Pattaya Education Visa Update

maipenrai2010

I am a 2nd year student which enables me to obtain my Non Immigrant Education visa. The advantage is no visa runs and of course, studying Thai language. You are not obligated to attend classes but after what just happened to me, I am encouraging it even more.

I feel my Thai is fluent but that is mostly self taught. This morning I went to immigration in Jomtien to extend my visa as I do every 90 days when my passport was passed to another officer who began peppering me with idle chit chat questions about how long I've lived in TL, where do I live, what is my rent per month, and other subjects that were all on an intermediate level.

Do not expect "what your name, where you come from sexy man."

Consider yourself warned.

There is a chance he just was bored and wanted to give you some real life training in the language. I doubt you having problems understanding or making errors in reply would have any consequense for your visa. If anything it would prove that you needed more school :) Afterall, we learn at diffrent speed and age do have an influence in that process.

There is a chance he just was bored and wanted to give you some real life training in the language. I doubt you having problems understanding or making errors in reply would have any consequense for your visa. If anything it would prove that you needed more school :) Afterall, we learn at diffrent speed and age do have an influence in that process.
I think that is false. There are other reports that people who are poor are being warned improve next time or the extensions will stop.

I think that is false. There are other reports that people who are poor are being warned improve next time or the extensions will stop.

Again, that's NOT up to the Immigration people.

The only one who is entitled to ask for exams and their results is the Ministry of Education. It's also the MoE who has to submit documents in order to extend the ED-visa with another 90 days or maybe even 12 months. In these documents is stated what the progess is of the particular student.

To the OP: You must and have to attend classes for at least 180 hours per year and you're allowed to skip 20% of the classes. The language school has to prove with attendance reports how things are going.

Then you doubt that some people have been warned at Thai immigration? OK, if you say so, but I can't imagine why they would invent such stories. You can get all legal eagle, but the real legal reality is that granting extensions is always up to the discretion of your immigration officer. They can say no, and there is very little you can do to appeal negative decisions.

Edited by Jingthing

^^ It most certainly IS up to the Immigration Police. You are in their office filing for a visa extension, not at the MoE being graded. What makes you think that the Thai Immigration are going to do this 'by the book' and let MoE people test for proficiency?

As the OP says, if you are here working a fast one on ED visas, better get your grades up to snuff.

"The only one who is entitled...." Give me a break. This is Thailand; you left your rights on the baggage carousel on arrival.

Edited by NanLaew

The only one who is entitled to ask for exams and their results is the Ministry of Education. It's also the MoE who has to submit documents in order to extend the ED-visa with another 90 days or maybe even 12 months.

Blimey ! What planet are you on??

As other posters have stated..........your extension most certainly IS in the hands of the Immigration Officer.

The only one who is entitled to ask for exams and their results is the Ministry of Education. It's also the MoE who has to submit documents in order to extend the ED-visa with another 90 days or maybe even 12 months.

Blimey ! What planet are you on??

As other posters have stated..........your extension most certainly IS in the hands of the Immigration Officer.

I didn't state otherwise and since I'm still living on planet Earth, that's why an Immigration Officer isn't qualified to test ED-visa holders on their progress.

Just try this one: If an immigration officer asks you nasty questions, put a THB 1,000 note under the table............you pass the test without even answering!!!!

didn't state otherwise and since I'm still living on planet Earth, that's why an Immigration Officer isn't qualified to test ED-visa holders on their progress.

Just try this one: If an immigration officer asks you nasty questions, put a THB 1,000 note under the table............you pass the test without even answering!!!!

This may work or you may find yoursef facingfurther testing in the detention centre awaiting deportation.

didn't state otherwise and since I'm still living on planet Earth, that's why an Immigration Officer isn't qualified to test ED-visa holders on their progress.

This may work or you may find yoursef facingfurther testing in the detention centre awaiting deportation.

Learn to ask the subtle question in Thai, and give the bribe is the officer reacts favorably.

But I just had another thought: what if you do "too well" in the test?

Could they also refuse to renew because you've learned enough already?

Learn to ask the subtle question in Thai, and give the bribe is the officer reacts favorably.

But I just had another thought: what if you do "too well" in the test?

Could they also refuse to renew because you've learned enough already?

Chances are the Imm MiB have already that trick up their sleeves.

You just don't pass money under (or across) the table; especially in a <deleted> police station (which is what the Jomtien Imm office really is). That is a newbies perception of Thai graft based on.... maybe one or two motorcycle helmet police interactions.

Once again, if you are cheating on the reason you want to "legally overstay" in Pattaya, the Imm Police have the right to cheat you out of that privilege.

I didn't state otherwise and since I'm still living on planet Earth, that's why an Immigration Officer isn't qualified to test ED-visa holders on their progress.

You obviously don't have a clue about much, but I hope other people will not try this because they'll risk getting into serious trouble.