New Honda Pcxi 125cc I,

nickthebrit

The idea of a scooter originated in Italy and is meant to carry a driver in city clothing through urban traffic

over a short distance.

Any talk about power, speed and excitement should be reserved for sport motorcycles in the 1000cc class.

To me, a scooter should be like an household appliance, that one uses without thinking too much about it.

A tool that does the job, requiring only minimum maintenance, care and fuss.

In Thailand, comparing power output of various scooter models seems highly academic. They all have "no"

power, but yet are all perfectly capable of doing the intended job.

disagree

some auto scoots (110-135cc) go up the phuket hills with passangers, some are unable to do so. huge difference, lang walk up.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

finally got time to test drive the pcx today. Must say that I was rather happy with the comfort of the ride. The only down size is the weight of the machine. I spend a lot of time riding in city so this is a big turn off. So going to look at the nouvo soon. Hope it's abit lighter and more nimble

PCX top box/ luggage rack. anyone fitted any? need a solution today

There is to my knowledge no "solution" existing today. The sales rep at the big Honda motorbike dealer in Pattaya (Myton on Pattaya Tai) told me that an interface for attaching a helmet box to the PCX would be available in about 1 month. She also said that the typical/standard Givi boxes won't fit, so I am not sure what the options will be. That was 1 week ago. Given how things ago, if what she said is indeed accurate and that such interface is in the works, it will probably be more like 3 months before it is available.

My

My Yamaha dealership told me Mio and Fino were getting fuel injection whereas the Elegance was not..for this year. The head of the neighborhood Honda shop told me, "Yamaha is very dangerous for Honda while telling me he thought Yamaha was getting a 150 c.c. Elegance in the near future.

So take you pick. But I will say this, of my close friends only Ross has the Elegance aside from myself. And we both love them and couldn't ask for more. The other night Ross told mehe had just logged 20,000 kilometers on his Nouvo Elegance and he was wondering then Yamaha recommended a belt change (meaning he is having no symptoms of undo belt wear, noise or any drive problems). I am doing gas mileaage checks of my Elegance for city driving and will soon releaase my results, but I will say that this old fangled carbureated Nouvo is doing pretty well in this department. Ross told me that when he does extensive highway driving he notices a huge difference in his fuel economy.

Bottom line is both of us feel the Yamaha Nouvo is a wonderful machine as is.

I have heard that Yamaha is coming out with a 150 cc Elegance in about 2 months. It may be worth seeing and testing the new Yamaha before jumping on a PCX (as nice as the PCX looks and rides).

Link?

For what it is worth, I was also told that the new Yamaha 150cc Elegance will be about B10,000 less than the Honda PCX (high B50's rather than high B60's). I am a real Honda motorcycle fan, and was all set to buy a PCX, but when I heard about the new 150cc Elegance I have decided to wait and see and drive it before I decide on which to buy. Everyone I know with the 135cc Elegance is very happy with it. I think that the move to 150cc for scooters (especially heavier ones) is exactly right (as would be a move of the Phantom to 400cc). I only wish that Honda had made the PCX 150cc. In such a case, I would already own one.

I just bought a pcx. i never had scooter in my life. And i was just by the dealer and i saw this one, i didn't even look for reviews on the internet, i just bought it. Now i see it is a new model scooter and i was also amazed about how many people were looking at me on the street, and when i park it by a bar.

i only buy it because it was big, i felt stupid on a scoopy.

i think it drives ok. I never driven any other scooter so it is difficult to say.

Only a strange thing was, when i buy it, the dealer did not wanted to sell it to a farang, because they did not wanted the scooter to be exported (that was the excuse). all my papers were ok, but they insisted to register it only on a thai person. so i just asked a friend and now i am driving.

My

My Yamaha dealership told me Mio and Fino were getting fuel injection whereas the Elegance was not..for this year. The head of the neighborhood Honda shop told me, "Yamaha is very dangerous for Honda while telling me he thought Yamaha was getting a 150 c.c. Elegance in the near future.

So take you pick. But I will say this, of my close friends only Ross has the Elegance aside from myself. And we both love them and couldn't ask for more. The other night Ross told mehe had just logged 20,000 kilometers on his Nouvo Elegance and he was wondering then Yamaha recommended a belt change (meaning he is having no symptoms of undo belt wear, noise or any drive problems). I am doing gas mileaage checks of my Elegance for city driving and will soon releaase my results, but I will say that this old fangled carbureated Nouvo is doing pretty well in this department. Ross told me that when he does extensive highway driving he notices a huge difference in his fuel economy.

I have heard that Yamaha is coming out with a 150 cc Elegance in about 2 months. It may be worth seeing and testing the new Yamaha before jumping on a PCX (as nice as the PCX looks and rides).

Link?

My Nouvo did 32k km before 990 baht belt replacement and Nouvo MX did 55k km. Repaced them when noisy and felt sluggish up the hills.

Elegance has a 14cm longer auto box, and the belt is probably that much longer too, reducing heat and wear on belt. I d say between 30 and 50k km.

Probably took you 2 to 3 years at least before you had to replace that belt too, didn't it? I've heard a lot of people here complaining about how exorbitant the repairs are on Yamaha Nouvo Elegances and other automatics. Bet it cost you a fortune to pay for those belts and that you wish you were back in the U.S. or the U.K. or wherever where the maintainence costs are so much lower.

My

Link?

My Nouvo did 32k km before 990 baht belt replacement and Nouvo MX did 55k km. Repaced them when noisy and felt sluggish up the hills.

