Harvesting Patterns

AjarnP

Hi folks,

I have been searching Google for some information on patterns of harvesting with a combine harvester for optimum efficiency. Seems to me that the way it is done now is rather hit and miss and a lot of fuel and time is wasted covering 'empty' ground that has already been covered on a previous pass.

So far I have not been able to turn up anyting worth reading.

If anyone here could point me in the right direction (pun intended) I would be more than grateful.

AjarnP

In the real world the combine is run around the planted field in a contour that follows the crop planting. (square,circular, rectangle, etc. Due to turning radius the corners are left as you progress with the cutting, to be cut out at the finish. Turning radius and corners left will normally be 2 widths of the header, thus up and back on each will pick up the standing crop. Here the combines seem to cut around, back up, etc, the individual paddy as running over the irrigation ditch is deemed too rough or what ever. One quick solution to this may be to cut the irrigation channel shallow with a more rounded bank to facilitate the combine going over it, head on. Hope this will give you some ideas.