non-O visa suits my lifestyle much better.

Ooops... don't forget the Cost of the Visa itself charged by the Thai Consulate: $175 USD (?)

only 900 baht more to fly from kl to perth as it was from kl to bangkok why is this??? as i thought the airport tax was around the same and also its alot more to fly bkk to krabi with airasia than internal in malaysia????

Hi all,

Thanks for useful advice! 

It seems that for me, the best option to begin with is to get a one year Non-O with multi entry. I live in Norway, so Hull could be an option. Could anyone list all the places in Europe where this kind of Visa can be obtained, and the relevant websites? Could someone explain the procedure a little more in detail?

As for getting married and thus obtaining an Non Immigrant type O, one year visa, my girlfriend was hesitant about that. As that would be visible in all public records and thus difficult for her to “hide it” from her family, who would not understand it. Otherwise, that seems to be a good option. I could easily place 40 000 baht in a bankaccount, and I understand that this could suffice. But what are the other requirements to be met, for that kind of visa? I could not really find sufficient information about this on thaivisa.com …

I was also considering a press visa, on the basis that I write for some Norwegian magazines (more or less on a freelance basis). The editor of the magazine which I am writing for the most, could possibly write a letter documenting that I write for them. But from the description on thaivisa.com , it seems it is quite hard to obtain this kind of visa and that they require far more than what I could present.

Hi all,

Thanks for useful advice! 

It seems that for me, the best option to begin with is to get a one year Non-O with multi entry. I live in Norway, so Hull could be an option. Could anyone list all the places in Europe where this kind of Visa can be obtained, and the relevant websites? Could someone explain the procedure a little more in detail?

As for getting married and thus obtaining an Non Immigrant type O, one year visa, my girlfriend was hesitant about that. As that would be visible in all public records and thus difficult for her to “hide it” from her family, who would not understand it. Otherwise, that seems to be a good option. I could easily place 40 000 baht in a bankaccount, and I understand that this could suffice. But what are the other requirements to be met, for that kind of visa? I could not really find sufficient information about this on thaivisa.com …

I was also considering a press visa, on the basis that I write for some Norwegian magazines (more or less on a freelance basis). The editor of the magazine which I am writing for the most, could possibly write a letter documenting that I write for them. But from the description on thaivisa.com , it seems it is quite hard to obtain this kind of visa and that they require far more than what I could present.

Totally forget the marriage nonsense. dragging her into your visa problem is not the way to go. Unfair as well.

Firstly, you need to see whether you cannot get a multiple entry non immigrant "O" visa from Norway. If you can, problem solved. If you cannot, you will have to go in person to Hull and the Royal Thai Consulate. Then you are good for 15 months. At the end of this 15 month period, repeat or take another option.

Re: UC Irvine: I already answered that question; If in USA or Thailand a PhD candidate is expected to make new and valuable contribution to one's discipline within 5 years , what is expected of a student at a private language school on ED visa after a similar 5-year amount of study? If you studied Thai language for 5 years at a public Thai University you might be expected to be able to translate government documents or classic Thai literature; not just order lunch. ... or as on one school's curricula, how many years to Advanced Level II and how many students actually will ever get that far?

This information is for people from UK only. So what you are saying is the The (Honorary) Royal Thai Consulate, Hull, is issuing non-Imm Visas to non-UK citizen persons that they know, regardless of UK mailing address, are not located physically in the UK on a valid UK Visa at the time of visa issuance. Great. I am sure the Honorable Mr. Alan Taylor will appreciate your posting this... or even that they are knowingly issuing non-Imm Visas to UK citizens when such citizens are not, regardless of mailing address, resident on a valid entry in the UK.

With the above I'll say it again that it is illegal and very risky. Especially to those of us who can't or don't have two passports. Should an emergency happened while your passport was being sent away - you're in big trouble.

As that would be visible in all public records and thus difficult for her to “hide it” from her family, who would not understand it.

Obviously I do not understand her family situation but I can say it would not be a problem for most Thai. Marriage to foreigners in extremely common and accepted. 30 years ago there may have been validity in such a statement but do not believe it fits many today.

For the OP's consideration just in case money and time is a factor in trying to decide between ED and Non-O Multi visas.

I've been staying here for the past 3 years on Non-O with multi entries - doing visa runs every 90 days.

