My Cycling Year

mr_hippo

2009 is over so how was it? I think it was in November 2008 that I decided to increase my mileage – what’s the point of just doing about 30kms and getting back by about 8am? The actual average for 2008 was 29.04kms per ride. I finished 2008 on 4385.34 kms and that was due to a late start – March 2nd 2008, after 91 days of agony with shingles!

The first thing was to set a target for 2009. The problem with setting targets is that if it is too low, it easily achieved but too high and there’s disappointment when you don’t get there! Let’s not get too ambitious so I set the target at 8000kms

I started the year with 3 bikes, a hard tail mountain bike, a hybrid and a road bike. I decided to sell the mountain bike because I was not using it enough – by April, it had only done about 40 kms this year and I decided to sell it. For most of the year, the Trek 7200 hybrid was my main ride. The road bike (a 1992 NashBar 600R), also called ‘The Hippo Bike’ by Mrs Hippo, had retired more times than Frank Sinatra! I decided to give it a facelift and give it more road time.

The Stats:-

12.942.22 kms ridden

288 days out of 365 on the bike

Average 44.938 kms/ride

Longest ride of the year – 128.27 kms.

Highest speed – 52.06 kph

Eight punctures and six broken spokes – had the Trek 7200 rear wheel rebuilt.

I do not ride if it is raining but was caught out in the rain 8 times – including a memorable 5 hour wait at a gas station just past Fashion Island!

Mrs Hippo always says that I “should cycle for pleasure, not measure!” I do but... on one trip, I checked the bike computer at the front gate and found I had cycled 99.17 kms and could not resist going around the block so I could say that I’ve done 100kms in a day! The only other time when measure came first was last Sunday the 27th. Total mileage for the year was then 12,714.42 – four days to do almost 300kms so I could end the year on 13,000! 28th – 88.96kms, 29th – 69.76kms. Halfway there – 30th, just set off and it started to rain; no problem – back home for a cup of tea and then set off again. One hour later, the heavens opened and that was it! No 13,000 this year but a good try!!!

So I am quite pleased with the year; next year – possibly a new bike, target of 12,000 kms but hoping to exceed this year’s target.

Hello Mr.Hippo! I have a mountainbike,which I modified a bit,so I can carry things with me.Longest tour in one day:170 km.;6 am-6pm.Could you please tell me,what a hybrid bike is?! Perhaps it´s something for me?I like to go on weeklong tours,so I need bikes,that can carry things. By the way,where do you live?

Hello Mr.Hippo! I have a mountainbike,which I modified a bit,so I can carry things with me.Longest tour in one day:170 km.;6 am-6pm.Could you please tell me,what a hybrid bike is?! Perhaps it´s something for me?I like to go on weeklong tours,so I need bikes,that can carry things. By the way,where do you live?

From Wikipedia

"A hybrid bicycle is a bicycle designed for general-purpose utility or commuter cycling on paved and unpaved roads, paths, and trails. Also known under such names as City bike, Cross bike, or Commuter,[1] the hybrid takes design features from both the road bike and mountain bike, with the goal of making a bike for general commuting and transportation.

In general, hybrids use the mountain bike's triple crank, together with the latter's handlebars giving a more upright posture than road bicycles. They also usually use one of the kinds of brakes used on mountain bikes, namely linear pull, or disc. From the road bicycle they take the 700C (larger) wheel diameter for higher speeds, but use a wider rim and tire for increased strength."

7207.jpg

My Trek 7200 hybrid - Specs

I have made a few changes to mine - mudguards (fenders), rear rack (not in photo), 700x32 tyres but the biggest change has been the handlebars. I now have a pair of trekking (or butterfly) bars.

7202.jpg

I found that on long rides that the butterfly bars offer me a few more hand positions and increase comfort.

If your mountain bike is a hard tail (no rear suspension) then I can suggest change tyres to 26"x1.5" road tyres and chainset to something like 48/38/28. Many people go on long tours with that set up.

I live in Lat Phrao, Bangkok

• 1 month later...
Great Stuff Mr. Hippo. Congrats on the KMs racked up. You are way ahead of me for the year.

Chiang Mai s fast becoming the cycling centre of Thailand. We have one group riding from the coffee bar near the Canal Road/Samoeng Road intersection. There are riders, mainly on road bikes, of different abilities. It can be a fast ride or slightly slower. Leaves 8:15 every morning.

Incidentally, my 2009 mileage was +16,000 km. This year I'm up to 2500km. Chiang Mai is just great for cycling.

MANY thanks to you,Mr Hippo,for the good information and the fotos!!! Sure does look like something that can be useful to me,and I will start looking for one!

Why would you do that?

An adjusted mountain bike is just perfect for Thailand.

When you switch to 700 cc rims you are looking for trouble.

