More Tuk-tuk Trouble In Phuket

webfact

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

HATE tukTuk drivers and most of Phuket people but have to agree: He agreed to the price! I always tell friends "IF" you are happy with the price then dont bother finding out if yuo can get it cheaper because you probably always can! Phuket and many places now are just rip offs anyway, I avoid them like the plague. Just come back from CHEAP CHEAP Siep Riep: same thing starting to happen there! Actually more expensive than Thailand now I beleive!

Wont be going back soon thats for sure

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your all missing the point apart from the expats that live in phuket. The thai logic is there will always be planes full of tourist same same.

It had nothing to do with Thai logic or any reasoning whatsoever. It was an angry outburst on the spur of the moment.

Did you miss the report about the Governor of Phuket calling a tuk-tuk crisis meeting in October. The only people who need to apply logic are the governing authorities who can police this. At least they are talking.

Exactly! So this being the case I live here, in Thailand, and I respect the laws and customs of this country. If I take a taxi, tuk tuk, whatever, I agree a price and I pay it. I do not haggle once services have been rendered. I realise that with respect to Thailand I am inexperienced but in ANY country, once a price has been agreed and services have been rendered, the price must be paid. I also agree that the tuk tuk driver was wrong to resort to violence but one cannot expect him to be happy if a customer, whether he feels he has been ripped off or not, refuses to pay the agreed fare after the guy has been delivered to his destination. I am lucky because my wife does the haggling and when she does it is all very good natured and the deal is struck. Maybe in time my spectacles will become less rose tinted but I for one, have never been so happy and I just cannot understand why so many people choose to live here, yet are obviously very unhappy with their lot. Speaking personally the good in Thailand FAR FAR outweighs anything the UK has to offer and I am very glad that I have many friends (Thais) who have helped me out in many ways and been nothing but polite, courteous and friendly, including taxi and tuk tuk drivers. Maybe it is because I live far from the general tourist areas, maybe it is because I am green about the gills, who knows. I do not intend any offence by my posts and as you can see I have refrained from posting for the last 18 months but I do tire of seeing constant Thai-bashing on here when we ALL have the choice of whether we live/holiday here or go home.

Ok, so your wife does all your negotiations. Now you're going a step further and stating that the Canadian tourist is not respecting the laws and customs of this country...and you're even accusing disgruntled members of Thai-bashing.

Let's get a few points sorted for you because you are way off track.

1. I don't know about the UK, but back in Australia if a person got into a limousine (they don't use meters) and was charged a ridiculous fee to go a very short distance (say double the normal price) I can guarantee many people would refuse to pay. When it became obvious that the passenger was being taken for a ride (ripped off) because he didn't know the area and how close it was, most people I know would refuse to pay. In Australia they would probably say something like "get f**d, I'm not paying that, along with some other appropriate expletives. Australians have a strong sense of fair play. Perhaps people in England are more complacent, I don't know but what I'm getting at here is speak for your own country not mine (you say ANY country).

2. No one is Thai-bashing here. We are bashing the dishonest tuk-tuk drivers who happens to be Thai.

3. Your wife holds your hand through all negotiations, yet you have no sympathy for tourists that don't have such a luxury when here on vacation.

4. When a tourist gets in a tuk-tuk and asks to be taken somewhere, he expects to be charged a fair amount. He's heard great things about Thailand with its LOS reputation and doesn't expect to be over charged. The passenger had no idea his destination was only a few blocks away because the fare indicated otherwise. Civilized tourist destinations have protection against this sort of thing and people come here expecting it to be civilized. Civilized tourist destinations post warnings about scams in hotels and tourist brochures.

5. You harp on about the amount the passenger is haggling over i.e. 50 baht and say it's insignificant for you. For many people being ripped off is not about how much. It's a matter of principle.

Edited by tropo

One thing to take note of:

- The TOURIST most likely had NO IDEA that it was ONLY a 1 minute ride. So while 150 baht seems ok at first, when shown that it was merely a long stone-throw, one are ALLOWED to protest the high charge.