Below is a breakdown of my cost to stay here in Thailand for up to 15 months each time I renew my Non-O Visa:

2 nights at Travellodge Perth...................... 3,900 baht (Actually I stayed at Crowne Plaza which is more expensive)

===========

Total 24,000 baht

Of course the above total cost of 24,000 baht may vary depending on airlines and hotel, etc.

The visa frees me up as I don't have to attend school, although if I want to I can. At this time in my life I don't want the responsibility of having to be any place 3 days a week every week. Therefore this Non-O visa suits my lifestyle much better.

Ooops... don't forget the Cost of the Visa itself charged by the Thai Consulate: $175 USD (?)

sorry to take a new thread in the OP topic but after seeing the reply to his queries from the members , i felt that the people reading and replying are really have a good knowledge about visa.

could anyone just tell me , to get a extension on NON-O marriage visa , what is the requirement...... 400 K in bank for 2-3 months before applying or 40 K / month salary or Both. i heard that for the new applicants it requires to meet both the conditions?

awaiting reply ..

it is 400,000 in the bank for 2 months OR 40,000 a month.

I'm just wondering could you,

get a non o visa based on visiting friends from Hull/Perth or other friendly consulates and during your 15 month stay marry your thai spouse.

Then go say to Kuala Lumpur and get another non o visa based on marriage without the need to show funds in a thai bank account and do visa runs every 90 days and just do this for the next 15months,then repeat again?I thought you could get a non o visa for visiting your wife from any consulate,just wondering if this would be ok to those who know all about visas

KL will currently ask to see a bank account with 100k or more in it to issue such a multi entry visa. But yes you can do that if the Consulate you visit will issue the visa.

Cheers lopburi3,would that need to be a thai bank account or just a proof of funds in any account or even just cash or travellers cheques?

KL will currently ask to see a bank account with 100k or more in it to issue such a multi entry visa. But yes you can do that if the Consulate you visit will issue the visa.

Cheers lopburi3,would that need to be a thai bank account or just a proof of funds in any account or even just cash or travellers cheques?

No fixed rule AFAIK. But suspect they would like to see a Thai account as that proves to them you have the funds in-country to stay longer than a single entry visa would allow. Many exceptions have been made however.

Relevant to the OP, I am currently on my second consecutive multiple entry 'O' visa obtained from Perth. Can any advise if there is a limit to the number of consecutive 'O' visa's that can be granted. I have a thai girl friend of 2 years and although the relationship is good we don't want to get married at the moment.

First visa was obtained in Perth, my GF was with me with her passport, on the second occcasion I just had her passport with me while she remained in Thailand. The lady at the Thai consulate indicated I only need a copy of her passport with her signature on it. Unfortunately I didn't ask her if I could get a third 'O' visa and more.

thanks

I have a Non-Imm igrant O multiple entry visa. Normally I go back to the UK every 2 months so no need for border runs. However next time I might need to stay longer than 3 months, so would appreciate advice on the cost of a border run to Cambodia or Laos - i.e. what are the costs of acquiring the relevant Cambodia or Laos visa and are there any re-entry costs coming back into Thailand.

I can work out my own travel costs - minimal given that I live within 2 hours of both borders.

Finally, do I have to stay in Cambodia or Laos for 2 days or can it be done on a day trip?

Edited by SantiSuk

===========

Total 24,000 baht

only 900 baht more to fly from kl to perth as it was from kl to bangkok why is this??? as i thought the airport tax was around the same and also its alot more to fly bkk to krabi with airasia than internal in malaysia????

The round trip flight from KL to Perth ONLY 6,500 baht ???? This must be a big mistake ! if you would say 6,500 Malaysian Ringit i can agree ! i just checked on the AirAsia website.....

I have a Non-Imm igrant O multiple entry visa. Normally I go back to the UK every 2 months so no need for border runs. However next time I might need to stay longer than 3 months, so would appreciate advice on the cost of a border run to Cambodia or Laos - i.e. what are the costs of acquiring the relevant Cambodia or Laos visa and are there any re-entry costs coming back into Thailand.

I can work out my own travel costs - minimal given that I live within 2 hours of both borders.

Finally, do I have to stay in Cambodia or Laos for 2 days or can it be done on a day trip?

You will need a visa for the other country at about 1,000 baht (varies by currency and for Laos/nationality). You can immediately return but they might want an extra 100 baht or so fee.