Violence Inevitable If No Amnesty For Ex-premier Thaksin

webfact

Violence inevitable if no amnesty

By The Nation

Published on January 1, 2010

Amnesty for ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra is the only way to prevent political violence, according to General Pallop Pinmanee, a member of the opposition Pheu Thai Party.

Pallop said he was afraid violence would break out by April if the matter were not solved politically very soon. He also warned the military not to even think about staging another coup, as the people "wouldn't put up with it" this time.

"Some people think everything will be over by no later than April, but such a conclusion cannot be reached at this stage. It must be said that whether the issue is over or not will depend on whether both sides are willing to accept each other's terms.

"For our part, the only way out is to grant amnesty to Thaksin. If this is not met by the other party, it [conflict] is not likely to end. And if it doesn't end, I'm afraid things will inevitably turn violent when [red shirts] assemble around February," Pallop said.

Pallop, who was previously close to People's Alliance for Democracy co-leader Chamlong Srimuang, said he was concerned for the country under the leadership of Abhisit Vejjajiva, but negotiation would be a good start.

However, the government appears to have shut the door on such attempts and refused to accept the conditions put forward by Pheu Thai in its offer for national reconciliation, he said.

Pallop added that Thaksin's conviction over the Ratchadaphisek land-purchase deal should not be considered a "criminal act", as he only signed his name to endorse the purchase by his wife.

This, he argued, could not be compared to more serious charges such as rebellion, which he himself faced back in 1981 and for which he was later granted amnesty.

Since a plea for a royal pardon has been forwarded by red-shirt protesters, it is up to the government to speed up the facilitation process, he said.

If the matter is not resolved urgently, Pallop warned that violence was "inevitable".

He added that it would be wrong for the government to think it could deal with the red-shirt protests by invoking the Internal Security Act, as protesters would be unlikely to back down as they did last April.

"This time they won't back off," said Pallop, who also remarked that the recent donning of a military uniform by Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda resembled an incident prior to the September 2006 coup.

This time, however, people would not put up with another coup, the general said.

Asked if he or the red-shirt leaders could contain rangers planning to join red-shirt protests, Pallop said he and his peers would try to do so.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010/1/1

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

will this ever end !

as Sean Moran said, Thaksin should face what he needs to face, instead of going to neigbouring countries and winding thailand up !

next step would be to have a proper election governed by ' Outside Agencies ' to curb corruption ! , IE any MP found to be bribing votes would be thrown out ( but only problem there is they all would ! :) )

'Opportunist' soldier o' fortune/Thaksin proxy-pawn/Puea Thai MP/General Panlop/Pallop, former deputy director of the Internal Security Operations Command, has also said he will LEAD the re-shirts in an ALL-OUT rally "around February"...

COINCIDENTALLY, Mr Thaksin's FINAL court verdict for confiscation of 'his' frozen 76 billion baht (approx 2 BILLION USD) is also to be handed down mid-February... :)

This is becoming more blatant and the ONLY threat of a coup (or rather re-coup of Mr Thaksin's fortunes and a share of the spoils. plus a chance to share even more in a double-up;) is coming from the legions of old Generals dusted off to 'serve and protect' Mr Thaksin (and for the 'privilege' to lick his fading honey-jar;)

All this has NOTHING whatsoever to do with 'helping the poor', or 'democracy', rather simply helping HIMSELF, as always, period.

Choke dee Thailand in 2553 (you're squarely gonna need it, unfortunately/sadly predictably...) :D

It's sad to think that this whole farce would be over if Abhisit would admit that the coup and all of its appointed investigative agencies were wrong, the 1997 constitution was reinstated, amnesty was provided for those involved in the military takeover (with their resignations, of course), and elections were called. Sure, a few generals and elites would have to eat a bit of humble pie, but the people of Thailand would be far happier.

It's sad to think that this whole farce would be over if Abhisit would admit that the coup and all of its appointed investigative agencies were wrong, the 1997 constitution was reinstated, amnesty was provided for those involved in the military takeover (with their resignations, of course), and elections were called. Sure, a few generals and elites would have to eat a bit of humble pie, but the people of Thailand would be far happier.

Nonsense!

Anyway...

