Yearly Car Registration Renewal "grace Period"

The registration card (red one stuck to my windshield) seems to say it's valid til Jan 18 of this year.

However, I've heard that there is a "grace period" in which you're allowed to drive your car without being caught... that it's okay to use it for much longer after that date. :D

True or false??

And, if true, how long is the "grace period?" :)

Wow! Both posters above are so witty! It's unimaginable that such clever witty people exist! One is even an Admin!

:)

Anyone "less clever" with a more productive answer?

That's ThaiVisa for you. This is not a democracy, this is a place where moderators main priority is to create an environment that generate as many posts as possble, to generate revenue. Flaming is half decently handled but rude and disrespectful posts are almost totally ignored. There are many nice people with interesting things to say here but the disrespectful and rude are the most vocal which tend to pollute the forum.

About practical jokes like the ones above: OK, I laughed out loud too actually

About the OP's question: You will be fined the first day, don't take the motorway to Chonburi until you've paid, they often stand there

Edited by MikeyIdea

If you drive the car after the Tax has expired you will still need to pay for it from the day it expired... so, pointless to do it.

Agree...

But my issue is that my I want my CTPL insurance renewed together with my comprehensive insurance this time, which is set for renewal around 3 weeks after my old registration/CTPL expires.

*My old CTPL is from a company other than my comprehensive insurance. It's better if they're the same so they don't "pass the buck" in case of an accident.

My comprehensive insurer told me to just let it expire and then renew insurance together; then register car afterwards because anyway, there's legally a "grace period".

I just want to confirm if this is true or not, and if the cops would pull me over (real experience pls, not the useless "of course they will, they just want your money, etc.".

This comprehensive insurer is a Forum Sponsor, Thaivisa Insurance (AA Insure), who has given me pretty good service so far.

That's ThaiVisa for you. This is not a democracy, this is a place where moderators main priority is to create an environment that generate as many posts as possble, to generate revenue. Flaming is half decently handled but rude and disrespectful posts are almost totally ignored.

Relax mate.

I'm actually very happy for hkt83100... what he isn't able to achieve in real-life, he has succeeded on an internet forum; at least now he has one fan; and an almighty Admin at that! :)

I have previously renewed my expired registration many months late due to not being in the country to visit the transport office.

However I always made sure that my first drive in the car was direct to the transport office to make the registration renewal.

The registration is renewed from the date that your previous one expired and you are fined for not having renewed on time.

Real experience: My wife forgot to pay and I was indeed stopped by the police at the second pay station on the motorway (coming from Bangkok toward Chonburi) about 6 months ago. I was less than a month overdue and I happily paid them 200 bath to avoid the hassle.

If you drive the car after the Tax has expired you will still need to pay for it from the day it expired... so, pointless to do it.

Agree...

But my issue is that my I want my CTPL insurance renewed together with my comprehensive insurance this time, which is set for renewal around 3 weeks after my old registration/CTPL expires.

*My old CTPL is from a company other than my comprehensive insurance. It's better if they're the same so they don't "pass the buck" in case of an accident.

My comprehensive insurer told me to just let it expire and then renew insurance together; then register car afterwards because anyway, there's legally a "grace period".

I just want to confirm if this is true or not, and if the cops would pull me over (real experience pls, not the useless "of course they will, they just want your money, etc.".

This comprehensive insurer is a Forum Sponsor, Thaivisa Insurance (AA Insure), who has given me pretty good service so far.

Insurance companies can issue policies that are something other than 1 year.  Tell company what you want and don't accept cannot do for an answer.  I did it for two vehicles and both polices were something other than 1 year so they would match up the following year with registration.

Remember your dealing with people that can't think outside the box but once you get someone with an open mind they will understand what you want and make it happen. Don't give up.

Edited by ballbreaker

For some reason I thought my tax was due up in November - So, at the end of October when I was pulled up for my tax being 2 months out of date I knew the cop was on the make hoping I'd just pay and go. It was quite amusing and I laughed, played along and argued cheerily that no way was it out of date.

It turned out that my Tax was indeed two months out of date ! it cost me B100 to the Police Offer and my thanks for spotting it as I really didn't know it was out of date.

I got my tax updated the following day (Valid for 12 months from the original expiry date).

It is my understanding that IF your tax is out of date and you are driving TO the department of land transport then you will not get fined. However, articulating this little grey area of the law to a Policeman hungry for his bribe maybe easier said than done.

• 4 weeks later...