You have to be kidding! I hope I never do business with you. It no reality is it ever OK to go back on your word. Even if it means you get ripped off from time to time. Anyone who agrees to one price, but then tries to get the same product or service (in this case a ride) for less than the negotiated price is absolutely no less of a low-life than the person who charged 'too much'. If you do not know what a fair price for a service is, the onus is on you to find out. If you fail to do so and you get ripped off, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Two more thoughts, if it is that close, then how much quieter could it be? And, as a tourist don't you expect to pay a little bit extra? I don't condone violence of any sort, but then again I don't feel sorry for this guy either.

Hahahahaha, wow...you will have a great time in Bangkok. You say, in reality it is never ok to go back on your word? Then for the love of God, don't do business in Thailand. You will have many-many-many broken 'gentleman's agreement' here with the real business people. But I digress...

Those of us who live here know that tuk tuks are not a cheap form of transport for a Farang tourist He should have got a taxi meter if he was that worried about the cost

You DO realize that taxi-drivers are assaulted if they show up there so there are NONE around?

So, no, there is no option to take a taxi instead...

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

what kind of idiot are you to suggest the tourist is wrong to query what is in a reality a complete rip off of a fare and then gets assaulted for doing so - you've been in LOS way to long if you agree with tuk tuk driver - they all lie blind and cheat and rob at every chance - so i doubt anything that they say bears any truth

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreement between 2 parties 150 baht. Then onesided the paying side decide to NOT honour the agreement he just made.

There is no defending whatsoever with violence, But agree with someone, and you shall pay fullstop

Then I think you are not an idiot if you think this Canadian guy has been acting stupid like hel_l. That is my opinion.

Glegolo

I think you can refrain from calling people idiots here, it easily reverts. And anyone with some still working brain cells can determine who the idiots may be on this topic. Back to topic. I ask you now. You, Glegolo, have booked a hotel with a nice view and a shower at a fairly high price and when you arrive, you discover that the nice view is a building site and your shower is a bucket with cold water. According to what you said what the attacked man should have done, you in this case would have just accepted the situation and paid the high price for your room. Without saying anything? I doubt that very much.

UPDATE: Phuket tuk-tuk assault case

phuket-Mr-Tassanarit-lifts-his-shirt-to-reveal-abdominal-bruising-that-he-claims-was-the-result-of-a-kick-by-Mr-Anwar-1-jSXRtei.jpg

Mr Tassanarit lifts his shirt to reveal abdominal bruising that he claims was the result of a kick by Mr Anwar.

PHUKET: A Patong tuk-tuk driver charged with assault for allegedly beating a Canadian tourist has been granted bail.

Tassanarit Damthong, 30, handed himself in at Kathu Police Station at 3pm on Tuesday.

He was arrested and charged with the assault of Canadian tourist Ivan Bob Anwar, 51.

Mr Anwar claimed he was punched five times after refusing to pay 150 baht

for a one-minute tuk-tuk ride from the north end of Patong to Kalim on

Tuesday afternoon.

For previous report click here.

Initially denied bail, Mr Tassanarit was released yesterday after his wife posted 40,000 baht in surety.

Both Mr Anwar and Mr Tassanarit arrived at Phuket Provincial Court at 1:30pm yesterday for preliminary hearings.

Mr Tassanarit told the court that it was Mr Anwar who struck first.

After arriving at the destination in Kalim, opposite the Sunset Beach Resort,

Mr Anwar became angry over the fare price and refused to pay, he told

the Court.

The Canadian then rudely pointed a finger in his face and kicked him in the chest, the tuk-tuk driver claimed.

Mr Tassanarit lifted his shirt before the Court to reveal bruising on his

stomach, which he claimed was the result of Mr Anwar kicking him.

Mr Tassanairt told the court that after being kicked by Mr Anwar, he

retaliated and punched Mr Anwar once in the face, causing him to fall

and hit his head on the tuk-tuk.

Members of the Patong Tuk-Tuk

"Club" who attended the hearing said that Mr Tassanarit planned to file

assault charges against Mr Anwar.

Mr Anwar’s version of events

was very different. He told the court that Mr Tassanarit punched him

five times after he refused to pay the 150-baht fare.

