Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family

webfact

About 2 years ago, (as part of my TPV work), I was asked to design a poster to be afixed to lamp-posts in Bangla Road, and which warned tourists of the most common-sense points to bear in mind, such as do not drink and drive, wear a motorcycle helmet, don't deal in drugs etc etc.

It also included a warning about checking tuk-tuk fares before using them, and checking on jet-ski condition before renting them etc etc.

As I was fixing said posters to the lamp-posts (in TPV uniform), I was accosted by the local Tessabahn guys who were not at all happy at some of the content of the posters. It was only after a call from the Thai police supervisor that they agreed to let me erect these posters.

But I was warned 'do not put these posters on Beach Road, or anywhere else outside of Bangla Road' (ie, the locations where the tuk-tuks and jet-skis are!).

Simon

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been 4 years since I used a tuktuk because of my last use of one. It was in a monsoon and we got to my apartment and the fare was something like 280 baht. I didn't have the fare in small money so gave the driver 500 baht and was waiting at the passenger window in the rain waiting for him to give me change.

He told me he didn't have change...yeah right...and made some searching moves around the cab like he was looking for money but kept saying he didn't have change. Meanwhile I was getting soaked. So supposedly neither of us had change. Then he leaned across and opened the glove box on the passenger side so right by me and I saw a gun in there! I got the feeling he wanted me to see it!

So I just told him to keep the money and went into my apartment. Never used a tuktuk since.

Edited by phuketrex

Been 4 years since I used a tuktuk because of my last use of one. It was in a monsoon and we got to my apartment and the fare was something like 280 baht. I didn't have the fare in small money so gave the driver 500 baht and was waiting at the passenger window in the rain waiting for him to give me change.

He told me he didn't have change...yeah right...and made some searching moves around the cab like he was looking for money but kept saying he didn't have change. Meanwhile I was getting soaked. So supposedly neither of us had change. Then he leaned across and opened the glove box on the passenger side so right by me and I saw a gun in there! I got the feeling he wanted me to see it!

So I just told him to keep the money and went into my apartment. Never used a tuktuk since.

I'm sure that was his purpose.

These scams need to be published more widely as warnings to expats and tourists alike

As one poster said these stories are not in the handbooks. They should be.

It really is time that the Governor stepped in and did something about the Tuk Tuks. They are becoming a major source of trouble and need curtailing.

Vote me in as Governor and I'll do it! :D

I think they beat foreigners because they love us. Who wants to visit some place where you are not beaten on the whims of the local mafia thugs. Tough love :)

Why should they change? Thailand scores 14 to 15 million tourists annually and has this (deserved?) reputation as the Land of Smiles, etc, and tourists keep flocking in so its business as usual.

In the short term, they can abuse tourists/foreigners at will but longer term, the chickens will come home to roost...

Pretty disgraceful really. If an elderly Thai parked in my space in the US, I would not dream of attacking him, even if he were agressive and offensive. If I had a disagreement with a Thai in the US, I doubt that 20+ of my fellow americans would join in and beat the poor guy senseless.

Amazing really that this type of behaviour goes on, but to disagree with any thing Thai is "making a problem."

Guess I don't understand Thai culture.

Giving the benefit of doubt, maybe the thai guy was mentally ill, but at the end of the day there has to be some accountability and that just doesn't happen here.

Is Abhisit man enough to take them on.

If Abhisit were a man he wouldn't have seeked to be a puppet PM.

I really meant was he in a strong enough position to act. My post was badly worded, sorry.

A bit like in the UK, difficut to govern when there was a small majority. Hands are rather tied. I think hands are tied here too but for different reasons.

17 pages with the scribblings of justifiably angry ex-pats and visitors already. All hot air, or rather, a waste of electrons so far. I ask everybody who has taken on board this incident, and the reaction to it, to take the trouble to copy the URN of this thread into an e-mail and send it to the editor of every newspaper, every TV news organisation and their local political representative in their country of origin . Dreamers might also include their national associations of travel agents too.