Elegance has a 14cm longer auto box, and the belt is probably that much longer too, reducing heat and wear on belt. I d say between 30 and 50k km.

I just bought a pcx. i never had scooter in my life. And i was just by the dealer and i saw this one, i didn't even look for reviews on the internet, i just bought it. Now i see it is a new model scooter and i was also amazed about how many people were looking at me on the street, and when i park it by a bar.

i think it drives ok. I never driven any other scooter so it is difficult to say.

Only a strange thing was, when i buy it, the dealer did not wanted to sell it to a farang, because they did not wanted the scooter to be exported (that was the excuse). all my papers were ok, but they insisted to register it only on a thai person. so i just asked a friend and now i am driving.

They told you BS my friend. Think they probably didnt know how to do it in your Name. But if you did buy in one of the Places where Expats live, then you should have changed Dealer. I hope you know that you dont own the bike now and your Friend can take it away from you when he/she wants.

OH Yes, They played you good. I live in a small village I am the only farang. My new PCX is in my name. I agree with previous post, they just didn't know the process to do it. Now your "friend" owns a new PCX and he/she lets you drive it. Here's hoping you never make them mad or they will want their PCX back.

You would have felt "stuipid" on a Scoopy, but you didn't feel "stupid" paying almost B70k (maybe you paid more) without any investigation of the available choices whatsoever (there are many more out there than just a Scoopy, as this thread indicates, at half to 60% of the cost of a PCX) and then registering your new toy in the name of a friend (who, but the way, is the legal owner of your new ride) because some seller says he doesn't want it exported (????) -- as if he would care what happens once it is bought and paid for (assuming you paid cash and didn't finance the thing). In case you weren't aware, no matter where you live in Thailand, there is more than 1 Honda motorcycle dealer within any 5 km radius. Wow! I guess that is the difference between feeling and being!

Yes i did paid cash. maybe i should have looked better, i just woke up with the idee of buying o scooter and i bought it the same day by the first shop i saw here on sukhumvit. i also dont have a license plate on the thing, how long does that normally take before you get it?? I stay in bkk and i think i maybe dont even use the scooter because it tried it and you can not go quick between the traffic (its to big). i would go much faster on a small 50cc motorcycle. But i have it now, so i should try to use it a bit. and now i also feel how hot it is standing in a traffic jam.

Probably took you 2 to 3 years at least before you had to replace that belt too, didn't it? I've heard a lot of people here complaining about how exorbitant the repairs are on Yamaha Nouvo Elegances and other automatics. Bet it cost you a fortune to pay for those belts and that you wish you were back in the U.S. or the U.K. or wherever where the maintainence costs are so much lower.

5 years, both of them. Not bad. more maintance and cost for my 2 Waves sprocket and chains

Yes i did paid cash. maybe i should have looked better, i just woke up with the idee of buying o scooter and i bought it the same day by the first shop i saw here on sukhumvit. i also dont have a license plate on the thing, how long does that normally take before you get it?? I stay in bkk and i think i maybe dont even use the scooter because it tried it and you can not go quick between the traffic (its to big). i would go much faster on a small 50cc motorcycle. But i have it now, so i should try to use it a bit. and now i also feel how hot it is standing in a traffic jam.

They should have put a red plate on it before you drove out of the shop. The rew plate is exchanged for a white plate after about 3 weeks. You need to go back to the shop you bought the bike and get it sorted out, and quickly.

..... i also dont have a license plate on the thing, how long does that normally take before you get it?? I stay in bkk and i think i maybe dont even use the scooter because it tried it and you can not go quick between the traffic (its to big). i would go much faster on a small 50cc motorcycle. But i have it now, so i should try to use it a bit. and now i also feel how hot it is standing in a traffic jam.

They should have put a red plate on it before you drove out of the shop. The rew plate is exchanged for a white plate after about 3 weeks. You need to go back to the shop you bought the bike and get it sorted out, and quickly.

Wrong, not for a scooter. wait up to 3 months for the plate. just keep you bill etc in the bike storage. OP, try twisting the throttle a bit more, it will surprise you. :)

I have a Click and a Phantom, (bought in Pattaya), BOTH came from the shop with a red plate, which were exchanged for white platea about 3 weeks later. The Click was bought in Nov 2008, perhaps the rules have changed since I bought mine.

haha, i allready went to the shop. and they say i needed to wait for the plates. so we wait. does anybody knows the topspeed...or the slowspeed?

i take the taxi today, i think i just did stupid buying a scooter when you live on sukhumvit in bkk.

post-101946-1267530796_thumb.jpg

Yesterday Honda send me by post a coupon for a free check up for my PCX at any Honda dealer.

Mmmm...

Actually it is not a check up. Last week Honda released a service bulletin. They have re-torqued the drive belt. 10 minute process.

TO ALL That have a Honda PCX. There is a recall because of possible drivetrain problem. I saw it on Mocyc.com.

Not a recall. A service bulletin. Go to your honda shop. They retorque the drive belt 10 minutes. REPEAT it is not a recall. It is a service bulletin.

It's a modified nitrous injected 6.8 lt Pontiac engine in my 1976 Transam. Thanks for the interest.

But do you have that car in thailand? i tried to get my car in thailand but that is not going to happy, because they simply dont let it in...yes they do but if you hear the price they gave me then you really dont want it here.

could the Guys talking about nitrous injected stuff please stop to fzuck this thread and open there own thread or pm each other?

Why, to difficult for you to ignore a post or two. You sound like yet another one whose lady has yet another headache. Cool down, have a beer or buy your lady an asprin. :D

:) start a new thread!