Court proceedings finished at 5.30pm.

Out on bail, Mr Tassanarit left with his wife and members of the Patong Tuk

Tuk Club. He said they intended to go to Kathu Police Station to file

charges against Mr Anwar for assault.

Kathu Police duty officer Jongserm Preecha this morning told the Gazette Mr Anwar was at Kathu Police Station and will be charged with assault for kicking the tuk-tuk driver.

He will not be able to leave Thailand until either the case is cleared or he confesses to the assault chargeand pays a fine.

Mr Anwar was due to leave Phuket at 10am today for his return trip to Tokyo, but he had to postpone the flight.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

One thing to take note of:

- The TOURIST most likely had NO IDEA that it was ONLY a 1 minute ride. So while 150 baht seems ok at first, when shown that it was merely a long stone-throw, one are ALLOWED to protest the high charge.

- It is NEVER acceptable to resort to physical abuse over a dispute over a bill.

I agree that it is never acceptable to use violence but it also unacceptable (and pretty stupid) to negotiate a fare then to refuse to pay it especially in a foreign country .

No, it is not and you have the protection of the law to have a re-negotiation over a deal of this kind. Your attitude promotes scams.

So the canadian guy fell on the tuk tuk. he should pay damages for any paintwork scratched with his head, too. Ummmm, what ever happeend to the charges against the tuk tuk sdrive. Now Mr Anwar has to pay a "fine" to leave Godforsaken Phuket..curioser and curioser...

phuket-Mr-Tassanarit-lifts-his-shirt-to-reveal-abdominal-bruising-that-he-claims-was-the-result-of-a-kick-by-Mr-Anwar-1-jSXRtei.jpg

Mr Tassanarit lifts his shirt to reveal abdominal bruising that he claims was the result of a kick by Mr Anwar.

PHUKET: A Patong tuk-tuk driver charged with assault for allegedly beating a Canadian tourist has been granted bail.

Tassanarit Damthong, 30, handed himself in at Kathu Police Station at 3pm on Tuesday.

He was arrested and charged with the assault of Canadian tourist Ivan Bob Anwar, 51.

Tuesday afternoon.

Initially denied bail, Mr Tassanarit was released yesterday after his wife posted 40,000 baht in surety.

Both Mr Anwar and Mr Tassanarit arrived at Phuket Provincial Court at 1:30pm yesterday for preliminary hearings.

the Court.

The Canadian then rudely pointed a finger in his face and kicked him in the chest, the tuk-tuk driver claimed.

Mr Anwar's version of events

Kathu Police duty officer Jongserm Preecha this morning told the Gazette Mr Anwar was at Kathu Police Station and will be charged with assault for kicking the tuk-tuk driver.

He will not be able to leave Thailand until either the case is cleared or he confesses to the assault chargeand pays a fine.

Mr Anwar was due to leave Phuket at 10am today for his return trip to Tokyo, but he had to postpone the flight.

pglogo.jpg

If the guy agreed to pay 500 baht a night for a hotel and then only pays 300 baht because the room was not what he expected dont you think there would be a problem?

Yes, you can and many have done so successfully.

Exactly how uneducated are you people that repeatedly claim one cannot negotiate any service that wasn't up to the expected standard?

In other news, I have a bridge I need to sell...

:) Sydney, London or Golden Gate...? If I buy all 3 can I get a discount?

If the guy agreed to pay 500 baht a night for a hotel and then only pays 300 baht because the room was not what he expected dont you think there would be a problem?

Yes, you can and many have done so successfully.

Exactly how uneducated are you people that repeatedly claim one cannot negotiate any service that wasn't up to the expected standard?

In other news, I have a bridge I need to sell...

The tuk tuk driver claims that the tourist refused to pay the full amount. THEN, after refusing to pay the full amount, kicked the driver in the chest.

Why?

Even the apologists for the tuk tuk driver can find some kind of semi-rational explanation for his assaulting the tourist- for initiating the violence.

Can any body explain what might have prompted the tourist to initiate violence-

Wouldn't it make more sense to simply refuse to pay- rather than refuse to pay AND (in a foreign country no less) commit a crime that in Canada would net him probable jail time?

