More Tuk-tuk Trouble In Phuket

webfact

Apart from the fact that these tuktuk drivers are plain Mafia and over-charge all the time, a deal is a deal!

I am sure we all have our experiences where we are charged way too much by tuktuks, taxis and other transport for a destination that was around the corner (IF we only had known :D ) That happens in unfamiliar places.... BUT not only in Thailand :)

Fighting over 50 THB is never worth it :D

Yeah a real fair fight hey........Bloke held by an accomplice so the tuk tuk driver belts the crap out of him.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ta22: Are you trying to win an 'Apologist of the Year' award? Slow down, it is only January...

555555555555555555555 ( whahahhahaha )

shift to lower gear ----

----------------------------

you sure one Thai look like he is also farang

post-77846-1262775841_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ta22

well not everyone can thinking logically , and also foresee the time and financial lose that one self cause .

so next time . if this happen to anyone of you , the Smart Question is

is it worth the Time and cost over that 50b .

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True value . is a funny statement .

there is no true value in anything .is only what we AGREE on .

That is 100 percent wrong. You are talking about a real free market, not a mafia market ruled by violence. The true value IS clearly under 50 baht. I am accounting for the high costs of Phuket, obviously in Isaan it might be more like 20 baht. However if a non-mafia private Thai tried to exploit that market and come to free will agreements with customers, he would be murdered. By the mafia. Now that's the truth.

Edited by Jingthing

The guy should have paid 150 baht and been on his way. Don't protest over a buck and a half. One thing I've learned in foreign countries is to pick your battles. Are the tuk tuk drivers in Phuket rude? Yes. Are they thugs? Yes. Is there another way to get around in Phuket if you don't have a car or motorbike? No. So negotiate the fare and pay what you agreed to. Case closed.

You don't have a clue what this is about do you? It's not about a 50 baht fare dispute, it's about:

1. How the tuk-tuk drivers resort to extreme violence at the drop of a hat.

2. How ridiculously overpriced the tuk-tuks are.

That is 100 percent wrong. You are talking about a real free market, not a mafia market rules by violence. The true value IS clearly under 50 baht. However if a Thai tried to exploit that market and come to free will agreements with customers, he would be murdered. By the mafia. Now that's the truth.

would be nice if nobody pay more then 50b for a tuk tuk trip and if so . i am sure the price would be 50b , but that is just theory

and in reality ..

That is 100 percent wrong. You are talking about a real free market, not a mafia market rules by violence. The true value IS clearly under 50 baht. However if a Thai tried to exploit that market and come to free will agreements with customers, he would be murdered. By the mafia. Now that's the truth.

would be nice if nobody pay more then 50b for a tuk tuk trip and if so . i am sure the price would be 50b , but that is just theory

and in reality ..

Your reality, back there in Cloud Cuckoo Land. Really, do a little research on the behavior of monopolistic mafias and their pricing power before you make an even bigger fool of yourself.

Another example, when mafias demand protection money, if you don't pay they will break your legs or worse, do you actually believe the amount paid by the vicim is "agreed" upon? There is no choice. And for public transport on Phuket, there is also no choice other than dealing with these violent mafiosi.

Edited by Jingthing

seem like the canada guys is apply his canada law here and the thai guy is apply his thai street law here .

i suggest sending the thai tuk tuk guy ti canada jail and the farang guy to thai jail .. cos he did run away from a payment - is as good a stealing .

Wait a minute................who ever said he ran away without paying???? The poor guy was ASSAULTED with VIOLENCE by TWO ATTACKERS. Wake up and smell the jabba please.

just to add: If you order a pizza delivery you can't tell that the pizza isn't as big as you thought so you just pay 2/3 of its price.

As big as you thought? Or as big as they said?. What if you ordered a 15inch pizza and they gave you a 12inch?

Those who say a deal is a deal are ignoring that the tuk-tuk driver probably said it was far away, so 150bt. But it wasn't far away...

I am guessing that the tuk-tuk driver broke the deal first.

The only recourse the tuk-tuk driver could legitimately follow is to call the cops (not that they would be much help).

Edited by wjmark

Like the duty free scam last summer this one will be forgotten unless some Embassy or major International Newspaper feature this story. Then it would become a matter of saving face and a crackdown on tuk tuks would be announced. :)

Suggestions to meter tuk-tuks are ridiculous, if only because it assumes they would use them. Despite years of protest, boycott, negotiations and an agreed fare premium sometimes larger than the fare, taxi drivers on samui still regularly refuse to use meters. Have just spoken to a young lady charged ฿500 for Lamai to bus station, about double the metered fare for the distance.

Suggestions to meter tuk-tuks are ridiculous, if only because it assumes they would use them. Despite years of protest, boycott, negotiations and an agreed fare premium sometimes larger than the fare, taxi drivers on samui still regularly refuse to use meters. Have just spoken to a young lady charged ฿500 for Lamai to bus station, about double the metered fare for the distance.

