Plug In A Socket

cers

When I put a plug in the sockets in my room, quite a few sockets react with a "mini explosion" (a small noise and a small light). Is this an acceptable situation here in Thailand, maybe due too high humidity, or is this possibly a dangerous situation ?

There are loose wires inside the socket. VERY typical. Get it seen to.

But it happens at different spots in my room, and also the mobile socket (don't know the correct word) reacts with a (very small) explosion, so that would be a lot of loose wires.

But it happens at different spots in my room, and also the mobile socket (don't know the correct word) reacts with a (very small) explosion, so that would be a lot of loose wires.

It is unregulated 220 VAC what else would you expect and your place is probably not grounded, (no third ground pin), which is why that happens

No dangers there, normal

It is unregulated 220 VAC what else would you expect and your place is probably not grounded, (no third ground pin), which is why that happens

No dangers there, normal

Thanks and glad to hear it's nothing dangerous. Still, I am curious to know why I've only encountered this situation here, in a place well maintained, and nowhere else in Thailand ?

Make sure that whatever you are plugging in is "switched off" first.

It is probably an arc as a heavy current load is connected to the bad quality sockets

that are prevalent in Thailand.

Would agree 1000% with your analysis since it's occurring on multiple sockets. As noted, ensure the item is turned off first so it don't draw any current. And if you are plugging in a laptop which is turned off don't be surprised if you still see a spark as the battery is still pulling current/charging through the laptop charger/battery pack even when the computer is turned off.

It is probably an arc as a heavy current load is connected to the bad quality sockets

Thanks, but what is an "arc" ?

Words fail me regarding this reply 'what is an arc'?

So,I'll just say thats it the boat that Noah built !! :)

and was sailed by Joan.

Simple answer is electrical "sparking" between two or more wires or connections. Can happen if the plug is loose in the socket or a wire is loose under the terminating screw or so on.

"arcing" or "sparking" is definitely not a good thing and can lead to a fire if left uncontrolled and not repaired.

True ^^^ LB

Our OP is talking about that rather alarming 'splat' you get when plugging in certain devices, mainly those with switching power supplies and no on-off switch (laptop PSUs, some phone chargers etc.).

Whilst more than somewhat disconcerting that splat, providing it just happens on plugging in, is not a hazard in itself.

The best fix is to plug/unplug only with the power off, unfortunately, switched outlets (which are the norm in the UK) just don't seem to exist here. You can reduce the fear-factor by getting one of those power strips with individual switches for each outlet, and turning off before inserting or removing the plug. The splat still happens but it's now safely hidden inside the switch, additionally, the switch contacts and mechanism is designed to open and close rapidly, minimising the actual arcing that occurs.

Of course, adding a power strip into the equation is a whole new realm of cheap and nasty :)

Noah built an 'ark'

It was made from wood so non conductive so wouldn't arc