I'm sorry- the driver's explanation makes no sense--- UNLESS the kick came AFTER the driver had initiated or threatened violence-

The driver had 'reason' to initiate violence- (the tourist was refusing to pay the full amount).

The tourist had none. By refusing to pay the full amount, he had already 'won'.

(Interesting too, that the tuk tuk driver's defense appears to hinge NOT so much on the refusal of the tourist to pay the full amount- but rather on the tourists assault- ie- I was acting in self defense.

Yet some of the apologists for the tuk tuk driver on this thread appear to think that simple refusal to pay is in itself grounds for a shti kicking. Suggesting that even the tuk tuk mafia in Phuket has a better grasp of the limitations on the legitimacy of violence than some of 'us'.)

Edited by blaze

Tuesday afternoon.

the Court.

pglogo.jpg

Certainly there were eyewitnesses according to the initial report, what do they say, or have they now been threatened by the 'Patong tuk tuk club"? Could not have the tuk tuk driver given himself that bruise to back up his claim?

I don't think the charge was too excessive. If two people are moving hotels then their luggage is being moved as well. It's $5 Australian or $2.50 for each of them, hel_l you can't complain about that.

Again another poster that says it was ONLY a specific amount in their currency, bla bla bla. Seriously, if you don't know the value of the Baht for locals and don't mind paying several times the daily wages in fee for substandard quality, then by all means, PM me and I can offer that for whatever you are seeking.

However, many people don't like the idea of being ripped off or might even be on a smaller/local income and know that if someone tried to cheat someone to the value of a daily wage or more (as reported in other threads, with fares going to 700 that in metered taxi [if they were allowed to operate] would be some 70 baht) then that is a very bad thing for the industry as a whole also...

Such cynicism, surely not! He looks such a fine upstanding type who would never resort to such depths of deception

Tuesday afternoon.

the Court.

pglogo.jpg

Certainly there were eyewitnesses according to the initial report, what do they say, or have they now been threatened by the 'Patong tuk tuk club"? Could not have the tuk tuk driver given himself that bruise to back up his claim?

Kicked in the chest. Bruised in the belly. The plot thickens ...

BTW, the driver's story is basically impossible to believe.

If this Canadian tourist ends up in Thai prison over this, oh, that makes me sick to even think about it.

Edited by Jingthing

1) The customer likely did not know how far/long the trip was

2) The customer likely is not socially aware of the barganing protocols. It's OK to protest after the fact in western countries.

3) No one has the right to beat the cr_p out of anyone else over anything.

4) The taxi driver should have a "professional" obligation to inform clients what they are getting for the fare. Distance/time estimates.

5) Who says that the tourist has a sense of the value of the currency. Is 3000 lao kip a lot of money? Lot's of folks arguing why fight over 50 baht, but in this case, the overcahrge principle may have had more relevancy than the actual amount involved.

6) Why did the taxi driver not call the police if he thought he had been cheated or been assualted?

When its all said and done, I beleive that most taxies are absolute a-holes. They know that they are explointing tourists. They drive with total diregard to the saftey of thier patrons, and any one else on the road. They drive drunk. They ignore traffic laws cos they "paid their police buddy already this month".

I really sympathise for good taxi drivers. The ones that are polite, helpful and safe. They get paid next to nothing, and the put up with a lot out there on the roads. I am all for them making more money. But the other bunch deserve to get deported to burma (or is that "back to" Burma)

Edited by Businessman

Wether the price was fair and reasonable is immaterial. He agreed to a price of 150 Baht, he was duly transported to his new destination and he didn't want to pay the agreed price, in my book this is wrong, he should have paid up and marked the incident down to experience.

This is not making excuses for anybody, passenger or Tuk Tuk driver, it's just bad form to accept the deal and then reneg.

Wether the price was fair and reasonable is immaterial. He agreed to a price of 150 Baht, he was duly transported to his new destination and he didn't want to pay the agreed price, in my book this is wrong, he should have paid up and marked the incident down to experience.