It wasn't that long ago that Bangkok taxis would not use their meters. Now mostly they do. Its ridiculous unless there is strong governmental force to enforce it. But possible, at least theoretically.

Mature readers of this forum realize that you should only approach tuktuk drivers with caution and you take your life in your hands if you try to renegotiate a deal after arrival at your destination. :)

Confucious say: You cannot change Siam but Siam may change you :D

The problem is they do it all the time..

I used to live at the top of the hill behind Patong.. The only times I ever used them was with guests or a tuktuk of girls back to the villa.. Even if I 100% specified where and 'top of the hill' and they agreed they would often stop at the bottom, where its now a few 100m of steep hill and renegotiate. If you wouldnt pay more it was then get out and pay full price (for less than a full ride)..

This happened as much as 50% of the time..

One thing to take note of:

- The TOURIST most likely had NO IDEA that it was ONLY a 1 minute ride. So while 150 baht seems ok at first, when shown that it was merely a long stone-throw, one are ALLOWED to protest the high charge.

- It is NEVER acceptable to resort to physical abuse over a dispute over a bill.

Succinctly put. And I am sure we all agree.

caf

You can choose to refuse service or do not buy it. that why i stand with what i said .

Wait a minute................who ever said he ran away without paying???? The poor guy was ASSAULTED with VIOLENCE by TWO ATTACKERS. Wake up and smell the jabba please.

maybe i should had said walk away from payment .

-- tell me if you are a Taxi driver in your country ,, and a thai . took your taxi .. and refuse to pay full fare as agree between you .

what would you advice . or what would you had done .

-------

and if you are in such a problem what would you had done .

-------

of cos when we talk about it is so easy .. cos nobody was there and we are all assuming . and of cos .. feeding on forum reply for the fun of it .

whahhaha the more we reply the more thaivisa is happy about it . cos is a forum to gain whahhahahha

anyway .

i am enjoying reading but not long as it being drag too long

have a nice night i am going for some great food and i just called a tuk tuk to fetch me :)

is 100b and i usually tip him 20 - 50b

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

Lot of speculation about the rudeness and kicking. And rudeness justifies a kicking 2 on 1 in your book?

And Mr anwar probably did not know it was a one minute journrey and therfore a rip off.

"I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays."

caf

I'm sort of sad there are peole like you here.

A bargain is a bargain. If you negotiate out of ignorance and make a bad deal, pay up and try smarter next time.

On the other hand, the tuk-tuk driver and his unnamed friend should get some jail time (and maybe restitution for the victim?) for resorting to violence to settle the disagreement.

Someone says take away his licence. Why? At least now he's working. Take it away and he's likely to start assaulting for profit.

A bargain is a bargain. If you negotiate out of ignorance and make a bad deal, pay up and try smarter next time.

On the other hand, the tuk-tuk driver and his unnamed friend should get some jail time (and maybe restitution for the victim?) for resorting to violence to settle the disagreement.

Someone says take away his licence. Why? At least now he's working. Take it away and he's likely to start assaulting for profit.

No driver convicted of violently assaulting customers for any reason should be allowed to ever work again in that industry. The job is driving, not assaulting. He belongs in jail, not the roads. That is one thing the government could do to at least moderate the violence in that industry. It wouldn't stop the thievery but if there were real serious consequences to violence against customers over a period of time, maybe that would serve to reduce that.

That fare was a ripoff, but if there was a dispute at the end, the driver should have just called the police. Most likely the customer would have paid the 50 just at the threat of that, and the matter would have been resolved without blood.

Edited by Jingthing

One thing to take note of:

- The TOURIST most likely had NO IDEA that it was ONLY a 1 minute ride. So while 150 baht seems ok at first, when shown that it was merely a long stone-throw, one are ALLOWED to protest the high charge.

You have to be kidding! I hope I never do business with you. It no reality is it ever OK to go back on your word. Even if it means you get ripped off from time to time. Anyone who agrees to one price, but then tries to get the same product or service (in this case a ride) for less than the negotiated price is absolutely no less of a low-life than the person who charged 'too much'. If you do not know what a fair price for a service is, the onus is on you to find out. If you fail to do so and you get ripped off, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Two more thoughts, if it is that close, then how much quieter could it be? And, as a tourist don't you expect to pay a little bit extra? I don't condone violence of any sort, but then again I don't feel sorry for this guy either.

If he agreed to 150 Baht he should have been a gentleman and kept to the agreement even if it was expensive.