Yes I agree, intimidation can be very real, but equally it's in the mind of the beholder, often what is intimidation to one person is nothing more than a casual and everyday encounter to another. The more interesting aspect though is what is fair and reasonable behaviour an that to me seems to be the issue at the heart of much of this debate.

Let me perfectly clear in that I do not condone in any way the behaviour of the tuk tuk driver mentioned in the OP, it was absolutely deplorable. But what sort of behaviour should we reasonable aspect from locals in Phuket whilst on vacation. Well, we might hope that everyone is civilised and behave well and that all have a good time and that the locals make an adequate income - if you're Jingthing you might also think that matters should be improved to include a public transportation facility that allows all tourists inexpensive and unfettered transport around the island.

But stop, can we please all remember where we are, this Thailand in the year 2010 (almost), a country that ten years ago was indeed regarded as a third world country, a country where today over 90% of the population earn less than Baht 400 per day, a country that today does not have a suitably functioning law enforcement agency, a country where corruption is rife at all levels, and so on - none of these facts are secret or unknown, the point being that if tourists don't understand these things before they arrive then they have no right to compare the social circumstances in Thailand with those in their home country, after the fact.

What sort of drugs are you on ??,

hey come to Thailand, its a third world country and if you get the shit kicked out of you, then its your own fault for not understanding the local culture??, get real pal, Thailand is pushing itself as a tourist friendly exotic location, and this type of behaiviour is totally unacceptable. Tourists come here because it is promoted as a safe location, no-one is going to tell them that the local mafia is to be avoided and they shoul be thankful that they can come to a third world country and have a good time, unless they piss off the local mafia and get beaten up.

Yes we all know about the low wages etc etc, but that does not excuse attacks on people, particularly as this is a "so-called" buddhist country where non-confrontation is the norm.

I have lived here for 31 years and your shallow acceptance of violence tells me that you still have a lot to learn.

Crestor for my cholesterol and Plavix which is an anticoagulant, thanks you for asking. But now perhaps you can tell me where you see my acceptance of violence in anything I have posted in this thread - simply I do not accept it I avoid it through my own behaviour and if visitors are aware that it exists here then perhaps they might begin to do the same rather than blindly believing all the marketing literature about the land of smiles and happy people.

Hi All.

I think that all tourist's in Thailand are here mainly because of the advertising put out by theThai Tourist authority, and as such are guest's of the Thai Gov,,,Come to Thailand bring loads of money to spend, bring all your family , we will look after you in our fabulous hotels,you can enjoy the Sunshine all day long on our fabulous beache's, Never a mention about the police and tuk tuk mafia,As a result we have too many cases of violence commited against Tourist's by these joint organiseation's,,get into a Tuk tuk and pay what the driver demands or get beat up ,,,some choice eh.

Of course nothing will be done in this case they will never find the scumbag who wrecked this French family's holiday. It is time that the minister of tourism and the whole Government came down hard on all these people start with the Governor of Phuket, then the police chief and then the rank and file policemen who NEVER do their job, This is what the PM should do.

but you can bet with certainty that nothing will be done.

phupaman

The best way you have of getting anything done is to contact the local Ambassador of your respective countries and put pressure on him to make the Thai PM aware of what is going on.

Get real.

The local ambassadors are in Bangkok and rarely go to Phuket, unless it's to collect bodies. Do you suffer from short term memory loss? Do you remember when the German ambassador came to see the Phuket governor and was rudely treated? What exactly do you expect these ambassadors to do on behalf of nationals that have voluntarily chosen to visit Thailand despite very explicit warnings on most foreign (western) foreign affairs websites? The Royal Thai Government expresses regret, wrings its hands and says, we feel your pain. After that it is business as usual. The only leverage the government, any government understands is economic sanctions and I don't see any foreign government imposing sanctions over the tuk tuks.