This is not making excuses for anybody, passenger or Tuk Tuk driver, it's just bad form to accept the deal and then reneg.

Renege. Schmenege.

You do realize your post most certainly DOES sound like you are making excuses for the violent assault by the tuk tuk driver. Why not own up to what you are saying rather than pussyfoot around?

I haven't read all 13 pages of this thread yet and I do sympathize with the Canuck. It is not a nice feeling to be ripped off. In some situations I would say so too, in some, I wouldn't. It's always a good thing to assess risk before acting. If you want to fight, count them and count you. If it is 10 to one...running is a better option...fight later. But.....

He (according to the story) was with his wife. What an idiot. Protect your woman.If you need to keep your mouth shut and pay a buck and a half...then do that. I'll bet she's real happy with him.

Been in Phuket once. Never go back. I like my 30 baht meals, polite service and friendly locals here in Chiang Mai.

I lived in Phuket for a few years.

This canadian needs to pay up and get out of there.

The problem is starting to snowball. He could quickly get in over his head.

In Phuket-- the whole town is in on the rip off game. (exceptions-of course)

I can understand thai language, and you wouldn't believe the attitude these people have towards foreigners.

everyday a new load of happy and polite tourist show up. it's like fresh chum for the street level sharks lurking all over phuket.

every new controversy is shrugged off cause the next day brings a new load of happy and unaware tourists.

I have lived all over thailand.

phuket (patong) is a totally different vibe.

at the street level it is way more edgy and aggressive.

they are not concerned about customer service or repeat customers.

the best way to experience phuket is to stay at one of the resort hotels. they are awesome and first class service. sometimes with their own stretch of beach. Also, if you want to go to town, they can shuttle you in with a hotel van.

if you are low budget ( like me! )------walk. ignore the sharks ( drivers-vendors-tours- etc.) and you can still enjoy the nice beach.

oh-and to clarify:

tuk tuks in patong are small daihatsu trucks that are modified into fee taxis. they are totally different than the pattaya system, and are night and day different from the changmai asnd issan guys with the motorcycle tuk tuks just making an honest baht driving people around.

the tuks drivers in patong truly are whacked out thugs preying on happy tourists.

the thugs are grouping up on the canadian guy. best to pay and get out and not go back.

Hearing that the farang might be further victimized is depressing. I hope any authority hearing that will chastise the driver for filing a false claim.

From the photo, I can't see a bruise, can you?

Of course, it's outlandish to picture the farang kicking the driver, after paying a lower-than-agreed upon fee - unless he was actively threatened or in the throes of being beat up.

For the people who say, 'why didn't he just pay the added amount, and avoid the doctor bills, wounds, and additional hassles?' Duhhh... he didn't know all this garbage would ensue. It's like saying, after you fall through a breach in the sidewalk (which happened to a farang at Phuket), 'why didn't you just walk around the weakened section of the sidewalk.' ....everything is clearer in hindsight.

And to further the pizza analogy: If I call up for a pizza, and ask whether they have a 12 inch size, and the pizza person says, yes. When the pizza arrives, it's 12 inches in circumference instead of 12" in diameter, then I'm going to be annoyed and feel ripped off.

For the sake of decency, the judge should do the right thing, fine the driver triple hospital costs (2 x 3 = Bt.6,000) and send a message to indecent tuk tuk drivers that they're going to have to take responsibility for their bad behavior.

12 pages and counting this normally means this is a real problem and need to be fixed. Meters. Is the only answer I can find. Turn the Tuk-Tuk drivers into honest working men in stead of thieves and hustlers. This type of behavior effects more people then you could ever guess.

Meters will only be effective if they're tamper-proof and used responsively. To get tuk tu k drivers to accept and use them will be like insisting surfers to wear iron lungs while surfing. Even if meters are instated, the drivers will find all sorts of ways to wheedle out of using them (not work, no need, mai pen rai, .....)

No return trip to Phuket for me and family.

I am by no means defending the driver punching the guy, but when we go to bargain for something, shouldn't we know what we are bargaining for? Didn't Mr. Anwar have a tourist map that showed some relative distances? I mean, he had decided on where he wanted to move to somehow. He made a deal, reneged on the agreed upon price after the transport was provided, and trouble ensued. All that for 50 baht?

