The Dead Horse That Refuses To Die

sriracha john

One of Mr. T's worst ideas:

2,000 new Elite Card users targeted in 2005

Published on Apr 24 , 2005

A provider of the Thailand Elite Card has announced plans to enroll 2,000 new members this year from three specific target markets.

The president of Thailand Privilege Card Co (TPC), Choksiri Rodboonpha, said the company would expand marketing activities as the firm shifts its product focus and customer base.

"The new business concept is different from the past, when we needed a large amount of members. These days we are targeting members by invitation only," he said.

The new marketing strategy will be launched in June.

Choksiri said the three membership categories include Elite Moment, which will focus on Asian customers with an emphasis on golf, shopping and spa treatments.

The second is Elite Connection, aimed at international investors, and the third is Elite Living, which is expected to attract people over 50 who wish to retire in Thailand.

The company expects that Elite Connection members will comprise 50 per cent of its base, followed by Elite Moment with 40 per cent and Elite Living with 10 per cent.

Choksiri said that 65 per cent of new membership would come from Asian markets and the rest would be from Western countries. TPC anticipates that the new members will generate membership fees of Bt2 billion.

The firm expects some members will also make investments in Thailand, generating more than Bt23 billion this year.

"We are in talks with an Australian member who wants to invest Bt10 million in an eco-tourism business in Thailand. Another Australian will invest Bt3 billion in moulded automotive parts, while a Hong Kong member plans to start a biotechnology company with an investment cost of Bt100 million," Choksiri said.

blah blah blah.... and Joe Schmuk plans to spend a trillion baht on a spaceship manufacturing center... and a Turkish billionaire wants to spend 4 billion baht on a SIM card data recorder business... and blah blah blah

The company currently has 824 members from all over the world. That figure is lower than previously announced expectations for the first year.

wow... from the one million planned, they only need 999,176 more members... they're almost there... just a few more milleniums and I'm sure they'll reach their goal

The company also revised its long-term target membership from one million to only 20,000 members for the next five years.

hahahaha..can someone with better math skills tell me what the percent decrease this is? quite the revision downward.

The lowered target should allow the company to be more selective in inviting new members.

hahahaha... it's not people being selective in chosing not join the Elite program...it's the Elite program being selective in chosing members.

It also plans to increase the membership fee from Bt1 million to Bt5 million in 2010.

makes sense to me.... can't get enough members? increase the fees five times as much... terrific marketing strategy

To introduce more benefits and privileges, TPC has joined with world-class hotels such as The Oriental Hotel Bangkok, The Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai, Chiva-Som International Health Resort, Shangri-la Hotel and the InterContinental.

The company will also offer a three-day, two-night vacation package for US$1,000 (Bt39,500) including full-service accommodations, spa treatments, transportation and 24-hour butler service.

wow... only 20,000 baht a night? sounds like a great deal... pencil me in for the weekend of the 30th

Still nothing about foreigners owning land either. The only appeal it has for me is the 5 year visa (and land ownership if that ever happens).

Hmmmm, $25,000 US (1,000,000 baht) (now) for a 5 year visa ? Or 12 border runs a year at 2,500 baht each (150,000 over 5 years) ? (I'm too young for a retirement visa, have to wait a few more years for that !)

Nah, I think I'll wait until it's 5 times more expensive, and then still won't buy it.

One of Mr. T's worst ideas:

2,000 new Elite Card users targeted in 2005

Published on Apr 24 , 2005

"We are in talks with an Australian member who wants to invest Bt10 million in an eco-tourism business in Thailand.

wow... only 20,000 baht a night?  sounds like a great deal... pencil me in for the weekend of the 30th

Eco as in ecology? Here? Surely they must mean E Coli...

Still nothing about foreigners owning land either. The only appeal it has for me is the 5 year visa (and land ownership if that ever happens).

Hmmmm, $25,000 US (1,000,000 baht) (now) for a 5 year visa ? Or 12 border runs a year at 2,500 baht each (150,000 over 5 years) ? (I'm too young for a retirement visa, have to wait a few more years for that !)

Nah, I think I'll wait until it's 5 times more expensive, and then still won't buy it.

That's right - you'll save five times as much. :o