Every single village in Thailand (south east asia) has at least something you can use if you have a problem with your 26 " wheels. Try to find something for your 700 cc or 28 ". Innertubes, spokes, new rims, tires etc even in Chiang Mai you need to visit 5 different shops to find your stuff.

MANY thanks to you,Mr Hippo,for the good information and the fotos!!! Sure does look like something that can be useful to me,and I will start looking for one!

Why would you do that?

Every single village in Thailand (south east asia) has at least something you can use if you have a problem with your 26 " wheels. Try to find something for your 700 cc or 28 ". Innertubes, spokes, new rims, tires etc even in Chiang Mai you need to visit 5 different shops to find your stuff.

What is "an adjusted mountain bike" and why "is just perfect for Thailand"?

"...even in Chiang Mai you need to visit 5 different shops to find your stuff." I suppose that your hometown LBS (Local Bike Shop) stocks everything you need!

Inner tubes - do what most of us do - have spares. Both of my bikes carry two spare tubes and a puncture kit and I have three more spares of each size at home.

Spokes - when was the last time that you popped a spoke? My road bike has hand built wheels - 15 years old and covered in excess os 100,000 kms - and are as true today as the day that they were built. My Trek had factory built wheels but after popping a few spokes, both were rebuilt by my LBS in Lat Phrao using S/S double butted spokes for 480 Baht each. Again, buy some spares.

Rims - when was the last time you replaced a rim? Alloy rims - even if pretzel-shaped - can be trued. The same cannot be said of steel rims.

Tyres - you may not be able to get the make/model you like but even your village LBS will be able to order them for you - may take one or two days but you'll get them.

Why would you do that?

"...even in Chiang Mai you need to visit 5 different shops to find your stuff." I suppose that your hometown LBS (Local Bike Shop) stocks everything you need!

Inner tubes - do what most of us do - have spares. Both of my bikes carry two spare tubes and a puncture kit and I have three more spares of each size at home.

Spokes - when was the last time that you popped a spoke? My road bike has hand built wheels - 15 years old and covered in excess os 100,000 kms - and are as true today as the day that they were built. My Trek had factory built wheels but after popping a few spokes, both were rebuilt by my LBS in Lat Phrao using S/S double butted spokes for 480 Baht each. Again, buy some spares.

Rims - when was the last time you replaced a rim? Alloy rims - even if pretzel-shaped - can be trued. The same cannot be said of steel rims.

Tyres - you may not be able to get the make/model you like but even your village LBS will be able to order them for you - may take one or two days but you'll get them.

When you are in CNX give me a call or send me a PM, you are welcome.

Why would you do that?

Leaving aside the issue of getting spare parts, would the road conditions in the CNX region make a road bike with 700x23 tires, solid fork, and drop handlebars non-feasible? I was thinking of visiting there and possibly bringing my bike. But if a skinny-tired road bike won't cut it, then that plan won't work.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I've popped spokes before but it's always been on fairly new or newly rebuilt wheels. It seems to most often be related to incorrect (usually too low) spoke tension.

Why would you do that?

Leaving aside the issue of getting spare parts, would the road conditions in the CNX region make a road bike with 700x23 tires, solid fork, and drop handlebars non-feasible? I was thinking of visiting there and possibly bringing my bike. But if a skinny-tired road bike won't cut it, then that plan won't work.

A road bike as you describe is just fine in CM. That's exactly what I ride. You should have no problem finding plenty of relatively smooth roads with little traffic. There's also little problem finding replacement road parts, like tires, tubes, etc, unless you're looking for esoteric brands.

My Hippo...where are you based??

I am based in Lat Phrao, Bangkok and am normally a soloist - my route, my pace & my stops. I normally have a 20km warm-up run to a PTT gas station just past Fashion Island and sitting there, having a coffee, I decide where I am going. People have asked me and the best answer that I can give is "Ask me when I get back!"

Take today, for example, Sunday morning, light traffic and nice weather. My road bike is off the road awaiting spares so I was on the hybrid. Some of my routes I have designated 'Sundays/holidays only' so I decided on one of these - about 8kms along Hwy 304 is a 7-11, turning right there, ride for about 7kms and right again, it eventually leads to Rom Klao Road and back to Minburi. I've never tried that route on a weekday but as it passes the Inland Container Depot, I assume it will be busy. So it was a nice, pleasant 75km ride.

A road bike as you describe is just fine in CM. That's exactly what I ride. You should have no problem finding plenty of relatively smooth roads with little traffic. There's also little problem finding replacement road parts, like tires, tubes, etc, unless you're looking for esoteric brands.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I don't have anything esoteric, just a mid-priced road bike.

Every now and again I get the idea in my head that maybe I should buy a cyclocross bike (something such as a Trek X01 or a Fuji Cross) so as to be able to handle a bit rougher terrain, but I've never pulled the trigger on it. Main reason not is that the places that I've lived thus far had pretty good roads, so while a more rugged bike sounds useful in theory, I'm not sure how much I would use I would actually have for it.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Congrats, Mr H. Regularity is the thing!