It's all very well to say: Didn't he have a tourist map and check the distance, etc.

Do you do research about everything in life before you actually depart the house / hotel or whatever.

Surely not. And surely there are times, especially for people who are very trusting, when we ask questions and accept what they are told as truthful and sincere.

Perhaps he had been slightly misinformed by the new hotel (if he had contacted them of course), or someone at the old hotel, about the distance and therefore initially though it was further away.

On the other hand, if it was accurately just one minute, why didn't the tuk-tuk driver advise him of this and show some honesty and sincerity and help build a positive image for Phuket.

On the other hand why was it necessary for the driver to call a second person? Was he perhaps assaulted by Mr Anwar and therefore called for reinforcements to protect himself? Or was it just typical mafia approach of call the mafia gang at the drop of a hat?

and I bet they will find a lot of eyewitnesses wich proof the TOURIST hit or kicked the poor tuk tuk guy, anyway, he looks very aggressive and is not totally white I guess....so what :)

I hope Mr. Anwar will not loose his job in Japan. Japanese parents won't like a gaijin teacher with bruises anyway.

Hope this tuk tuk guy not made up this bruises by himself.....

GREAT COMERCIAL FOR A TOURIST DESTINATION LIKE PHUKET

THANKS TO TAT AND THE AUTHORITIES FOR ALL THE ACTION TO SAFE TOURISTS FROM HARM, GO ON, YOU DO A GREAT JOB

I would love to see Mr. Anwar completely vindicated in court. Should the charges be thrown out, I would love to see Mr. Anwar sue the driver for loss of earnings accrued in Japan.

This type of story is showing just how low Thailand has slipped in terms of the rule of law and how utterly feeble the system is. The absurdity of Mr. Anwar having to stay, meanwhile a certain felon is allowed to visit the Olympics is obvious. We all know what probably transpired, instead we have a situation that a bloke is detained to answer a case that is going to be thrown out all, meanwhile, the tuktuk driver will probably get off scot free. Somchai meanwhile is on the front page showing his grevious wounds that aren't visible to the naked eye and required no hospital treatment at all. But of course, he couldn't be lying.

All this over 50 bht over an issue that could be solved in just about any other country in the world because there would be a living breathing legal system that would mandate how much the fare should be. But of course, this is too complicated for Thailand to implement. I hope Mr. Anwar puts his feet up in Phuket and sees it through to the bitter end.

Capitalism, suppy and demand baby. If more people would start walking to where they need to go then the tuk-tuk buisness would lose money and then they might lower there prices.

Can any of you say you would have told the tousist "no 150 is too much", if you were the tuk-tuk driver? NO you would not have, you would have gotten AS MUCH AS YOU COULD! Just like this driver.

That said, this tourist agreed to a price then reniged on the deal. If he negotiated a bad price, oh well. Next time he would now to go for a cheaper rate. Once an agreemant has been reached one should do the honorable thing and keep your end of the bargain. There is a term for trying to renig and renegotiate contracts after they have been signed, wont mention it here, use your imagination.

The violence is another matter, but if the tourist indeed did kick him, then he got what was coming. And i hope he gets charged also!

I can not count on times in Thailand where I have bartered with the TUK TUK guys about the price, once that price is set that is what I pay... If I feel I overpaid I take that as a lesson learned and move on, 50B will not break the bank for me... Especially if the ride is for 2 people! 25B each, hardly anything to argue over...

I might tell the driver I think it was expensive but I still pay that amount, fair is fair... Just because I thing it was not worth it does not make it right for me to complain...

Put it in western terms...

You have a computer problem, you cant fix it... You take it to a young kid and ask if he can fix it, he tells you 150B... you say ok, he press ten buttons in a special order and your computer is as good as new... would you then argue that it was too expensive? Guess not, you would be happy and leave... You pay for the knowledge as well, not only the service...

The guy did not know where the hotel was, the taxi driver did... They agreed on a price, finished...

The result here is over the top, but then again, he should have paid and walked away!