Emergency Visa Problem!

Hi all,

I need quick help on this! Background: US Citizen, married to Thai citizen on November 13, 2009. I originally arrived in Thailand on August 22, 2009, made several Laos visa runs before getting a Tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in Vientienne on November 2nd. Both my Thai wife and I looked at the Visa at the time of issue and noted that it said 'Enter before: 1 Feb 2010' so we though we were issued a 90 day visa. Tonight my wife was looking at my passport and noticed an obscure stamp on the next page that said 'Admitted until: 1 Jan 2010'. We are both surprised and confused.

What should we do?

Go to Vientienne tomorrow and try to re-enter to obtain another 2-weeks so we can avoid accruing any more 500 baht/day fines? Should I go to the Thai Embassy for another extension? Will they issue me one since I overstayed my previous visa?

I want to hear about any red flags that I should look out for (anything I should do or should not do), it would be very very bad to be marooned in Laos (over some technicality) and not be able to get back into Thailand I am currently without the funds necessary to fly back to the States in such a worst-case scenario.

It is January 4th, Monday night and I hope someone is reading this post tonight and can respond with some insight. Thank you all!

the visa you have is probably for 60 days. you can extend it for 30 days as a normal tourist. You can also have 60 days extension based on marriage. For such a short overstay you'll pay 500 baht a day, a blue stamp for your overstay but no consequences.

You have a 3 day overstay. Tomorrow it will be 4 days. 2,000 Baht fine.

Cross the border and pay the fine and apply for a visa at a Thai Consulate. Or just return for another 15 days.

Just make sure that you do not get stopped on your way to the border.

You may also be able to pay the fine at Immigration Office in Thailand the choice is yours.

They may give you a 60 day extension based on marriage. Maybe 30 days tourist extension. Maybe 7 days as you are on overstay. It is their discretion.

The 1st Feb date was the date by which you had to enter Thailand. The lengh of stay is 60 days.

Single entry tourist visas are generally issued with a 90 day 'use by' date. Suspect you entered the Kingdom on 3rd Nov (day after visa issued) and got 60 day permission to stay on entry expiring on 1st Jan.

You are now on overstay. How long do you plan to stay?

- You can go to immigration and obtain a 30 day extension on your tourist visa (fee 1,900 baht) but will have to pay overstay fee (500 baht a day) too.

- Or you can obtain 60 day extension of stay from thai immigration on basis of Thai wife (fee 1,900 baht) plus pay overstay fee.

- Or go to the border, pay the overstay fine, and re-enter on 15 day visa exempt entry (30 day visa exempt entry by air).

If you go for 30 day extension to tourist visa you will need to take with you completed application form TM7, recent passport sized photo, copies of your passport photo page/visa/arrival stamp + TM6 departure card. Fee 1900 baht (+ overstay fee).

If you go for 60 day extension on basis of Thai wife, visit Immigration with wife taking with you marriage certificate, wife's ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), completed application form TM7, copies of passport pages/TM6 departure card + passport photo. Some offices are also asking for photos of you and wife around the house and map to house. Fee 1900 baht (+ overstay fee).

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc