More Tuk-tuk Trouble In Phuket

webfact

quieter area

usually the quieter area in chaingmai had a low rental rate - compare to hotel in the mid of town and easier access to hot spot .

in another words it sound to me like a Cheaper place

---------------------------------------------------------------------

i see many trigger happy people here who care less about what really happen and is happy to jump on the meat wagon .

Edited by Ta22

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

Mr. Anwar had agreed to pay 150 Bath and should feel responsible to pay, even though he find that it is well too much for a one minute ride, but what other choice would he have, if he did not want to walk.

You dont get a tuk-tuk ride in Phuket cheaper than that, and I assume that all TV members have tried to be overprized by the tuk-tuk mafia, when visiting Phuket. Certainly I have too, but I just paid the agreed fare without using violence. 10 minutes later I rented a motorbike to get around the island, as I will never again support this kind of organized rip-off, and I never go back to a business where I onze have felt overprized.

Edited by Xonax

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

what i hope, is that people like you are living in Phuket and staying forever there.

Do not come to polute Isan with thought like this!

Thai law is the same in Esarn as in Phuket, you must pay what you have agreed on.

I am absolutely not defending the tuk tuk mafia, and i hope he remains in jail.

The tourist could also be facing legal action if its true he didnt pay as agreed on

seem like the canada guys is apply his canada law here and the thai guy is apply his thai street law here .

i suggest sending the thai tuk tuk guy ti canada jail and the farang guy to thai jail .. cos he did run away from a payment - is as good a stealing .

seem like the canada guys is apply his canada law here and the thai guy is apply his thai street law here .

i suggest sending the thai tuk tuk guy ti canada jail and the farang guy to thai jail .. cos he did run away from a payment - is as good a stealing .

So you don't think he made up the 50 baht being a punching bag?

Why do people think these tuk tuk / taxi drivers and rich thais are untouchable ... Yes i phuket that maybe be the case.

If you ever have a problem with a rich / well off thai in thailand do not act on it in thailand becuase u will be in trouble. But alot of well off Thais have vactions outside of thailand and when Thais leave thailand they change and become very shy and vbaulabe. If you have a problem. Hire a private detcive from Bangkok and ask them to find out about the person you have a problem with and when they leave thailand where do they go. As soon as you know then the fun begins. Try and get on the same plane as the person and as soon as you are in another country then you can easy sort out your problem with a thai. He will not want to fight when his Borther , his boyfriend !! and all his friends from the village he is from are not there to help him them kiss him better. I have heard not many but a few stories like this. I no you need a bit of money to do this but it will be well worth it.

just to add: If you order a pizza delivery you can't tell that the pizza isn't as big as you thought so you just pay 2/3 of its price.

Of course hitting the tourist was wrong, calling the police instead would be right.

So you don't think he made up the 50 baht being a punching bag?

i do pity him .. in my VIEW is his karma he started it and is his Karma ..

i believe in KARMA .

-----------------------------------------------------

this is fun i had not reply to the forum for a while now . an had only read it out of fun but this is so fun :) whhahahah remind me of my good old days of finger workout with bad spelling

whahhahahhaha

Public transportation in Phuket is a MAJOR disgrace. However, the price was agreed to and the customer was wrong. Not only was he wrong, he was stupid. All for 50 baht!

That's kind of irrelevant, isn't it? Why is it on the motoring forum whenever people post about problems with driving in Thailand, do you NEVER hear people pipe in with, don't bother with your own vehicle, walk or use public transportation like I do and you won't have those problems, in fact you deserve those problems for running your own vehicle. Yet almost ALWAYS on topics about the problems with public transport, people pipe in with get your own vehicle. Its really ridiculous.

Edited by Jingthing

again and again this kind of news story from Phuket.

fries love shit . and this shit sell !!!! since when we read about news on how a tuk tuk driver stop to help a old people .

or some thai return a wallet with 3000b inside .. cos is boring .. and not NEWS worthy .

whahahhaha this is the FARANG Experience

"standard fee 150 baht" for a one minute ride. who set the "standard fee", tuk tuk owners, drivers or the governors office?

Unfortunately the number of tourists we hear will not return to the island makes it's name (the island that is) quite prophetic ....err....Pfukit!!!....forgive the play on 'word' but this tourism trauma is long remembered and repeated....

very sad from my lovely memories of same 20 years ago.....

:)

"standard fee 150 baht" for a one minute ride. who set the "standard fee", tuk tuk owners, drivers or the governors office?

Unfortunately the number of tourists we hear will not return to the island makes it's name (the island that is) quite prophetic ....err....Pfukit!!!....forgive the play on 'word' but this tourism trauma is long remembered and repeated....

:)

And from there, not a big stretch to

Phuket -- fagedaboutit!

Apart from the fact that these tuktuk drivers are plain Mafia and over-charge all the time, a deal is a deal!

I am sure we all have our experiences where we are charged way too much by tuktuks, taxis and other transport for a destination that was around the corner (IF we only had known :D ) That happens in unfamiliar places.... BUT not only in Thailand :)

Fighting over 50 THB is never worth it :D

Apart from the fact that these tuktuk drivers are plain Mafia and over-charge all the time, a deal is a deal!

I am sure we all have our experiences where we are charged way too much by tuktuks, taxis and other transport for a destination that was around the corner (IF we only had known :D ) That happens in unfamiliar places.... BUT not only in Thailand :)

Fighting over 50 THB is never worth it :D

Sure but the real value of such a ride without mafia in the context of the Thai economy was more like 30 - 40 baht total. So 100 was generous.

I would have been annoyed too but I think I would have handed over the 150 baht after agreeing the fare. Hopefully the authorities will seize the opportunity to clean up the tuk tuks in Phuket. They should either set a standard fare that it clearly visible on the vehicles or mandate meters that would probably mean getting rid of the tuk tuks which would be good riddance to bad rubbish. In Bangkok where there is a choice I avoid them like the plague and only take about one a year when there is no other choice. In Hua Hin they are a menace due to their gross overcharging too.

Edited by Arkady

I believe that in English law he would be liable to pay the amount he contracted for if the Tuk Tuk driver did not mislead him.

He made a mistake, he should swallow and honour his word, all the rest is emotional claptrap. There is not a lot of emotion in Thailand. :)

I highlighted the important thing in your post. And the source of the mans argument.

Now if all apologists would stop and think before they came here to the rescue of a criminal...

just to add: If you order a pizza delivery you can't tell that the pizza isn't as big as you thought so you just pay 2/3 of its price.

Incorrect, you can NEGOTIATE if the service or item you received was not up to your liking.

Claiming otherwise is not only ignorance of the law, it is promoting scams.

well not everyone can thinking logically , and also foresee the time and financial lose that one self cause .

so next time . if this happen to anyone of you , the Smart Question is

is it worth the Time and cost over that 50b .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True value . is a funny statement .

there is no true value in anything .is only what we AGREE on .

Well the pasengers obviousy didnt know it was one minute away otherwise they would have asked for a better price and may have walked.

I am by no means defending the driver punching the guy, but when we go to bargain for something, shouldn't we know what we are bargaining for? Didn't Mr. Anwar have a tourist map that showed some relative distances? I mean, he had decided on where he wanted to move to somehow. He made a deal, reneged on the agreed upon price after the transport was provided, and trouble ensued. All that for 50 baht?

I have to agree with bubba if this is the situation. However, there is no need to escalate anything into a fight over a lousy 50 baht. I find it hard to believe that a man with his wife along would start a fight and initiate it with a kick. But, none of us here were there at the time and we only have the hearsay of one person. However, given the bad reputation of the tuk tuk drivers in Phuket, it does smell a bit.

I think it is very foolish of Mr Anwar to not have researched where the new hotel was located. And, sometimes you just have to accept the results of your own foolish actions. I once had to bail myself out of a nasty situation in Angeles City with a knife. I didn't really feel all that angry at the crooks stealing my money. I shouldn't have let myself get in that position in the first place.

:D

Phuket -- fagedaboutit!

Fa....who? Sounds like a small city outside Karachi :)

Phuket -- fagedaboutit!

oopps..... FagetAboutIt..... gotcha.... :D

Phuket -- fagedaboutit!

I find it hard to believe that a man with his wife along would start a fight and initiate it with a kick. But, none of us here were there at the time and we only have the hearsay of one person. However, given the bad reputation of the tuk tuk drivers in Phuket, it does smell a bit.

I agree. I find even harder to believe that the Canadian kicked the tuk-tuk guy and waited for him to call his friend.