Following the murder of Australian nationals in Indonesia, the Australian government was powerless to do anything. Sure it could send strongly worded protests, but it wasn't going to invade Indonesia and kick some ass was it? What the Australian people could and did do as a nation was to avoid Bali. The Indonesians got the message and eventually acted. Today, because of Australian consumer actions, Bali is a safer destination. It's been said multiple times in this thread, until economic pain is felt, there will be little incentive for change. Major tour groups have to cancel bookings. Tourists have to go elsewhere and make sure the government knows as was the case in Bali.

I walked on Patong beach this morning and there were plenty of tourists frolicing in the filthy water oblivious to the dangers. And to follow up on my earlier post did see 6 jetskis in use, 3 of which were operated by beach boys. People are avoiding the jetskis this year compared to last year. Consumer action as a result of public information dissemination.

UPDATE

Phuket tuk-tuk driver goes into hiding after assault on tourists

KARON, PHUKET: The tuk-tuk driver wanted in connection with the savage beating of French tourists in Kata last Saturday has gone into hiding, the Gazette has learned.

“Now, the suspect has run away. He is not at his house and didn’t show up at the tuk-tuk parking area as normal,” Chalong Police Investigator Chana Sutthimaat told the Gazette today.

The suspect, whose name is known to police, was issued a summons to come in for questioning after the victims filed a complaint with Chalong Police on Tuesday afternoon.

The family allege the man attacked them with a heavy metal shaft of the type used to support a large beach umbrella in high winds.

The attack followed an argument over a public parking spot that the attacker claimed was reserved for use by tuk-tuks, even though there were no municipal or other signs or markings to designate the space as such.

When contacted about the tuk-tuk situation in Karon today, Mayor Tawee Tongcham said he was aware of the latest incident.

“Initially, I asked the group of drivers there how such a thing could happen. One who witnessed the beating told me the attacker appeared to suffer from minor mental problems. In any case, I need to speak to both parties involved before making a decision about who was wrong and who was right,” he said.

“As for measure to avoid this sort of fighting, I will hold a meeting after New Year's Day to strictly delineate which areas are reserved for tuk-tuks and taxis and which are open for tourists to park their cars,” he said.

This latest violent incident has spurred a deluge of comments on the Gazette readers forum and has prompted an Internet petition urging the province to ban tuk-tuks altogether and establish a reasonably-priced public transport system.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009/12/31

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The best way you have of getting anything done is to contact the local Ambassador of your respective countries and put pressure on him to make the Thai PM aware of what is going on.

Get real.

The local ambassadors are in Bangkok and rarely go to Phuket, unless it's to collect bodies. Do you suffer from short term memory loss? Do you remember when the German ambassador came to see the Phuket governor and was rudely treated? What exactly do you expect these ambassadors to do on behalf of nationals that have voluntarily chosen to visit Thailand despite very explicit warnings on most foreign (western) foreign affairs websites? The Royal Thai Government expresses regret, wrings its hands and says, we feel your pain. After that it is business as usual. The only leverage the government, any government understands is economic sanctions and I don't see any foreign government imposing sanctions over the tuk tuks.

Following the murder of Australian nationals in Indonesia, the Australian government was powerless to do anything. Sure it could send strongly worded protests, but it wasn't going to invade Indonesia and kick some ass was it? What the Australian people could and did do as a nation was to avoid Bali. The Indonesians got the message and eventually acted. Today, because of Australian consumer actions, Bali is a safer destination. It's been said multiple times in this thread, until economic pain is felt, there will be little incentive for change. Major tour groups have to cancel bookings. Tourists have to go elsewhere and make sure the government knows as was the case in Bali.

I walked on Patong beach this morning and there were plenty of tourists frolicing in the filthy water oblivious to the dangers. And to follow up on my earlier post did see 6 jetskis in use, 3 of which were operated by beach boys. People are avoiding the jetskis this year compared to last year. Consumer action as a result of public information dissemination.

GO TO A DIFFERENT COUNTRY FOR HOLIDAY IT SO SIMPLE, THEY WILL SOON GET THE IDEA (MAYBE)

When contacted about the tuk-tuk situation in Karon today, Mayor Tawee Tongcham said he was aware of the latest incident.

