Bank Account And Apartment In Manila

Hey All,

I'm interested in possibly moving to Manila, and have some questions on getting set up there.

How easy is it to open a Bank Account and rent an apartment on just a tourist visa/visa on arrival?

What documents will I need to show to open a bank account? What documents will I need to rent an apartment?

If anybody can give me the names of any Banks or addresses/names of apartments that require less documentation from foreigners then perhaps some others do, that would be quite helpful.

Regards

I'm sorry your post has had no responses, as a few people would be very interested in this information.

And your one of those people? and not one who has an answer to it?

??????????????????????

Don't you think that's kind of clear from my post? If I had an answer I would post it.

I'm sorry your post has had no responses, as a few people would be very interested in this information.

??????????????????????

Don't you think that's kind of clear from my post? If I had an answer I would post it.

Fair enough :) Well then hopefully somebody will come along with an answer at some point

??????????????????????

Fair enough :) Well then hopefully somebody will come along with an answer at some point

Actually, with your permission, I will pose the questions on a Philippines board which I am a member of, if you would like.

Hi Ivan,

I opened an account at BPI (Bank of Philippine Islands) with just a tourist visa and some basic ID, no problem. Now, they did put a rather long hold (45 days?) on the U.S. check that I used to open the account. And, since the check was in US dollars, the account was what they called a US dollar account (go figure). But I could still withdraw money (from teller or ATM) in Philippine Peso, or dollars... My choice.

I don't know about renting in Manila since I built my own place in Bataan. But I would think that if you have the dosh, then you can rent without problems.

Enjoy the Philippines, but just like anyplace else, watch your back.

Edited by jlaaway

Hi Ivan,

I opened an account at BPI (Bank of Philippine Islands) with just a tourist visa and some basic ID, no problem. Now, they did put a rather long hold (45 days?) on the U.S. check that I used to open the account. And, since the check was in US dollars, the account was what they called a US dollar account (go figure). But I could still withdraw money (from teller or ATM) in Philippine Peso, or dollars... My choice.

I don't know about renting in Manila since I built my own place in Bataan. But I would think that if you have the dosh, then you can rent without problems.

You can actually open accounts with BPI over the internet now. You fill out the paper work over the web, designate a bank branch where you will pick up your ATM card, and then when you get to the Philippines you visit that branch and make a initial deposit and collect your ATM card.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Hi Ivan,

You can actually open accounts with BPI over the internet now. You fill out the paper work over the web, designate a bank branch where you will pick up your ATM card, and then when you get to the Philippines you visit that branch and make a initial deposit and collect your ATM card.

Very useful info. Thanks.