So Looking Back On 2009

2009 was a great year; problem is, it was the last year of the worst decade in history. If you were lucky enough or smart enough to invest only in one year you have done a great job. Most of us need more than one year's performance however.

Agreed for folks who entered this year early they did well as it was a big bottom.

But I wonder for the longs that started from a giant loss....were they made whole/ much less made a profit this year too?

Edited by flying

2009 was a great year; problem is, it was the last year of the worst decade in history. If you were lucky enough or smart enough to invest only in one year you have done a great job. Most of us need more than one year's performance however.

10 year basis, down about 25% in price, down about 25% in underlying currency to purchase, down about 25% +/- in inflation. It payed a sweet approx. 2% annual dividend for most of that time though.

post-25601-1262783086_thumb.png

OK, that last bit was sarcasm.

Your an honest guy, I am sure this thread will be full of guys that claim to have went all in on the market bottom, that is typical. I sold allot of Canadian bank stock into the rally and broke even , I didn't want to take any chances. Plus there was that stupid pullback in June, that was just after I sold so I felt good for a week or so. I made some money on gold stocks toward the end of the year.

Your an honest guy, I am sure this thread will be full of guys that claim to have went all in on the market bottom, that is typical. I sold allot of Canadian bank stock into the rally and broke even , I didn't want to take any chances. Plus there was that stupid pullback in June, that was just after I sold so I felt good for a week or so. I made some money on gold stocks toward the end of the year.

Mutual Fund cash holdings are approaching an all time low suggesting we are in for tough times ahead.

10 year basis, down about 25% in price, down about 25% in underlying currency to purchase, down about 25% +/- in inflation. It payed a sweet approx. 2% annual dividend for most of that time though.

I guess that's the beauty of us all having different investment strategies.

I'm very happy that USD as well as US stocks have deliberately been a minor part of my portfolio for the last decade, and probably will continue to be for the next decade. :)

We also need to be careful using equity indices for a variety of reasons. One of my favourites examples of this relevant to OP's thread in Thailand is Aberdeen Growth mutual fund vs the SET Index. This is my largest single holding here, as well as my longest. The mutual fund is up over 300% since its inception in July 1997, compared to a measly 5% on the SET.

I guess that's the beauty of us all having different investment strategies.

I'm very happy that USD as well as US stocks have deliberately been a minor part of my portfolio for the last decade, and probably will continue to be for the next decade. :)

We also need to be careful using equity indices for a variety of reasons. One of my favourites examples of this relevant to OP's thread in Thailand is Aberdeen Growth mutual fund vs the SET Index. This is my largest single holding here, as well as my longest. The mutual fund is up over 300% since its inception in July 1997, compared to a measly 5% on the SET.

The reason I post the S&P 500 is because most fund managers don't beat it. Yes, many do in some years.

Globally things looked only a wee bit better:

post-25601-1262944598_thumb.png

The reason I post the S&P 500 is because most fund managers don't beat it. Yes, many do in some years.

Globally things looked only a wee bit better:

What you say is probably true from an American/Western perspective and looking at the west and developed markets. It's true that most developed markets: US, UK, Europe, Japan etc didn't fare too well in the 2000's. Very much a contrast to the 1990's.

Geographically the story has been elsewhere, particularly in the East and emerging markets like the BRICs and Latin America. Here we're often talking gains well into hundreds of %. Wandering myself throughout Asia in the 2000's, its potential and the inevitable shifting of at least some power has been highly visible, and fortunately reflected in the stock markets.

When it comes to Asia in the 2000's, it's been: See it, live it, invest in it and enjoy! - Not to say there haven't been, and won't continue to be a few dips along the way though! :)

Edited by fletchsmile