I recently finished a short 1 week tour, Central up NE area, via Loei. Had a fantastic time. I don't know my mileage for the year. I've gone thru 4 cyclo computers and refuse to buy another.

I used to ride my MTB, but I missed the speed on a real road bike so I've been riding that the last few years. IMO, you will get more of a beating on a road bike anywhere in Thailand. The roads here are generally hit and miss. You might get 10km of good road and then 3km or real rotten elbow-grinding washboard semi tarmac.

But, IMHO, the best bike is the one available to you--until your body tells you otherwise.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I don't have anything esoteric, just a mid-priced road bike.

Every now and again I get the idea in my head that maybe I should buy a cyclocross bike (something such as a Trek X01 or a Fuji Cross) so as to be able to handle a bit rougher terrain, but I've never pulled the trigger on it. Main reason not is that the places that I've lived thus far had pretty good roads, so while a more rugged bike sounds useful in theory, I'm not sure how much I would use I would actually have for it.

There are plenty of relatively smooth dirt roads and rough cement roads where a cyclocross bike would be ideal, but all of the fast group rides stick to the smooth, well paved roads. Those back roads may be more scenic too and I'm sure there are plenty of riders who are out there on them. It's all up to you and what you want to do.

I am based in Lat Phrao, Bangkok and am normally a soloist - my route, my pace & my stops. I normally have a 20km warm-up run to a PTT gas station just past Fashion Island and sitting there, having a coffee, I decide where I am going. People have asked me and the best answer that I can give is "Ask me when I get back!"

Take today, for example, Sunday morning, light traffic and nice weather. My road bike is off the road awaiting spares so I was on the hybrid. Some of my routes I have designated 'Sundays/holidays only' so I decided on one of these - about 8kms along Hwy 304 is a 7-11, turning right there, ride for about 7kms and right again, it eventually leads to Rom Klao Road and back to Minburi. I've never tried that route on a weekday but as it passes the Inland Container Depot, I assume it will be busy. So it was a nice, pleasant 75km ride.

...so what is the reason for the blog then? Just to tell everyone what you do on the bike everyday? I don't get it Hippo....

From Wikipedia

"A hybrid bicycle is a bicycle designed for general-purpose utility or commuter cycling on paved and unpaved roads, paths, and trails. Also known under such names as City bike, Cross bike, or Commuter,[1] the hybrid takes design features from both the road bike and mountain bike, with the goal of making a bike for general commuting and transportation.

In general, hybrids use the mountain bike's triple crank, together with the latter's handlebars giving a more upright posture than road bicycles. They also usually use one of the kinds of brakes used on mountain bikes, namely linear pull, or disc. From the road bicycle they take the 700C (larger) wheel diameter for higher speeds, but use a wider rim and tire for increased strength."

7207.jpg

My Trek 7200 hybrid - Specs

I have made a few changes to mine - mudguards (fenders), rear rack (not in photo), 700x32 tyres but the biggest change has been the handlebars. I now have a pair of trekking (or butterfly) bars.

7202.jpg

I found that on long rides that the butterfly bars offer me a few more hand positions and increase comfort.

If your mountain bike is a hard tail (no rear suspension) then I can suggest change tyres to 26"x1.5" road tyres and chainset to something like 48/38/28. Many people go on long tours with that set up.

I live in Lat Phrao, Bangkok

Mein Gott! That's an ugly bike!!!!

I wouldn't say that it's ugly, rather I'd say that it looks practical in a Toyota Prius sort of way.

That bike was set up for one thing - 'lazy day rides' - perfect for pottering around on and also for longer distance rides.

My road bike is now 18 years old and has been set up for a purpose - longer, faster day rides but can be adapted for light touring.

B0939.jpg

I'm in Hua Hin....and looking to get together with some fellow cyclers!

I stay in HH regularly (not now unfortunately :-( ), and ride a roadbike. Regularly ... I'd be happy to ride with you when I'm back again, probably in May or June. Send me a pm if you like.

BTW, I've never had a problem with a roadbike with 700C wheels and 23 mm tires, although it helps to pay attention to roadcondition, potholes, tarmac that suddenly ends, sleeping dogs, etc!

• 5 months later...

I'm in Hua Hin....and looking to get together with some fellow cyclers!

I stay in HH regularly (not now unfortunately :-( ), and ride a roadbike. Regularly ... I'd be happy to ride with you when I'm back again, probably in May or June. Send me a pm if you like.

BTW, I've never had a problem with a roadbike with 700C wheels and 23 mm tires, although it helps to pay attention to roadcondition, potholes, tarmac that suddenly ends, sleeping dogs, etc!

Sorry to intrude but I cycle my Trek 8500 around Hua Hin - is there a group that meets up?

Best regards

Simon