I need to speak to both parties involved before making a decision about who was wrong and who was right,” he said.

wrong or right? How could it be in any kind of form RIGHT to hit an over 60 year old tourist so hard with an IRON BAR to brake his arm?

Hope they catch the man who attacked these Tourists.

Having said that though, It is like Parking the Car on a Motorcycle Taxi Rank - There are no signs telling us not to, we just use our common sense really and not park there to avoid this type of trouble.

The tourists on holiday should have moved on really to avoid this, afterall, they are visitors in this Country.

That is what I think anyway.

So as 'visitor' in this country, i have to 'follow orders' from every Thai?

C'mon!

No just follow the laws, rules and traditions and you will be fine, enjoy your holiday

The french family was not disobeying any rules, laws or contradicting any thai traditions. So how does your advice help anyone?

I need to speak to both parties involved before making a decision about who was wrong and who was right,” he said.

wrong or right? How could it be in any kind of form RIGHT to hit an over 60 year old tourist so hard with an IRON BAR to brake his arm?

OMG, that is really shocking! Even if the tuk loon was in his legal rights to try to stop the parking there, what difference would that make as far as a violent assault. Does that official realize what he said? He is maybe JUSTIFYING this violence.

I did actually ride down the beach road this afternoon with my camera taped on the bike and have a video....sad eh!!! I have tried to upload it on Youtube but the internet connection here is <deleted> and gets interrupted halfway through uploading every time I try. If in Japan it would have uploaded in a couple of minutes!

What was interesting was I passed a tuktuk carrying 9 people in the back!...2 were very small kids though. Made me think about that comment from a tuktuk driver who claimed if they had to take more than 4 people from the Centara Resort in Karon then they would have to use 2 tuktuks and so cost a group double. Whereas I have on video now a tuktuk with 9 customers in it! So bleating that they can't take more than 4 people isn't doing them any favours.

By the way there were 67 tuktuks parked up between the Holiday Inn and Bangla Road...at 3pm.

Get real.

Oh yes the jet skis. Just who was it that kicked the Thai government into actually doing something about them? Foreign Ambassadors on behalf of their governments that's who.

Oh yes the jet skis. Just who was it that kicked the Thai government into actually doing something about them? Foreign Ambassadors on behalf of their governments that's who.

:):D

The turning point was sexy JJ and his dramatic television performance for Big Trouble in Thailand. t took the public shaming of the practice for all to see. It it hadn't been for the Bravo show, nothing would have happened.Same thing needs to be done with the tuk tuks. The rip off of tourists is not a concern for any foreign mission. Do you honestly think any ambassador gives a sh*t?

Welcome to the land of smiles. I haven't been to Thailand since 2003 and the more I read about the goings on there the less I EVER want to go back. There are no government agencies that regulate publicly risky situations, witness a power line recently falling into a resort pool. For foreigners a lower cost of living is not offset by a host of health and safety issues. Add to that the Thai authorities displeasure in allowing foreigners to stay in Thailand, even if married to a Thai, and the disadvantages soon outweigh the benefits.

Can anyone say anything positive about any tuk-tuk anywhere in Thailand?

Sure, in Chiang Mai they are not so bad. They are polite, helpful, honest and know their way around the city.

I would agree with that. the several times I have been to Chiang Mai I have always had consistently good service from the Tuk Tuk drivers there.

:):D

The turning point was sexy JJ and his dramatic television performance for Big Trouble in Thailand. t took the public shaming of the practice for all to see. It it hadn't been for the Bravo show, nothing would have happened.Same thing needs to be done with the tuk tuks. The rip off of tourists is not a concern for any foreign mission. Do you honestly think any ambassador gives a sh*t?

more videos of "incidents" that make it to the net or media would really make a difference.

even a few of tourists being hit up for bogus bribes and so on would shame a few ( just don't get noticed doing it)