สวัสดีปีใหหม่ครับ :)

Let's see if I understand this. Thaksin must be granted this pardon for a crime he committed and for which he never served a day in jail or admitted his guilt, by some illegal plea. And if he doesn't get his pardon, all his ill-gained untaxed profit, and a return to power, he will overthrow the government and rape and pillage, and the armed forces must obey Thaksin....

The military here as in most armed forces around the world, probably have a few who would welcome the opportunity to get a battle field promotion. Doubt if this threat will have them trembling in their boots especially when the potential armament equation is thrown in. " Happiness is a belt fed weapon" and the opportunity to use it has been demonstrated in the past, in several developing/3rd world countries, as well as the so called developed countries. Hope this is just more hot air diarrhea of the mouth.

Nonsense!

Anyway...

This is the SECOND TIME airplane has posted this EXACT word for word post.

Word for word canned propaganda, cut and paste, repeat.

You can tell something is up when the PR proxies come out

and post the canned stuff over and over again.

Next Stumbo will call me a liar and say I should go into politics.

....according to General Pallop Pinmanee, a member of the opposition Pheu Thai Party.

Who is Pallop? Is he an active general (among the thousands of Thai generals)?

Whatever, he's acting like a loaded cannon that's come loose from its housing and is rolling all over the deck of a tattered wooden ship on fire.

First order of business for Abhisit for the new year: Fire Pallop, and any other brass who strut around acting like mini-Napoleons.

In one press conference, he claims to want to override a Justice decision, usurp the protocol for granting pardons,

.....and his threats of Red violence impacting Thailand are hollow - in April, or anytime in the future. The Reds have been periodically issuing such threats since last summer, and nothing has come from them except hot air. If General Pallop has a controlling role in Red maneuverings (along with issuing such threats), then he's treading on thin ice on a creek called Treason.

Let's see if I understand this. Thaksin must be granted this pardon for a crime he committed and for which he never served a day in jail or admitted his guilt, by some illegal plea. And if he doesn't get his pardon, all his ill-gained untaxed profit, and a return to power, he will overthrow the government and rape and pillage, and the armed forces must obey Thaksin....

A bare naked threat of aggression at the integrity of the nation by a general.

One for all, and all for money. Pathetic moral fibre.

The warning against the current army leaders to 'not try a coup' is certainly beyond ludicrous.

Just a tactic to spread confusion, since the current leadership need not do a coup at all.

But if a Re-coup by Thaksin partisans starts, and some are confussed that it might be a

current army leadership one, they might not move fast enough and that might be a decent edge.

It's a threat and a pre-action disinformation balloon.

There are no rules, only tactics.

Another thread!

"If I can't have it my way, no one should!"

What would be the sentence holding an entire country for ransom, for a couple of years

and stirring up trouble?

I agree! So how much time are you thinking the yellow shirts should be doing?

I don't know if violence is inevitable, but the country will basically remain like a police state and Abhisit will be the Prime Minister of Bangkok with a few unannounced lightening strikes to other provinces.

I don't know if violence is inevitable

Veera provides a clue

Mass Red Shirt rally ends

gallery_327_1086_11514.jpg

Another key Red Shirt leader, Veera Musikapong, said

The next rally would be 'Do or Die'

Didn't he say this before the Sept 19th rally too?

But the money clock is ticking like the alarm in the crocodile's belly in Peter Pan

So 'Captain Hook' Thaksin is looking over his shoulder a lot lately. tick tock tick...

I don't wanna grow up, and learn a stupid rule,

recite a lot of facts, and join the group drool.

If growing up means I can't do,

what I want, and stage a coup.

I'll never grow up, never grow up,

never grow uh-up, NOT ME!

Edited by animatic

In this plea for pardon there is an interesting twist in it!

If the redshirt punks, his fans and entourage submitted this plea - don't they admit some guilt with it?

Isn't "guilty" the base for a pardon?

The more threads, the more he makes himself guilty, if he isn' why nobody bothers to prove so?

The international press would be over it like hyena, that for sure!

So why not?

Simple is the answer, the writing is all over the wall! :)

I agree... no election means no peace - I find very few supporters of the government up here - primarily because no one voted for them and the people feel cheated (although I find Abhsit very articulate). You gotta let the people decide - and that may mean Thaksin would be back (if he gets a pardon) - everone keeps telling me things were better under him... true or not that is the perception

But it would be very bad for the future if you can do any crime as long as you are powerful enough.