Those of us who live here know that tuk tuks are not a cheap form of transport for a Farang tourist He should have got a taxi meter if he was that worried about the cost

If he disagreed that strongly all he had to do was call the Tourist police . After all that is what they are there for

Edited by johncat1

Just once I would love to see those drivers try that on some bad ass and get their arms broken, not able to drive or work for 6 weeks.

Why are there no vigilante falang here? The time is now! :)

Funny you should mention that...a work colleague of mine visited Phuket around 3 years ago, hes a big lad, over 6ft and trains for cage fighting...having taken his usual tuk tuk ride home at the end of the evening, the Tuk Tuk driver tried to double up the fare on him, which my mate wasnt having any of, and gave him the usual fare he had been paying every night..Tuk Tuk driver flies in to a rage and starts windmilling...got more than he bargained for in return, so went back to his tuk tuk,, got a knife, ran back and stabbed my mate in the back...fortunately my mate made it, but these scumbags are the lowest of the low, and will kill for the sakes of saving face....vidulantes?...it just aint worth it... as usual, we will have to wait until a few tourists have been murdered before something is done

They should have a simple price system. A metered taxi goes about 1.5 km for the first 35 Baht. In perspective, the 150 Baht is an outrageous rip off for a "1 minute ride" which will be less than 1.5 km in distance.

It would be in the interest of other tuk tuk operators, or else folks will be afraid to use them.

In Pattaya, I am not getting on a song taew, unless someone else is on it. Ask me why... too many shake downs and being screamed at when handing over 20 Baht for a 10 Baht ride, this one with fellow passengers. Never any short change or issues in the Don Mueang area. So - Pattaya should do what other provinces is doing right!

I wasn't there but I doubt that canadian would start a brawl, being the one kicking the driver.

Not sure why people are defending the tuk-tuk driver. That driver knew the destination was within 30 seconds drive and the tourist did not. Had he agreed a fair rate and not tried to rip off the tourist, then he (the tuk-tuk driver), could have benefited from further business from said tourist.

Reminds me of the day when the OneTwoGo plane crashed. So many tuk-tuks bringing tourists to the airport full in the knowledge that the airport was already closed and that they would get an extra fare to take these tourists back to their hotels in Patong. I was at the airport at that time and I utterly despise them for their lack of ethics and morals.

The tuk-tuk drivers cannot have it both ways. Either they offer a third world service at third world prices, or they offer a first world service at first world prices.

No-one will agree to a third world sefvice at first world prices...

Simon

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.

I'd have to agree here. Anwar and the driver agreed to 150 baht for the ride, and then after services were rendered, Anwar wanted to offer less. And if it's true that he escalated the situation further by being rude and kicking the driver, then I'm not surprised at the eventual outcome.

I'm sort of happy that people like Anwar won't be returning to Thailand for their holidays.

what kind of idiot are you to suggest the tourist is wrong to query what is in a reality a complete rip off of a fare and then gets assaulted for doing so - you've been in LOS way to long if you agree with tuk tuk driver - they all lie blind and cheat and rob at every chance - so i doubt anything that they say bears any truth

He's probably the kind of idiot that is a man of his word. I know, I know, too many of those sorts on the loose, and we would all be better off if we decided what the fair price for a product is AFTER we have consumed it. What kind of idiot are you to suggest that it is OK to not honor your word. You are only as good as your word, and if your word is no good, neither are you.

I am well aware that tuk tuk drivers are cheats, scums, low life and the like... But their flaws do not make it OK for you to return in kind. They rip you off, they know it, you know it, so be it. Don't like it, don't go there.

Here is a way to fight this.

Someone (outside Thailand) could start a google ad SEO type site all about Phuket. All about lousy things going on in Phuket. With graphic pictures. Constantly updating with new crime scene pictures and tuk tuk attacks, jetski gambits, as there is a never ending stream. Then when new potential tourists suckers think about going to Phuket and they enter Phuket in google, over time this site can go to the first page. These tourists read the site. They tell their friends. The damage is done. Denying all this easy sucker tourist money is the ONLY thing that will put the fire under the butts of the powers that be to take real action to change this.

With any luck such a site could eventually pull in at least as much money as a Phuket tuk tuk driver! Wouldn't it be a public service really to WARN people about what they are going into when they book a trip to Phuket? Its not as if there aren't COUNTLESS tropical beach alternatives they could choose instead.

Lets have some fun and come up with some cool names for this proposed truth about Phuket sites, OK?

Some starters.

Phukethell.com

Phuketmafia.com

Troubleinphuket.com

Forgetphuket.com

Boycottphuket.com

Phuketruinedparadise.com

Not great, just seeding this for more better ideas ...

Edited by Jingthing

Just once I would love to see those drivers try that on some bad ass and get their arms broken, not able to drive or work for 6 weeks.

:)

A serious short-sharp-shock of a purge is required for these animals.

And Ta22, why risk making yourself look naive and typical by defending the lowlife?