Anyone Have Any Experience With The Hutch Network?

Ikky Plush

I noticed a 'Hutch' network shop in a Central in Bangkok. In the UK I used the '3' network for a while. I believe from the logo they are the same company. In the UK you only had 30 days to use or lose your credit (pay-as-you-go). What's the score in Thailand?

I noticed a 'Hutch' network shop in a Central in Bangkok.  In the UK I used the '3' network for a while.  I believe from the logo they are the same company.  In the UK you only had 30 days to use or lose your credit (pay-as-you-go).  What's the score in Thailand?

Ikky

Hutch in the UK and Thailand are the same company owned by Hutchinson of Hong Kong but in the UK their network is GSM and in Thailand it is CDMA which is a different type of system. In Thailand the main problem is that the CDMA network is not nationwide whereas GSM DTAC, AIS are and Orange is trying to get there. CDMA is very good for data and the voice coverage is reasonable but if you buy a CDMA mobile you will not be able to change operators as you could on GSM.

billd766

I noticed a 'Hutch' network shop in a Central in Bangkok.  In the UK I used the '3' network for a while.  I believe from the logo they are the same company.  In the UK you only had 30 days to use or lose your credit (pay-as-you-go).  What's the score in Thailand?

Ikky

Hutch in the UK and Thailand are the same company owned by Hutchinson of Hong Kong but in the UK their network is GSM and in Thailand it is CDMA which is a different type of system. In Thailand the main problem is that the CDMA network is not nationwide whereas GSM DTAC, AIS are and Orange is trying to get there. CDMA is very good for data and the voice coverage is reasonable but if you buy a CDMA mobile you will not be able to change operators as you could on GSM.

billd766

Thanks.

Ikky.