As well if Thaksin would get power enough, how would be the revenge? Alone in the war against drugs he murdered 3000 people. How much would it be now?

people lets all remember this is thailand

a. Thailand = short term of stability = 12 months or less

b. Corruption = very fabric of society as long as people think its ok then this country will always be like it is now

c. Thaksin = a man with a big brain but no balls to face up like a man

d. Violence Inevitable = seriously the violence in the south has never stopped so violence in bangkok wouldn't suprise me

e. This country is the banana republic of thailand because politicans, military, elietest, can't stop acting like circus clowns

what does all this have to do with this post. Simple more thaksin news and the real reality of the country = a total joke and very similiar to a horrible never ending thai tv soap drama

Thaksin no doubt was guilty of much but no serious charges have been made against him and the one that he was found guilty of was frankly rather trivial.If he had been charged with say the drug war offences that would have been a different matter, but he wasn't ( why is another subject).It's quite plausible that the elite's campaign against Thaksin was prompted because he caused or threatened a change in the balance of power in which ordinary people had a greater stake in the country compared with the current domination by an unsavoury bunch of military goons, feudalists and monopoly capitalists.Is Thaksin an admirable role model? No of course not:in many ways he's despicable but he had a better mandate than the corrupt old elite.

If posters loathe and despise Thaksin as if he were dogshit on your shoes ( and I myself consider him to be a turd that walks as a man) to simply ignore the above as a possible scenario of events or dismiss it as a load of crap would (with sincere apologies) strike me as the height of naivete for anybody living in Thailand for any length of time and observing how things are done.

Guilty or innocent, be a man Thaksin, and do the time. That's all I'd ask if Thaksin was the Australian PM in 2006.

These guys are worse than terrorist. They threaten the nation same as Alcadia if they don’t get their ways. I think Thaksin should go to jail for the full term and pay for his mistake with his freedom and money. I would think that is the best way to tech everyone crime don’t pay. There should also be investigation on all his action while in the office.

Thaksin no doubt was guilty of much but no serious charges have been made against him and the one that he was found guilty of was frankly rather trivial.If he had been charged with say the drug war offences that would have been a different matter, but he wasn't ( why is another subject).It's quite plausible that the elite's campaign against Thaksin was prompted because he caused or threatened a change in the balance of power in which ordinary people had a greater stake in the country compared with the current domination by an unsavoury bunch of military goons, feudalists and monopoly capitalists.Is Thaksin an admirable role model? No of course not:in many ways he's despicable but he had a better mandate than the corrupt old elite.

If posters loathe and despise Thaksin as if he were dogshit on your shoes ( and I myself consider him to be a turd that walks as a man) to simply ignore the above as a possible scenario of events or dismiss it as a load of crap would (with sincere apologies) strike me as the height of naivete for anybody living in Thailand for any length of time and observing how things are done.

Buying a mandate is not the same as earning one.

Or acting for all citizens, above and beyond the demographic limits of an alleged mandate.

Edited by animatic

Guilty or innocent, be a man Thaksin, and do the time. That's all I'd ask if Thaksin was the Australian PM in 2006.

These guys are worse than terrorist. They threaten the nation same as Alcadia if they don't get their ways. I think Thaksin should go to jail for the full term and pay for his mistake with his freedom and money. I would think that is the best way to tech everyone crime don't pay. There should also be investigation on all his action while in the office.

If you did that to everyone who took money in Thailand there would only be farangs on the street!

Nonsense!

Anyway...

This is the SECOND TIME airplane has posted this EXACT word for word post.

Word for word canned propaganda, cut and paste, repeat.

You can tell something is up when the PR proxies come out

and post the canned stuff over and over again.

Next Stumbo will call me a liar and say I should go into politics.

Just in case there was any doubt...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3235830

Have a nice flight.

Edited by animatic

Buying a mandate is not the same as earning one.

Or acting for all citizens, above and beyond the demographic limits of an alleged mandate.

If in the first sentence you are saying that Thaksin's mandate wasn't genuine (just vote buying on a massive scale) you have just lost complete credibility.Thaksin was and probably is still the most popular Thai politician, and therein lies the problem.

As to the second sentence you have a point.Thaksin made some despicable comments when PM on "if you aren't with us you're against us" lines with the clear suggestion that state funds would be withheld from unfriendly areas, ie the South.On the other hand bear in mind the Bangkok middle class who generally hate Thaksin have for decades had more than their fair share of resources.